LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed PNP & Coated Exhaust Manifolds

rubberman

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the crucial manifolds are ported all the way through...

I love my grimmspeed units, they look great and sound pretty cool.

I went ahead and double wrapped the flex section on the crosspipe. No ticking sound just a louder rumble under full throttle. It sounds angry!

It's nearly impossible to port the entire manifolds the whole way through. There are some bends in the parts that just can't be reached. On our manifolds we go in as far as line of sight. On most of the runners this means we get down the ports about 4-5 inches.

Mike

• 1 month later...

My x-pipe just failed, it's leaking exhaust pretty badly right now. I've already emailed GS and plan to follow up with them tomorrow. Looks like it doesn't take that long for a wrapped flex section to fail after all (approx. 6 months).

I installed the new x-pipe in Dec 08, and had to wrap it a few days later because of the loud sewing machine noise that was pretty obtrusive even inside the car. It didn't sound good, even had one person ask if something was wrong with the engine after the install.

No flange leaks were present after the install, used all new gaskets and proper install procedures. Even checked all flanges with soapy water looking for leaks.

To be honest, I think that something was up with the flex section when I got it, hence the loud-ass tapping noise. It's too bad really, I liked the piece but the noise was too much to deal with hence wrapping it. Will have to wait and see if I decide to get another x-pipe and take the chance of more noise issues.

I just got off the phone with Rich. I explained the tapping sound after install and how it was much more pronounced now. He xplained that this was normal due to the highflow crosspipe not having the same sound insulating properties as the stock piece. I also asked about why I had sound problems with it and how so many guys on here did not. He explained that some Subies have more valve / lifter noise than others and that it was normal.

He feels that the exhaust wrap did cause the flex section to fail, and as such there is no warranty. That kind of sucks since it was $200 with coating. I can send the crosspipe back to them for inspection, but I think that it probably won't help me in the end at all.

Looks like I have to decide whether to drop another $200 and live with the noise or just keep the stock piece installed.

I just got off the phone with Rich. I explained the tapping sound after install and how it was much more pronounced now. He xplained that this was normal due to the highflow crosspipe not having the same sound insulating properties as the stock piece. I also asked about why I had sound problems with it and how so many guys on here did not. He explained that some Subies have more valve / lifter noise than others and that it was normal.

He feels that the exhaust wrap did cause the flex section to fail, and as such there is no warranty. That kind of sucks since it was $200 with coating. I can send the crosspipe back to them for inspection, but I think that it probably won't help me in the end at all.

Looks like I have to decide whether to drop another $200 and live with the noise or just keep the stock piece installed.

wow. i don't like the sounds of this. i guess i should unwrap my flex section ASAP. wish i had read this this morning before i went to the shop.

i could have sworn someone said they sent their pipe back because they got sick of the noise and said GS was gonna provide them with a new one. i'm going to see if i can find it...

This is strange...I suspect there was an issue before the wrap. You're not in a super crappy salty road area in the winter like up here in new england or the midwest and 6 months really isn't that long of time for this to fail unless there was a pre-existing issue.

Sorry to hear it.

I'm wondering (and I may have wondered out loud on this before and forgot about it - being old and all), but are those who are getting the "ticking" sound, getting this sound with just the new GS COP and stock manifolds or also with the GS P&P manifolds in conjunction with their new COP? I've got both and have had zero issues with form/fit/function/durability/sound... dunno.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm wondering (and I may have wondered out loud on this before and forgot about it - being old and all), but are those who are getting the "ticking" sound, getting this sound with just the new GS COP and stock manifolds or also with the GS P&P manifolds in conjunction with their new COP? I've got both and have had zero issues with form/fit/function/durability/sound... dunno.

Just as a concise data point:

GS manifolds & GS COP = loud ticking sound for my car.

As of last night, I currently have the GS manifolds installed with the stock COP. There is a slight ticking sound, but very faint and only evident if I am under the car and get close to the COP; otherwise you wouldn't hear it. Seemingly the stock COP suppresses the sound sufficiently vs the GS part. Even with a slight exhaust COP to manifold leak from reusing the gaskets I still can't really pick up on the ticking sound that well.

I just ordered another GS COP & gaskets today ($218 w/ 2 extra UP gaskets). After trying in vain to install the stock COP with the GS manifolds last night and get the flanges perfectly square to one another, I've basically come to the conclusion that even with new gaskets I don't think this combination would seal correctly. I seemingly need slightly more COP flex to align everything perfectly even using the GS install directions.

I did notice that the GS COP instructions do tell you when to tighten the pass. side manifold to UP bolts. The manifold & crosspipe instructions do not indicate when to tighten the UP bolts. I see that they've also added a note about not wrapping the flex section of the COP which wasn't in the instructions that I originally received back in Dec.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/install_guides.php

• 2 months later...
Take your time with the install and put a good wrap job on them and you'll be set. If you want all you can get out of the car, I'd say it's a great way to go especially given the price and even with the ticking sound. Well at least better than stock or going through tubular headers every 2 years.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Probably 5500 miles on my GS P&P, COP and newest UP - no ticking issues at all. I left off my under cover just so I could make sure that everything was good to go, and I've got a slight oil leak around my STI Gauge Pack Sender sandwich that I need to work on, so I'm not sure if the undercover reduces (without it) or amplifies (with it) the ticking noise. Haven't wrapped anything, just using GSes' ceramic coating at this point.

Take your time with the install and put a good wrap job on them and you'll be set. If you want all you can get out of the car, I'd say it's a great way to go especially given the price and even with the ticking sound. Well at least better than stock or going through tubular headers every 2 years.

Why do I need to go through tubular headers every 2 years?? :confused:

Probably 5500 miles on my GS P&P, COP and newest UP - no ticking issues at all. I left off my under cover just so I could make sure that everything was good to go, and I've got a slight oil leak around my STI Gauge Pack Sender sandwich that I need to work on, so I'm not sure if the undercover reduces (without it) or amplifies (with it) the ticking noise. Haven't wrapped anything, just using GSes' ceramic coating at this point.

I am totally confused and I also confused my vendor...... so you had install the GS P&P, COP and UP, you didnt observed any noise from the COP. No need even thermal wrap. Is it just luck? Or you had align it 'nicely'?

I am order my Grimmspeed PnP Exhaust Manifold w/ HiFlow Crosspipe but I cancel it after reading the above postings.... I cannot stand noise. Currently, I am using the APS up pipe so do I should I give it a try on the GS PnP? :rolleyes:

I am totally confused and I also confused my vendor...... so you had install the GS P&P, COP and UP, you didnt observed any noise from the COP. No need even thermal wrap. Is it just luck? Or you had align it 'nicely'?

I am order my Grimmspeed PnP Exhaust Manifold w/ HiFlow Crosspipe but I cancel it after reading the above postings.... I cannot stand noise. Currently, I am using the APS up pipe so do I should I give it a try on the GS PnP? :rolleyes:

Everything from the heads to the turbo is Grimmspeed, including their latest larger COP and UP. No issues at all. Everything aligned perfectly. Am not using wrap of any kind, just their ceramic coating.

seems to be a luck thing. some people have the sound, some people dont. i do, muffled it with header wrap but its still there.

though someone is selling the grimmspeed UP in the classifieds section. they are claiming just the UP is giving them the sound the COP gives for the rest of us.

seems to be a luck thing. some people have the sound, some people dont. i do, muffled it with header wrap but its still there.

though someone is selling the grimmspeed UP in the classifieds section. they are claiming just the UP is giving them the sound the COP gives for the rest of us.

I saw that too, I wonder if it has anything to do with the flex sections.

Archived