LegacyGT.com

AVO FMIC Install Pictorial

NSFW

I'm not sure if it's silicone exactly, it's got a matte finish and is more flexible than the blue silicone couplers. But it is flexible, rubbery, a lot like radiator hose only much bigger.

I am just a little concerned about how those hoses will hold up over the next 10 years or so. They seem pretty tough, but they are rubbing in lots of places, so I plan to check on them periodically just to be sure. I deburred everything they touch, but in retrospect it might have been smart to use a flame to melt / smooth / round off the edges of the fog light housings.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm...I don't think I've seen ever silicone/rubber hose used for so much of the boost tubing, but if it holds up, why not? I imagine it's a lot easier to work with than metal tubes would be.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I'm sure it will hold boost, no worries there. It seems like a smart decision on AVO's part, since it would be near impossible to get such a tight fit with metal pipe, especially considering that the engine itself moves around in there.

Wow, either way you go with Perrin or AVO, still have to do some hacking for the FMIC huh?

This was a great Thread with a lot of hands on information.

Now my question for the people who had experienced with both....

Which would require less hacking?! :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

AVO provides standoffs to move the bumper beam about an inch forward.

Shown below is a geometry problem which results from these spacers not reading the instructions.

:lol:

We have all been there, done that.;)

I am just a little concerned about how those hoses will hold up over the next 10 years or so. They seem pretty tough, but they are rubbing in lots of places, so I plan to check on them periodically just to be sure.

+1 - is there enough room to put silicone sheet or cut vacuum hose to provide a barrier / cushion?

Thanks for the install notes - I definitely won't be trying this at home since I no longer have all the shop tools.

Kyle "BlackHole"

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC%20Install%20Day/FMIC2056.jpg

Above is the frame rail on the driver's side. The FMIC piping needs to make a pretty tight U-turn here, with the fog light pressing up against the other side of it.

To prevent the rubber hose from rubbing in this area, I cut a short length of vacuum hose lengthways, and glued it onto the edge of the frame.

I'm not sure if it's silicone exactly, it's got a matte finish and is more flexible than the blue silicone couplers. But it is flexible, rubbery, a lot like radiator hose only much bigger.

I am just a little concerned about how those hoses will hold up over the next 10 years or so. They seem pretty tough, but they are rubbing in lots of places, so I plan to check on them periodically just to be sure. I deburred everything they touch, but in retrospect it might have been smart to use a flame to melt / smooth / round off the edges of the fog light housings.

The lower hoses are reinforced rubber, there should be no problem with them holding the pressure unless you go to silly numbers. How they will stand up to the atmosphere is another question though.

Yeah, if I knew what this was going to be like, into I might have just bought a top-mount. :) But the installation only has to happen once (knock on wood) and I plan to drive it for another 10 years or so.

Is it any easier with the other kits? I get the impression that they all have significant challenges associated with them. Subaru didn't go out of their way to leave clean paths of all of the necessary plumbing.

That by far looks like the toughest FMIC install I have ever seen.

I haven't heard of any other FMIC kits that require cutting of parts of the framework.

Which others have you installed?

It seems like a fair price for retaining the bumper beam and fogs. If there's another kit that retains both and doesn't require power tools I'd like to see how they pulled that off. :)

oh believe me, it holds boost quite well! i've never had any of the hoses come off, and i've been running close to 20 psi through it for over a year now. definitely an ingenious design IMO.

NSFW, how do you like it so far?

So far so good, but since the install I've only driven to and from work, which for my commute is not very interesting. I've been looking forward to a joyride but haven't had the time.

Which others have you installed?

It seems like a fair price for retaining the bumper beam and fogs. If there's another kit that retains both and doesn't require power tools I'd like to see how they pulled that off. :)

I have only installed a couple X02's (4-5hrs), however even being adapted from an WRX/Sti kit the only cutting is done to the beam and bumber skin.

You are right there is no other kit than retains both the beam and fogs, although it looks like you guys paid for it. But I agree, you only have to do it once ;)

But wait, there's more... After reading this thread, in my local forum, I figured I should put my front plate back on:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC2107.jpg

There are some little rubber feet stuck to the back of the plate to stop it from scuffing the paint.

Also, more detail on the AEM CAI interaction...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC2110.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC2111.jpg

Nice rust on that heat shield, eh? Thanks, AEM!

And last but not least, I have reason to suspect that JDM batteries are not quite the same dimensions as USDM batteries:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC2108.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC2112.jpg

And last but not least, I have reason to suspect that JDM batteries are not quite the same dimensions as USDM batteries:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/FMIC2108.jpg

I always wondered about that dimple for the battery too, even the one on AVO's website doesn't line up with the battery, makes me wonder sometimes :confused:

yeah wtf is up with that rust? how long have you had the heat shield in there? i have an aem cai as well so I'm just wondering how long until i start seeing some heh...

I bought the heat shield used, so I don't know how long that took.

Yeah, I'm going to check w/ Sears this weekend and see if I can find a different-shaped battery to make line things up. I actually kinda screwed this one up while I was getting my carpc all set up, I ran it dead a couple times and I don't think it holds the same charge that it should.

Wow, I can't believe the aliignment with the dimple on the pipe...

That was there for a purpose right?!

I don't know how much of a dimension difference a battery can have though..

But from what it looks, the optima small battery might fit perfectly on that dimple.

More update please! :)

Archived