LegacyGT.com

LED interior "ambient Lighting

ArcTec34

I'd like to find an OEM dimmer and put it in the blank spot to the right of the dash light dimmer and mirror adjustment. The OEM dimmer won't shut off the LED's though, so I though about getting an on/off button in addition to put in one of the blanks to the right of the mirror heat button.

Any ideas where I could obtain these things?

-OEM or very similar dimmer dial

-Button that will fit in the allotted space (one of the blanks)

I'm probably going to end up molding a new housing for buttons that will control my LED DRLs and radar detector lights.. will use bondo, molding putty, then some finishing putty to get the proper texture, and some tan paint

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha, yeah- you can learn a lot by doing stuff by yourself. For some performance stuff, I'll get it professionally installed though because I just don't want to deal with uppipe leaks, etc

The LED bulbs for the dome/map lights are just plug in play. The LEDs are directional, so pop them in, and try turning them on before you put the covers on. if it doesn't turn on, you ust have to reverse the direction which you put it in.

You should look into doing the map lights on with the dome light mod as well, you don't need any experience, as there is a writeup about it, and I can also answer any questions you have. and it makes a HUGE difference- much more light when opening the doors at night.

good luck and happy modding!

also, how which LED light did you order for the dome light?

Thanks a lot man.

Ill let you know if i have any questions once i start which should be this weekends.

All the LEDS you provided I bought including the front doors.

I will order the Domes later on today.

I might just to go with the 36 instead of the 25.

Just have 2 more questions.

Do i need any materials to do it?

Desides the things needed to pop them out.

And also What are the exact LEDs for the rear plate light?

and if there any post showing the process?

Once again thank you for your help

The 36 LED module was actually cheaper than the 25 (:confused:) but it requires you to bend stuff to fit- I'd just go with the 25 one if I were you.

No materials needed, just a flat head screwdriver to pop off the lenses.

To get to the rear license plate lights: you open the trunk, take off a few pop its holding in the trunk liner enough to reach your hand through, and its pretty easy to find the bulbs and pull them out from there.

I ordered my license plate LEDs from fastwrx.com (http://fastwrx.com/leledexil.html)

You could get generic LED bulbs for it though.. they're everywhere.. I forget what bulb socket it is, but any automotive website lists the bulbs... 168 perhaps?

Thanks a lot man.

Ill let you know if i have any questions once i start which should be this weekends.

All the LEDS you provided I bought including the front doors.

I will order the Domes later on today.

I might just to go with the 36 instead of the 25.

Just have 2 more questions.

Do i need any materials to do it?

Desides the things needed to pop them out.

And also What are the exact LEDs for the rear plate light?

and if there any post showing the process?

Once again thank you for your help

So, sorry if I missed this in all the pages ... But what is a good bulb (from

the autolumination.com site) for the rear cargo-area light ? I think I want

a red one. I gather it's the "912" size, but they still have a zillion options,

and it's not clear all of them will fit.

yeah, thats the correct size for a wagon. any of those will do fine, I believe. I'm not sure how its mounted, you should go pop off the reflector and see just how the light shines down

Ok, there's a good bit of room in there, and the bulb points straight

down (that is, the bayonet base is sticking straight INTO the socket

when you plug it in). So I'm thinking the "921 SuperStar bulb with

heat sink" for $9.99. The 15mm diameter by 30mm overall length

should easily fit.

Ok, there's a good bit of room in there, and the bulb points straight

down (that is, the bayonet base is sticking straight INTO the socket

when you plug it in). So I'm thinking the "921 SuperStar bulb with

heat sink" for $9.99. The 15mm diameter by 30mm overall length

should easily fit.

Fits and does very nicely (as a "mood" light for car camping).

A lot less than 1 watt though (measuring current).

Arc

I'm installing the rear lights now I removed all pop it's. But how do I remove light so I can switch the bulb

you reach your hand in between the trunk liner and the trunk, just head towards where you think the bulbs should be, follow the wiring harnesses down to the base and take the bulbs out of their clips, replace bulbs, and put back in.

Ive done that some how i cant remove it to switch bulbs.

Do i have to put some force to pull it out?

F*** getting burt. I rather burn my fingers then break it. LOL

I guess ill try again later on today. I mean it was 1 in the morning and like 35 degrees outside when I was doing it.

sigh..... The things we do for our cars.:lol:

I've broken bulbs before in my fingers..

when I was a stupidass teenager I put blue bulbs in my door lights in my car, well like the cheap crap they were they faded, so I went to take them out, and crushed both of them in my fingers lol.

fortunately I didn't lodge any glass in my hands.

I dont usually keep a car long enough for bulbs to burn out.. so yea.. I guess I am an amateur at replacing small bulbs.. I've replaced maybe.. 2 ever lol.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I've broken bulbs before in my fingers..

when I was a stupidass teenager I put blue bulbs in my door lights in my car, well like the cheap crap they were they faded, so I went to take them out, and crushed both of them in my fingers lol.

fortunately I didn't lodge any glass in my hands.

I dont usually keep a car long enough for bulbs to burn out.. so yea.. I guess I am an amateur at replacing small bulbs.. I've replaced maybe.. 2 ever lol.

I'm still a stupid-ass teenager :cool:

I ended up installing LEDs in my map and dome light last summer cause the lighting is pretty bad stock. I bought 2 of these ( http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/DomeMap-LED/White-LED/HID-WHITE-9-LED-DOME-p4481130-1-2.html ) and they work GREAT. Really bright, but i also have the plastic cover taken completely off. Its actually not too bad looking, and people don't notice. I broke the cover trying to put it back on....woops.

LOL These are things I will take into consideration when installing my maps and dooms.

-dont buy cheap blue lights

-dont sit on the covers

-dont burn my fingers

-and use duck tape

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just got the rear lights on last night real easy once i found out you had to twist.

I will post pictures up tonight.

Thank you guys

^ Hey, you may think it's funny, but we've all been there! :lol:;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Went to the dealer today to get my snow tires off and I took a look to see how much a map light cover costs....over $50. I'm not paying more than $10 to have a piece of plastic which actually dims the lights...insane.

Went to the dealer today to get my snow tires off and I took a look to see how much a map light cover costs....over $50. I'm not paying more than $10 to have a piece of plastic which actually dims the lights...insane.

I recently used a website that scans junkyards all over the country

for used parts. Picked up a tail-light ass'y for $75 with free shipping

(list was $139, mail-order new for $99). I had to talk 'em down (once

someone with the part emailed me) by quoting these new prices.

I THINK the site was: http://www.uneedapart.com ...

Also, you said the dealer charges $50. Have you tried one of the

several excellent mail-order parts places that many here use ?

I never buy from my local dealer; they are invariably much more

expensive, and they act like jerks - screw 'em.

Archived