LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed PNP & Coated Exhaust Manifolds

rubberman

just installed GS Manifolds/UP/Cross pipe (and cobb dp) and I'm getting an odd sound. I don't think it is this ticking you are describing. Mine is a high pitched flutter or putter sound that is loudest when the car is under load (not even WOT, just giving it a little gas on the highway). I've ruled out wastegate flutter (I can hear the WG flutter and the high pitched noise at the same time, and they go at the same rate). i wish i had some way to type it out to describe it.

just trying to confirm, this is not the "ticking" sound that the rest of you have described, correct?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just installed GS Manifolds/UP/Cross pipe (and cobb dp) and I'm getting an odd sound. I don't think it is this ticking you are describing. Mine is a high pitched flutter or putter sound that is loudest when the car is under load (not even WOT, just giving it a little gas on the highway). I've ruled out wastegate flutter (I can hear the WG flutter and the high pitched noise at the same time, and they go at the same rate). i wish i had some way to type it out to describe it.

just trying to confirm, this is not the "ticking" sound that the rest of you have described, correct?

Did you reuse your old gaskets? Could be an exhaust leak.

all new but 1....spaced out and left it at home but we cleaned it up and put some copper gasket sealant on it. it was between the driver's side manifold and the crossover. the sound doesnt seem like it's coming from there, it's more toward the passenger side...sounds like it's coming from the turbo/IC area.

Sounds to me like you've got a DP-side leak at the turbo. Loosen and then retighten the DP bolts and then check again. I had this same issue when I did mine and it was due to exhaust gas blowing down through the three-layer Turbo/DP gasket on the bottom-side. Alternatively, did you check the O-Ring on the IC to make sure it was seated correctly, before you tightened that all up. Or it could just be that you didn't get that tight enough... All of which would produce sound like you've described. Did you have any difficulty mating the GS Manny's up with the UP - recheck that connection too. Just some quick thoughts.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I finally got some video of the ticking sound before & after wrapping the crosspipe flex section using my video camera, still need to pull the video onto my computer and then upload. Will add a link to this thread in a few days.

i brought it to a tuner today (was supposed to get tuned and forgot to bring my AP to unmarry! doh! it was going to take me almost an hour round trip to go back and get it, so the dyno tune has been pushed back to next week, still running an e-tune from Tuning Alliance for the stage 2 stuff though) and took him for a ride in the car. He claims that it is NOT an exhaust leak. he seems to think it is normal operation, and should be safe to tune. i really dont think it sounds normal, personally. I really want to find someone who knows this stuff to take a ride and listen because I dont wanna pay a bunch of money for a dyno tune, to only go back and have to pay to re-tune when i find out it actually was a leak. just looking for a second opinion on it to confirm that i'm crazy/paranoid or not haha.

with that being said, i am LOVING how the stage 2 feels. the power is so smooth, and it feels much more peppy down low in RPM. just starting normally from a stop makes the car feel lighter than it used to, it now just moves instead of drags for the first 1-2k RPM (and I think this is due to all of the great grimmspeed parts).

the borla got louder, but not too loud at all. I am very, very happy with how the car sounds now. crusing 70-80mph on the highway has a little bit more drone, but nothing uncomfortable. went on a couple hour drive on sunday and had no problems with it, no problems talking to people in the back seat and no complaints about it at all. i dont even hear the exhaust on the highway if i just turn on the music to a normal listening level. and then when i get on it, it just sounds mean. much deeper rumble with more to it. previous to these mods I was tempted to cut out the resonator on the borla. now it is perfect for my taste.

i've got some pictures of during the install but I left my camera down in RI at a friend's house ... ah well, they'll go up when I get a chance to grab it again.

you can swing by my place tmrrw night...i'm only a half hour or so from Waltham...I can take you for a ride in my car so you can hear what an up-pipe leak sounds like :)

I have a pretty good idea as to what is normal so happy to help you out. I can also show you what a valve body looks like out of a transmission..ha...just pulled one out of my spare trans tonight.

PM me if you want to stop by.

I might get in touch with you, but it wouldn't be till later in the week. i'm heading to VT tomorrow early afternoon for a few days. thank you for the offer. i definitely wanna see what a VB looks like heh...

snow05gtRI

I just put a set of grimmspeed manifolds on my car about 2 weeks ago but with no downpipe install (mine was already installed). I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing a similar thing to you. The noise only pops up when the engine under load/high exhaust output (i.e. can't duplicate it sitting in the parking lot idle). It get's higher pitched, louder and faster with higher rpm's and kind of sounds like a cricket on crack.

