LegacyGT.com

$340 XO2 Racing FMIC install pictures(56k beware)

itsme

I am thinking of ordering one of these, but have a some of questions:

1. XO2 says there are no clamps and no mounting brackets for the core in the kit (I do not see core brackets in your install pics). Does the core just sit loose? Has anyone made brackets for the kit? Do they even supply the pipe couplers?

2. XO2 says the kit will only work for an LGT turbo. But, I want to be able to choose either LGT or STi turbo. Are there any other options other than "fab your own flange"? EDIT - I just noticed that for Sti fitment, you just remove the LGT flange piece and it fits the Sti turbo? Is this correct?

3. No instructions - I know the price is only $340, but no instructions makes me a bit nervous in that XO2 is not serious about this kit. Would you consider this a kit, or simply: here is a core and some pipes - good luck. :confused:

4. Any other heads up I need to know before getting this FMIC?

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am thinking of ordering one of these, but have a some of questions:

1. XO2 says there are no clamps and no mounting brackets for the core in the kit (I do not see core brackets in your install pics). Does the core just sit loose? Has anyone made brackets for the kit? Do they even supply the pipe couplers?

2. XO2 says the kit will only work for an LGT turbo. But, I want to be able to choose either LGT or STi turbo. Are there any other options other than "fab your own flange"? EDIT - I just noticed that for Sti fitment, you just remove the LGT flange piece and it fits the Sti turbo? Is this correct?

3. No instructions - I know the price is only $340, but no instructions makes me a bit nervous in that XO2 is not serious about this kit. Would you consider this a kit, or simply: here is a core and some pipes - good luck. :confused:

4. Any other heads up I need to know before getting this FMIC?

Did you follow the first link to the DIY FMIC thread?

1. Yes it come with all the coulpers. You have to make your own brackets. I trimmed the bumper to it hold the core. I used rubber to keep metal touching the core.

2. No it never said it works only with LGT turbos. I made the kit to work with both LGT and WRX style turbos. It come with the LGT flange or you just remove that flange and hook it to the wrx style turbo. You don't have to buy or fab anything.

3. It's only about 6 pipe. If it makes you nervous then don't buy it. Go and pay much more($1000+) for another. Look how easy the AVO FMIC is to install. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99715 It took 3 guy 10 hrs and power tools to install. It took only tools to install this kit. I have not heard any complaints so far in over a year.

4. Do you research and which kit is best for you. All have their pro and cons. You have to see what is the best one for you.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

^^ Got the info, thanks. For $340, what can I say. I should get more than that for my AVO TMIC. Right now I am TMIC and water/meth. It'll be interesting to see what I get with FMIC and water/meth :cool:

EDIT - another question, I noticed the AVO kit uses two stand offs to move the bumper beam about 1" forward. Could I do the same with this kit to avoid having to notch out the bumper beam? Or, will this just mean that I will have to trim more of the bumper to make it fit over the new 1" forward extended bumper beam?

^^ Got the info, thanks. For $340, what can I say. I should get more than that for my AVO TMIC. Right now I am TMIC and water/meth. It'll be interesting to see what I get with FMIC and water/meth :cool:

EDIT - another question, I noticed the AVO kit uses two stand offs to move the bumper beam about 1" forward. Could I do the same with this kit to avoid having to notch out the bumper beam? Or, will this just mean that I will have to trim more of the bumper to make it fit over the new 1" forward extended bumper beam?

yes, you could use the stand off. You would just lose the foam on the end of the bumper beam.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Yes, cutting the bumper , simple hand ,and you will need to get the BOV flage welded on. That's it. I never test fitted it on a '07. I don't know if it clears the air pump. If you can find someone local that has it or you are up in LA we can compare a see if it will fit. Let me know.

Im going to get Infamous to tune my car one weekend soon, maybe I will drop by while Im up in LA.

I am wondering mainly about the air pump and battery.

I am running this kit as well, you can just check mine out.

FWIW I don't think it will clear at all. From what I remeber another member already attempted, but had to modify the driver side piping.

If you need to modify that side of the piping (and I think you definitely will bc of the pump) I would correct the one spot that caused some of us some problems, the curved connection immediately after the throttle body, that would work a lot better as one piece...mine continually popped off until I bought a hump coupler. When it pops off the car dies..you can't limp back home. :(

I am running this kit as well, you can just check mine out.

FWIW I don't think it will clear at all. From what I remeber another member already attempted, but had to modify the driver side piping.

I tried as well on my 2007. Air pump, battery, and possibly coolant tank are blocking the piping route.

Any idea about the AVO intake?

Haven't come across one yet, it depends on where it sits. The Xo2 IC piping sits towards the back of the hole down into the fender so the majority of intakes should fit without a problem. The SPT most likely won't fit and I know the Blitz will not.

• 5 weeks later...
I tuned a couple LGT's running the X02 with an AEM intake.

Cool. That's what I am running and I may be leaning in this direction. I noticed that this kit is available on ebay and if buy it now is used, they upgrade you to a core that is 12" in height rather than 9". Does this change the install in any way. Also, is there any way to salvage the fogs since I want to keep a completely stock exterior look? (I would paint the fmic black to help. ;))

Bigger is not always better. With the 12" you will have to trim your grill because it hits the bottom. You can keep a stock look by installing the non-turbo foglight covers like infamous1.

Bigger is not always better. With the 12" you will have to trim your grill because it hits the bottom. You can keep a stock look by installing the non-turbo foglight covers like infamous1.

That's what I thought about the 12". Thanks. The only drawback to this kit I can see is the loss of fogs. For the price, I see no better deal out there. I may be willing to lose the use of fogs for such a sweet deal.

Good point. Do they offer it painted black or is the best bet to DIY?

Save your money and diy. And with the parts I said infamous1 is getting 312whp on cali pump gas and @358whp with e85. That's with an UP and TBE with his opensource tune.

Archived