LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed PNP & Coated Exhaust Manifolds

rubberman

How much did it cost you guys to have them PnP and coated w/ the X-pipe. Because I have an extra set of manifolds lying around and really want to do this.

I got a set of slightly used GS PnP manifolds, crossover pipe, and UP, all coated for $300 shipped. Couldn't pass that up.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just installed my manifold and cross pipe the other day and do not hear any abnormal sounds...though I did double wrap the flex section...I also had a pretty bad exhuast leak on my stock cross pipe.

The remflex gasket had blown out in about a 1" section!!! with a gasket that thick, there was a huge hole! Remflex FTL!

By the way, I have a set of remflex gaskets for sale if anyone is interested!

The remflex gasket had blown out in about a 1" section!!! with a gasket that thick, there was a huge hole! Remflex FTL!

By the way, I have a set of remflex gaskets for sale if anyone is interested!

OEM FTW for the thousandth time :lol:

Oh and Grimmspeed is taking good care of me and is shipping me out another crosspipe once they get them back in stock. Hopefully they can take the one I've got now apart or something and figure out what causes the noise.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

• 2 weeks later...

EGT: Did any of you get the EGT tap, and if so, what size bolt do I need to plug it? I have the question in to Grimmspeed too. The tap is on the driverside manifold, and it appears to fit a 3/8" fine thread bolt. I though it was supposed to be 1/4", but not sure. Just don't want to screw up the threads.

Wrapping: Would it be bad for the flex section to wrap it? Sounds like some of you have done so. I think I'll try the whole cross pipe without wrapping, though it would be nice to further protect the oil filter, pan, etc, from heat.

i dont see why it would be bad to wrap the flex section. I didn't spray my wrap so it's not solid, so the flex section will still be able to move when it really needs to. the wrap is flexible.

i started off without wrapping it, and then had it wrapped without removing it from the car.

EGT: Did any of you get the EGT tap, and if so, what size bolt do I need to plug it? I have the question in to Grimmspeed too. The tap is on the driverside manifold, and it appears to fit a 3/8" fine thread bolt. I though it was supposed to be 1/4", but not sure. Just don't want to screw up the threads.

I got the EGT tap. No issue at all. Fit perfect with the plug that came with the EGT guage and sensor.

Can't recall the size though.

hmm....I'll have to email them to ask about it, as I think wrapping the flex section is the way to get rid of that nasty noise the COP makes. I wish he gave some reasons more than just stating not to do it.

I wouldn't think it would be bad to wrap a flex section unless you wrap it too tight that it loses its purpose of flexing. Sending them an email now, though I won't get a response till tomorrow because it's after business hours.

• Mega Users
I don't think exhaust wrap is going to impede that from flexing under those crazy temps and pressures. It might make it more likely to rust if moisture gets trapped under there because each of those steel threads makes up a lot of possible surface area to get rusted.

+1 on the moisture. You not going to prevent "flexing". If you look inside, the outer SS mesh is just for looks to cover the "corregated" looking flex section inside (at least that's the typical construction). If you wrap this area, and you get a lot of moisture on it, it could hold it in and I assume prematurely rust it. A bit less likely on the solid pipe part if you wrap it fairly tight and coat it with high temp coating/paint.

I think the biggest "problems" with wrapping are when you do it at a weld joint, etc, and the uneven expansion ends up cracking it. If this is true, that would be another problem with wrapping the weld joints at the flex connection. But I'm certainly no expert.

on the rusting....shouldn't high quality stainless steel not rust besides some basic surface rust?

i have heard a similar thing for wrapping my AEM intake tube (wrap trapping moisture) but that is aluminum I believe....

I'm still trying to figure out what this noise "is". Don't have it on mine - which includes the COP and UP (both with GS flex joint) - and have been running for some time with no issues
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

they told me that it happens to 1 or 2 out of 10 orders i guess. you might have one that doesnt have it.

something like that almost leads me to think it's a leak or something...something off in the manufacturing process. i dunno.

"Bending" the coated, flex UP (Grimmspeed brand):

How far can you "bend" this with out hurting anything? My UP/manifold connection is about 1/2" off. I've bolted the UP in place to the turbo already (that's a bit of a pain so I wanted that solid), now doing the UP to manifold connection.

There was a previous comment in this thread (IIRC) about GS making a some of the UPes too short. If you have to "stretch" the flex section that much to "pull" it to your manifold, it may be one of the short ones.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

got a response about wrapping the flex section:

The main problem is that the wrap retains too much heat so if the flex section can't breathe it could deteriorate. You should be ok for a pretty long time but it will eventually cause premature failure of the piece.

good to know, guess I'll keep it in mind. My only problem is this means I shouldn't have it wrapped...I mean I plan on driving this car for a long time, but wrapping it gets rid of that noise....

I can't see the noise issue being limited to this kind of header set up. Have people heard this tick after installing aftermarket headers?

I would think it could happen with other headers.

BTW, welcome to the dark side, recognize your handle from SF.org :)

• 3 weeks later...
quick question for you guys with this piece, Only the exits and entrances are PnPed right or is it all the way through the bends too?

From grimmspeeds website:

Our Subaru boxer engines kill our spool up time, most notably because of the very long pre-turbo exhaust tract(exhaust manifold, up pipe). To directly combat this loss of spool up we will port and polish all 9 inlets/outlets of your 3 piece exhaust manifold. We enlarge each port to match up with the stock subaru gaskets, porting 6-7mm of material at the entrance/outlet of each port and then tapering down into the port. This takes out the large steps in flow and smoothes out the port to port connections. Every piece is perfect matched to eachother for optimal flow.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=99

Archived