LegacyGT.com

AVO FMIC Install Pictorial

NSFW

Yeah, I think it would be a mistake to assume that they're easier just because nobody has done this sort of write-up for them. It would be interesting to see a play-by-play of the Perrin, WBR, and XO2 kits. And Cobb's too, when it comes out.

When I started researching FMICs here, I read a lot more bad than good about Perrin's kit, and it looks like one of the simpler designs, since it comes with its own replacement for the bumper beam. XO2 is a revised WRX/STI kit, so I'm guessing it's got quirks of its own. The Cobb kit isn't out yet of course, but since their plumbing follows roughly the same paths, I'm sure it requires many of the same changes.

I really don't mean to badmouth any of them though, not even AVO. The fundamental problem with FMIC kits is that Subaru didn't plan for them. :)

Well I can tell you the XO2 kit is really much less work. All you have to do is trim the back of the bumper beam to clear the FMIC and common hand tools. I made the XO2 Prototype and it took me 3hr to figure out how to do modd it, modd it and install in my driveway. I will make a XO2 racing fmic install thread. Only thing is you lose your is foglight and only $340. I didn't want to jack your thread I just wanted to the state facts on the XO2 FMIC.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool. Does the XO2 kit keep the factory bumper beam as well?

Yes, you just have to trim the back. I took alittle more then I needed.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/150402.jpg

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Good news: I went to an auto parts store yesterday with dimensions for a battery, and found a perfect match. Took it to the counter and the guy said, "battery for your Honda?" I didn't hit him hard.

Did the swap today and it fits nicely, and lines up with the clearance divot in the charge pipe. And this supports my JDM-battery-dimensions theory. The tie-down bracket is obviously not quite right, but the battery is in there securely enough for me to drive around until I find a better fit.

Better news: I gained a few cold cranking amps.

Bad news: can't find my girlfriend's camera, so you'll just have to take my word for all of this.

:lol: Like I said, if the old battery wasn't toast I wouldn't have bothered. But I figured if I was going to swap batteries I might as well use one that looks right. Plus it was a real pain to get the old battery in and out - it would hit the IC pipe on one end, and get caught under the bodywork on the other end, and there wasn't enough room to maneuver it out.

I had to pull the charge pipe off to get the old battery out, but this one just slid in from above, even with the pipe back in place.

I believe the Optima Small Battery D51 has the dimension of

Length 9 5/16" x Width 5 1/16" x Height 8 15/16"

The battery that you got seems to be about this size or is it bigger?

This thread is great information!!

And please find your girlfriend's camera so we can stare at the battery being pefectly alligned with the Dimple! :)

The WBR kit does as well.

I am really thinking about the AVO FMIC. I think with a few mods and a few different parts (along with help from a good welder friend) I may be able to get it do fit how I want.

I am really thinking about the AVO FMIC. I think with a few mods and a few different parts (along with help from a good welder friend) I may be able to get it do fit how I want.

Which is how?

Remember how boostjunkie decided to turn his FMIC into a bumper beam?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/DSCF0779.jpg

I am thinking about doing that with the AVO FMIC. I want to try and squeeze enough space so as not to be pushing on the fog lights. I am concerned about the aim of the fog lights as they are very important to me.

I'd rather have actual beam (even chopped) then have fmic act as a beam.

Looks like if you try hard enough fogs can be preserved with avo fmic.

I was gonna use the hacked bumper beam welded to the FMIC.

I am thinking about doing that with the AVO FMIC. I want to try and squeeze enough space so as not to be pushing on the fog lights. I am concerned about the aim of the fog lights as they are very important to me.

There's very little pressure on the fogs in my car. The is (just barely) adequate clearance between the fogs and the flanges at the ends of the frame rails, for the charge piping to pass through. It helped that we ground a couple/few mm off of the flanges, but with that done (and of course with the fog light tubes trimmed) it's not a problem.

If you're planning to remove the stock bumper beam anyway, I bet you could install the Perrin kit for a lot less trouble than modifying the AVO kit.

I thought about doing it this way when I made the XO2 FMIC then I thought about what would happen if the body flex when you went into a driveway at a angle hit a big bump on one side. So then I gave up the foglights and just trimed the beam. Also after looking at the install pictures are you worried adout the rubber hose coming off the IC getting cut by the sharp metal at the bends? What are you doing to keep the hose from being cut as the car bounces and moves?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/DSCF0779.jpg

Archived