If this sounds kind of like what you're hearing I'm pretty sure it's a leak in one of the manifold gaskets. I replaced all mine when I did my install but shit happens. Between now and the end of the weekend I'm going to put car back on the lift and pull off the manifold so I can examine all the gaskets for possible wear. I'll let you know what I find.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

wow cricket on crack...you have a way with words, my friend :lol:. that does describe it pretty well...same pitch and quietness as a cricket.

i'm not going to have a chance to do that by this weekend so let me know what you find. though i am going to try and at least check the IC out.

Did you guys adjust the wategate arm at all during install? GS mentions something about that on their site. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I asked the same question when I was preparing to do my install. The answer was no, nobody here had to adjust their wastegate arm at all. After I installed the GS parts, I took the car for a spin and hooked up my AP just to watch the peak boost and I had no change (wasn't over-boosting).

wow cricket on crack...you have a way with words, my friend :lol:. that does describe it pretty well...same pitch and quietness as a cricket.
Yeah somehow that just really described the sound for me :D

Did you guys adjust the wategate arm at all during install? GS mentions something about that on their site. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I had no over-boosting either whether this was normal or an effect of the leak I don't know yet but either way I haven't had to adjust the arm.

Now to the situation report.

I tore the manifold off today to inspect all of the gaskets. Long story short I found no evidence of a leak anywhere between the exhaust port and the bottom of the uppipe. No carbon scarring, no weeping, no nothing. I buttoned everything up and went for a drive hoping that by chance I fixed it. No such luck. I've still got the stupid leak.

Process of elimination now leads me to think it's coming from the uppipe-turbo connection and as I didn't have the patience or time to check it today. I figure since I was lazy and bolted the manifold to the uppipe while it was still attached to the turbo instead of bolting uppipe to manifold then turbo to uppipe. I really don't want to have to undo that connection but I think it is the source. I'll probably just check the downpipe while I'm there though I doubt that's it. I’ll keep you all posted on my progress.

On a side note snow what kind of uppipe do you have? Does it have a flex section?

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

My money is on the bottom side bolts on the DP are not tightened completely, and it's leaking out past/through the Turbo to DP gasket. That's what was wrong on mine and is produced the same kind of sound that you're describing.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have had GS manifold + cross pipe on for over 15k miles with no issues. Having installed them also on my previous WRX there is some technique in getting it sealed the first time...basic stuff really.

Love everything GS makes so far, quality vendor both in parts and customer service.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I have had GS manifold + cross pipe on for over 15k miles with no issues. Having installed them also on my previous WRX there is some technique in getting it sealed the first time...basic stuff really.

Love everything GS makes so far, quality vendor both in parts and customer service.

so what is this basic technique?

met up with GTTuner to take a look at my noise today. checked the manifolds/UP/DP/CBE and found no leaks. put it up on a lift and I brake torqued while he was under the car and he could only hear the noise when standing directly under the crossover pipe. guess it was the ticking sound that people speak of...we think it is just not dampening the sound as much as the old one did because it is not cast iron. gonna wrap it eventually to see if it changes.

Well I pulled all of the other pieces that I thought could have been causing the sound and I've no evidence of a leak from the exhaust ports to the end of the downpipe. I've been driving with the pipe for almost a month now so I figure there would be some kind of tail tell sign if there was a leak.

I guess it must be coming from the crosspipe since it's the only new piece I've put on my car and before it all my aftermarket parts worked fine with little to no increase in sound volume over stock which is what I want. I'm one of those people that can't stand miscellaneous noise and this thing is bugging the crap out of me. From what I've seen the only things that cause ticking or whatever you want to call the noise typically aren't good because it usually means there is a vibration somewhere that isn't supposed to be there and will eventually cause damage in some form or another. Maybe GrimmSpeed can speak to this since I've now pulled my exhaust apart 3 separate times trying to figure this thing out.

snow05gtRI my crosspipe has been wrapped since I put it on day 1 so I doubt it'll make a big difference. Plus the stock crosspipe is made from tubular steel not cast iron and since GrimmSpeed's is made from a similar material albeit a different design there shouldn't be much change in their respective sound dampening qualities.

Archived