LegacyGT.com

LED interior "ambient Lighting

ArcTec34

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great work, really inspired me to start my own LED set up ...

You'll be glad. I am currently road-tripping, and it sure is nice to

have all that extra light when you're living out of your car.

Not to mention not really needing to worry too much about draining

the battery ...

lol, my only concern is this...I don't wanna turn my car into a Christmas Tree. It is a luxory Sedan in my mind with a lil sport thrown in. So I hope the footwells won't be too bright. I've attaching a 110 and 910 resistor to each (i forgot the ohm's ill have to bust out the color scale again) so hopefully that will dim them a tad.

I got my footwells done! ... tried to snap a picture but they're not nearly as bright as yours seem to be. I rather Like it though, its just bright enough to add a touch of class. I will try to lay out some white paper or mayb a hoodie tomorow night and mayb it will make for a better picture.

I can try and do a walk through if needed but its rather simple, pop out the "push screws", drill a hole, superglue the lights, run the wires, put panel back.

I did buy the exact LED's you did Arc for the cup holders and i figured 2 would be just enough but they don't light anything, i'll install 2 more tomoro i think they'll do just fine.

Which LED's did you use for the "oh shit" handle on the doors?

i used prewired 5mm red LEDs from oznium...

yeah where you get the LEDs doesnt really matter much... I did this on a friend's RX8 with a few less in the cupholders, etc, its up to you how much light you want

For the rear plate lights

All you do is remove some popits from the trunk liner just enought to reach your hand to where the lights are. twist then pull then replace bulbs and insert again.

quick question, i know where u got your led's for the trunk, puddle, and license plates, but is there by chance a walk through on how to get to those lights?

for the others,, just get a flathead screwdriver to pop off the lenses of the puddle lights- theres a little indent for a screwdriver.

and yeah, for the license plate lights, tkae off the trunk liner.. reach your hand in there and feel around for them.. its not hard..

machv has the wagon dome lights for $50. better pricing elsewhere or is this the best?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 3 months later...

Bumpin' the thread for answers from the LED pros - TSi + WRX and ArcTec34.

I've been thinking about doing a footwell lighting scheme for sometime now...just haven't finalized a place for the read seats until now. But I don't want constant light on, I'm wiring into the dome light so the footwells come on when the doors open and my goal is to have them DIM with the "theater" lighting feature.

My question is: will the LEDs one can purchase at oznium or autolumination DIMMABLE? I'm going with white.

Thanks.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

^ I must bow-out of that one - I don't know about those two particular makes/Vendors' products. :redface:

The "SMT" circuit-board type LED arrays from V-LEDs are indeed dimmable, if they're on the overhead dome's circuit.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

One of the first things I did with my car when I got it was replace the pitiful trunk lighting. Grabbed four round LED arrays on PCB boards, about 24 LEDs on each, wired them up in parallel and put blade connectors on the end. Unplugged the stock light and plugged the blade connectors directly into the existing socket. Mounted them evenly across the top of the trunk, done deal. They're incredibly bright but I'm too lazy to take the junk out of my trunk and take a proper photo so this is all you get...

http://members.cox.net/spedonabike/Legacy/IMG_2302.jpg

hey gator, where are you thinking of putting them? the "superflux" ones are really really bright and I would not recommend them for ambient lighting, it would just be too much

and I should post a picture of my trunk, I used one Cree R2 LED, tiny little fella, that produces 300 lumens (freakin bright), it looks amazing

ArcTec, I'm planning on putting them in the lowest dash panels to illuminate the footwells, and in the lower portion of the front seat backs to illuminate the rear footwells.

Thanks for the heads up on shaving the "dome" of LEDs to produce a wider spread of light...good to know.

Yeah, this isn't ambient lighting, this is for entry/exit purposes. I want it friggin' dark inside the car at night (except for required gauges and controls, obviously) when I'm driving. I don't need a disco goin' on....no offense to those who have ambient lighting or discos in their cars...just ain't for me.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

huh?? whats the problem? We are talking about using LEDs just about anywhere, I guess. If you bother reading his post you will see that he is putting in ambient lighting. he also saw what I did with my dome light and thought it was useful. thats all. If you don't want to hear about it there is an unsubscribe button.

Archived