LegacyGT.com

LED interior "ambient Lighting

ArcTec34

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks, also thanks for the inspiration. On a side note, in case anyone wants to do this and runs into the same problem I did, my wiring was a little different. The thick green wire in the middle was always the + , but on my pass front door the ground was solid red, and on the rear doors it was solid blue (always the wire on the very end of the connector).

^ I think I'd have liked it in red, too, but heck, it's an aesthetic mod, and what suits my tastes may not, to another. :)

Looks cool, Doc! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ You know, the more I look at it, the more I like the blue/red scheme.

My DSM is orange/blue, with gauges in the factory orange/amber color, but with all ancillary electronics, and the cosmetic stuff, in blue. The one thing I did was put in a kill-switch, so that when seriously driving, I could cut off all the ancillary lighting, leaving only the gauges. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

....but I'm a pretty big nerd when it comes to crap like this :redface:

Hey now, hey now! I resemble that! :p:wub:

very good thread guys. I have all the usual interior and License plate LED's. But I'm wondering what you guys think of maybe using a pair of these under the hood. http://www.oznium.com/retail-led-floodlight

with some sort of mercury switch. So that when you raise the hood they'd come on. Just a thought. let me know.

BTW any LGT owners have hood struts? I've found one place and he said I'd have to do a little work to get the WRX struts to work.

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

very good thread guys. I have all the usual interior and License plate LED's. But I'm wondering what you guys think of maybe using a pair of these under the hood. http://www.oznium.com/retail-led-floodlight

with some sort of mercury switch. So that when you raise the hood they'd come on. Just a thought. let me know.

BTW any LGT owners have hood struts? I've found one place and he said I'd have to do a little work to get the WRX struts to work.

That is a good idea but a pressure switch would be the way to go the mercury switch would engage over bumps.

I haven't gone this route, but I did remember something about this. :) Hopefully, one of these threads will have what you need -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28755&highlight=hood+damper

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22823&highlight=hood+damper

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60323&highlight=hood+damper

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48892&highlight=hood+damper

dv8ing, Do you have a good idea what switch to use and where to mount it?

I will look around; I was thinking of mounting it on the sill part of the fender were the hood would push down on it to interrupt the circuit. Though I still need to find on that is weather proof and closes the circuit when there is no pressure as they tend to be the opposite. If I can't find a switch I like: looking around a junk yard to see if cannibalizing a car with this option makes sense would be my next step.

I looked around a bit this morning over coffee and was not able to find anything that made more sense than what you can get on ebay or junk yard. Just type in "hood switch" and you are g2g from 2.00 to 20.00. Sorry for the thread jack...if you do this mod be sure to start a new thread about it.

This is awesome I love the idea and the red is sweet. I already have all the Interior bulbs switched out for LED's which look awesome, but I know that it would look even better with the Red LED's in the handles like that. Just gotta get the courage to do this. I'm always nervous that I am going to break something, that why I always have one of my automotive buddies help me cause they do shit like this all the time.

Thanks for the help dv8, didn't mean to thread jack and I'd def. start a new one if I do this.

I really like the white LED's shining into the door pockets. guess there's an easy way to wire each side into the overhead map light switch. That'd be useful to me.

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

thanks, also thanks for the inspiration. On a side note, in case anyone wants to do this and runs into the same problem I did, my wiring was a little different. The thick green wire in the middle was always the + , but on my pass front door the ground was solid red, and on the rear doors it was solid blue (always the wire on the very end of the connector).

yeah.. hmm.. i had striped wires, someone else's had striped but different colors.. beats me. watch out though, because there is a ground on the other side end of the connector, but the ground switches off when the window button is pressed

This is awesome I love the idea and the red is sweet. I already have all the Interior bulbs switched out for LED's which look awesome, but I know that it would look even better with the Red LED's in the handles like that. Just gotta get the courage to do this. I'm always nervous that I am going to break something, that why I always have one of my automotive buddies help me cause they do shit like this all the time.

yeah, its pretty easy, most things involved are just plastic clips, some require a bit of force but didn't break anything doing the install

• 2 weeks later...
I would asume weekend project. Lots of running wires, removing pannels. Need to take your time so you don't mess them up. So weekend project would be my gess.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

ArcTec34, how long did it take you to do all this? Is this something I could do before work, or should I do this on a Saturday as a small weekend project?

It took me a half an hour per door... but I've taken a lot of my car apart already, and have done a lot of LED stuff before.

On that note, don't do it before work, who knows, if you don't finish and have your door panels sitting on your kitchen table when you need to drive to work

Save it for a Saturday morning, where you have a few hours to take your time and do a nice job with the mod :)

Archived