LegacyGT.com

LED interior "ambient Lighting

ArcTec34

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when you look at the LEDs you will see the metal part inside it, with the semiconductor that actually produces the light, I got rid of most of the plastic above it with the dremel by sanding it off.

cool, thats what I did to one of them but at some point today I hope to start sanding and soldiering resistors on the led's. I'll try to take pics as I do it just so everyone can see :)

ArcTec, did you go through the levels of sandpaper? 220-400-1000-1500-2000-2500 to get it smooth?
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

ArcTec, did you go through the levels of sandpaper? 220-400-1000-1500-2000-2500 to get it smooth?

no, I just used whatever grinding wheel I had for my dremel...similar to this guy

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=8193

I didn't really care about how smooth they were, I haven't found a real difference in light output and I mounted them all where the actual LED wouldn't be seen..

I was thinking that the light would project in a cleaner fashion if the cut surface was finished in the same manner as the rest of the "lens".

Sounds simple enough though. Thanks!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

haha that is sick! I love it. Where do you keep it?

I see em on eBay for like $30 shipped. How much did you pay for yours?

i got mine for 20 shipped about 2 years ago.... They have the option now for LED... wish they did it back then lol... but mine is led now :)

I got the drivers side foot well leds mocked up just got to work on it some when I get off tomorrow from work :(

my little update,

not fully installed yet, just sat the 2 foot well pieces in for testing, had to move the passenger led's up some... I may add a few more on the passenger side due to the foot well cover up top being oddly shaped prevents my perfect covering.

http://noelflash.com/noel/ledproj/IMG_9939.JPG

:lol: How are you controlling them, then?

Looks good, btw. I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

for testing I'm using 2 batteries, they won't be as bright as the final outcome but I just wanted to get a idea.... Thinking of wiring them to the pocket or ashtray lights.... with a additional switch to cut it off when I don't want it.

hmmmm... I don't think so, but if I were to do it myself, I'd start by finding the wires that power the puddle lights in the doors- so that they only go on when they're open. Start by taking off the driver side kick panel (held in by a few popits) or something so you can find where the wires come from that go out to the door.. I'm not sure off the top of my head

it should be noted tho that the puddle lights only open for the corresponding door. So if you only want 1 footwell to light up when you open 1 door you can do it normally, but if you want both.. you would want to wire them both off a single door.

noticed that when I put in those LEDs that burned out from paul.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

it should be noted tho that the puddle lights only open for the corresponding door. So if you only want 1 footwell to light up when you open 1 door you can do it normally, but if you want both.. you would want to wire them both off a single door.

noticed that when I put in those LEDs that burned out from paul.

good point!

are they on all the time like that? seems like it'd be distracting. (I actually had similar that was on all the time when I was a teenager.. yes it was distracting but my friends liked it.)
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

are they on all the time like that? seems like it'd be distracting. (I actually had similar that was on all the time when I was a teenager.. yes it was distracting but my friends liked it.)

They don't bug me so far but the plan is to add a switch on the circuit to shut them off when I don't want them.... I just didn't happen to have the switch last night.

it looks good but, I wouldn't do it.. sometimes I think I'm getting too old for car mods. :spin:I'd rather have a subtle overhead or behind door handle light that is not noticeable as a light because of its dimness.. yet provides enough light to make out the shape of the center console.. like moonlight..

Archived