LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

If either of you or anyone is interested in my 08 STI 6 speed let me know. I may be purchasing a rebuilt or new one in the next couple of months and quite possibly selling the one that is in my car now.

As far as I know it only needs the 5th and 6th gear cluster per Andrew-tech

Here is a video of the noise and I posted my original comments about this transmission above.

08 STI 6 Speed Gear whine in 6th - YouTube

PM me if any interest and/or a reasonable offer

Guys anyone running this setup and have to adjust the clutch pedal any at all and if so what procedure did you do?

I have a clutchmasters FX300 clutch

I am beginning to wonder if my noise has anything to do with a certain RPM and just more noticable in 6th.

Wondering if I could be having a similar problem to this guy.....

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/6-speed-swap-major-noise-gremlin-please-contribute-85824/

Someone help me out here... I can swap in an '06 STi 6mt with all of my basic drivetrain components..

+

DCCD Controller for STI 6MT, 2005+ 2.5i LGT Auto Driveshaft (for Sedan or Wagon based on what you have currently) or 2007+ Spec B Driveshaft, appropriate 6MT flywheel and clutch, 2005 STI front axle seals (recommended), 6MT shift linkage, 6MT shifter, 6MT shift knob (as a note, most donor sets more than likely won't have a knob as most have been robbed from the junkyards :lol:), 6MT slave cylinder, 6MT clutch fork

?

Edited by BoozeRS05

There are two main recipes for 6MT swaps. They key difference between them is the rear diff ratio. Both use 3.9:1 front differentials, but the later transmissions have a 1.1:1 ratio on the rear output shaft, which requires a 3.54:1 rear diff.

Recipe A - 3.90 rear diff

Transmission options: 04/05 STI*, or 08/09 Spec B

This info is wrong. 07-09 SpecB trannies are 3.54:1 as well. The only 3.9:1 ratio 6mt trannies are 04-05 STIs, 06-09 are 3.54:1 as well (not sure about 10-12, but I'd bet they are 3.54:1 as well).

This info is wrong. 07-09 SpecB trannies are 3.54:1 as well.

Correct. All Spec Bs use the 3.545 pinion & crown gear set, part #38104AA230. Surprisingly this is a different part# (38104AA270) than the 06-07 STi 3.545. Not sure about the 08+ STi, I couldn't find that part#.

06-09 (STi) are 3.54:1 as well (not sure about 10-12, but I'd bet they are 3.54:1 as well).

Yes, the 08+ STis all use the same transmission, part #32000AJ650, trans code TY856UW1MA.

Edited by BlackHole
Kyle "BlackHole"

Yeah. An interesting tidbit: SpecB trannies are different, because despite being 3.54 they are more like pre-06 STI trannies build-wise. Older "weaker" design. That's why the gears/keyways are not interchangeable between SpecB and STI trannies of the same years.

they do have a oil pump which in my book is a positive well at least 07 do..... and spec b gears are interchangeable with 08 and up sti boxes I am currently installing spec b gears into a 2011 sti trans

08 and up do not have oil pump they have slingers. 07 and down have the oil pump

Yes, but the change occurred somewhere mid-MY07 for STI. Don't remember if that was also the case for SpecB. The deletion of the oil pump made the price of the tranny much more reasonable (MSRP lower by $1.5k or more).

funny you say more resonable. When I price new ones, the 07 model is usually more cheap than the 08.

Maybe I should buy a new 07 instead of an 08???

Edited by Scooby2.5

Easy to tell. The one with pump has external pipes to route the oil. The "cheaper" one 100% does not have the pump.

The pump is not needed, a example of serious over-engineering on Subaru's end. Well, yeah, for a rally car it might make sense, but otherwise it not worth it. Many 08+ STIs are raced and no there aren't tranny issues.

I have 08 STI tranny in one of my LGTs, and had 08 SpecB one before, both "pumpless" variants. No issues.

Thanks Mat. I currently have an 08 making noise as you probably read but I'm selling it an buying a new one.

Got any pics of the one with the pump so I can see what to look for

You look for a pipe running along middle of tranny on drivers side cant miss it.

I think they are cool but only there for adding external cooler. Rallispec has used both variation in racing and rally race cars and said they have never had problems with either and assume maybe the wrc pver seas takes advantage of the pipe for external cooling. Even though pump was done away with in late 07 models it was homologated so rally teams could still use it.

If i had a choice id get a tranny with one i know of kniw other tranny with a rotor driven pump that delivers the oil but went for best deal and lowest miles.

Anything else I am missing?

Recipe B

Transmission: 09 STi

Rear diff options: 09 STi

Rear axles: Spec B

Front axles: Regular LGT

Driveshaft: 2.5i 4EAT Wagon/Outback

Small parts:

5MT NSS

6MT shift linkage -included with tranny (direct fit from 08+ STi right?)

6MT clutch fork - included

6MT clutch release shaft - included

6MT clutch slave cylinder - included

6MT throw-out bearing - new purchase

6MT rear transmission mount - included

Reverse lockout cable - new purchase

Downpipe support bracket - new purchase

R180 diff mount from the spec B - included

Clutch fork shaft plug (threaded cap that holds the fork shaft in) - included

Output Shaft Oil Seal (oil seal for the driveshaft interface) - 806735210 - $11.50

Clutch fork spring (spring that connects clutch fork to bell housing) -30546AA060 - included

Inner shift boot - use existing

DCCD controller - new purchase

So I just pulled the trigger on a 2009 STi 6MT and diff from a local wreck. I will be sending it off to Andrewtech next week to have a Spec B 5th and 6th gear installed. Now that I have the major parts for the swap, need to get the minor bits and pieces (driveshaft, axles, dccd, etc). I will keep you guys posted.

Someone help me out here... I can swap in an '06 STi 6mt with all of my basic drivetrain components..

+

DCCD Controller for STI 6MT, 2005+ 2.5i LGT Auto Driveshaft (for Sedan or Wagon based on what you have currently) or 2007+ Spec B Driveshaft, appropriate 6MT flywheel and clutch, 2005 STI front axle seals (recommended), 6MT shift linkage, 6MT shifter, 6MT shift knob (as a note, most donor sets more than likely won't have a knob as most have been robbed from the junkyards :lol:), 6MT slave cylinder, 6MT clutch fork

?

Yes

Also see first post in NSFW 6 speed thread and compare what you wrote

Mods can you put groffs, NSFW and hammer down 6 speed threads in the sticky?

Congrats, what did it cost ya and how many miles?

Thanks.

85K, female driven (I think). Package came out to $2.6K and comes with OEM FW, clutch, PP, fork, trans mount, diff cradle, DP bracket. Missing shifter and slave cylinder though :(.

My "to buy' list includes:

a. shifter assembly

b. slave cylinder

c. wagon 4EAT driveshaft (Outback ok?)

d. spec B axles

e. DCCD controller (probably just get a manual version)

Anything else you could think of?