LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed PNP & Coated Exhaust Manifolds

rubberman

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I guess I am happy to hear that you took apart the entire exhaust and put it back together and still are getting the sound...re-confirms my lack of an exhaust leak.

but I feel for you, Scooby. I too cant stand out of the norm noises, so I'm going to have to learn to love this one as part of my car's normal operating condition. guess i just need to drive with more music on haha. my main gripe with it is that it interferes with me hearing my wonderful turbo spool

the stock one also had a different flex joint (i think) and that funny heatshield over it. I dunno, I'm putting a new suspension on at the end of the month and will probably wrap it then when it goes up on the lift again. hopefully it cures what ails me...

I had a similar issue when I was using an Injen crossover pipe. It was quiet for a few thousand miles and then began leaking at the flex nafter a track session. I replaced it with a Grimmspeed pipe and it's been fine since. How was the fittment of the crossover pipe when you installed it. Mine was way short and I had to use extera long bolts to stretch it to fit. I was sure I would break something or that it would leak, but no, it's fine.

ScoobySTi07, is the flex section of the crosspipe wrapped? That was what silenced the sound that I was getting.
Yeah the whole thing is wrapped. I can't imagine what it would sound like without it being wrapped. Any other ideas to silence this thing?
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

And these are the coated P&P manis, COP and UP? No noise (ticking or otherwise) from mine and I'm just coated with no wrap (and have not replaced the bottom cover yet)...:iam:
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm just coated with no wrap also.

The 'technique' so to speak isn't really anything... it's just the basic: thread everything a little at a time evenly. Never torque the bolts to the head (or elesewhere) while all the rest are very loose. Little at a time for all bolts until you are next ready to torque it down. If you are careful the only leak will be from a bad gasket or possibly a bad flex joint.

Ticking noises from Grimmspeeds manifolds have been from the cross over and wrapping it cured it. This is from reading others accounts on NASIOC as I have never had an issue for either car.

At least you know that the ticking doesn't affect anything.

Have you thought about having your crossover exchanged?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I had a similar issue when I was using an Injen crossover pipe. It was quiet for a few thousand miles and then began leaking at the flex nafter a track session. I replaced it with a Grimmspeed pipe and it's been fine since. How was the fittment of the crossover pipe when you installed it. Mine was way short and I had to use extera long bolts to stretch it to fit. I was sure I would break something or that it would leak, but no, it's fine.

I had the same problem!! I wound up cutting the flange off of my stock crossover, ground it smooth and used it as a spacer since I couldn't stretch it enough to fit. I contacted Grimmspeed and they acted like I was nuts and was putting it together wrong. Glad to hear it wasn't just me!

And these are the coated P&P manis, COP and UP? No noise (ticking or otherwise) from mine and I'm just coated with no wrap (and have not replaced the bottom cover yet)...:iam:
Yep I've got the coated P&P manis, COP and UP and the noise seems to be coming directly from the cross pipe.

The 'technique' so to speak isn't really anything... it's just the basic: thread everything a little at a time evenly. Never torque the bolts to the head (or elesewhere) while all the rest are very loose. Little at a time for all bolts until you are next ready to torque it down. If you are careful the only leak will be from a bad gasket or possibly a bad flex joint.

Have you thought about having your crossover exchanged?

As for technique I hand tighten everything up then torque everything to the 38 ft-lb spec starting with the manifold to up-pipe - manifold to cross over pipe - manifold to block - turbo to uppipe. That order has worked for me on about a half dozen uppipe and turbo replacements I've done or helped with on WRX's, STi's and LGT's. With no leaks on any of them provided you use new factory gaskets. Hell it worked this time around too I have no leaks just the damn ticking from the cross pipe.

I think an exchange is the next step as I've done everything in my power to ensure the parts are correctly installed.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

please, let me know if you get an exchange and if it does work. I'm going to wrap my crosspipe this weekend and see if it helps at all.

Any way to post a sound clip before and after you wrap?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

i'll try. i tried getting an in-car video of the sound but it seems to be filtered by the camera (like it would with static like noise)...it's a semi-quiet chirping sound, but you can definitely notice it in the car. when GTTuner took a ride he could tell why I would think it was a leak. i've been noticing that I can hear it easier if I put the windows down (especially if i'm driving by walls/guardrails or something that would reflect the sound better into the car), so I'll see what I can do.

i'll try. i tried getting an in-car video of the sound but it seems to be filtered by the camera (like it would with static like noise)...it's a semi-quiet chirping sound, but you can definitely notice it in the car. when GTTuner took a ride he could tell why I would think it was a leak. i've been noticing that I can hear it easier if I put the windows down (especially if i'm driving by walls/guardrails or something that would reflect the sound better into the car), so I'll see what I can do.

I've noticed the same behavior with the sound when passing signs, barriers, etc. Wrapping the cross pipe & flex section resolved this for me.

Those of you who wrap the crossover (or are planning to wrap), did you wrap over the flex section? And would it make sense to wrap the UP and top of the DP as well? or is that unnecessary?

I wrapped the crossover pipe first, noted the ticking sound and then added wrap to the flex section as well. Problem solved when I wrapped the flex section.

Ok, thanks. Would you suggest wrapping the UP as well (and maybe the top of the DP near the turbo)?

IMO it never hurts to wrap things and reduce the radiated heat. I've already got a coated UP and plan to wrap the DP pretty soon.

wrapped it this past weekend and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I barely hear the sound any more, only slightly in the very low RPM range when the engine is not that loud yet. Even then I don't notice it all the time like I used to. When cruising on the highway I would be able to hear it if I accelerated at all, now it's just smooth boxer rumble :D

yep. started at passenger side and wrapped all the way across to driver's side, then back across again to passenger side

I could only get a 50 foot roll of 2" wide wrap, we probably put about 25ft on the crosspipe, and I used a decent amount of what was left over to wrap my intake tube on the AEM

• 2 weeks later...

Archived