LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

you need to find out the mileage on it, but for the most part, they don't go bad. 05+ is what you want so it is the right one. you should get him under $300 for such an old unit though. remember a new one is $650. a 7yo used should be half price or less.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't the spec-b transmission drop the diff without cracking open the case?

If so, there's not really a reason not to do a clutch type at least if the fear is the rebuild.

I drove my car in anger for the first time in months (and will be the last time for a while as the coilovers are going in for rebuild next week). Over very rough pavement. God damn, that diff, I'm still in love.

• 2 weeks later...
Wish I could have saved hundreds getting a used one... Mine is in and I am loving it. I foresee new tires in my future though soon, as my work commute twisty's are more fun than ever now. new synchros, clutch, clutch cylinder my car feels like new.. thanks white tiger I probably would never even have thought of this.. er wait, f- off white tiger for being the enabler and helping me spend more $$$ :)

• 1 month later...

OK so I picked up my car from 5 weeks of hell about 3 weeks ago with nothing really to report on until now. I basically had a euphoric experience while transitioning from one fwy to another.

Traffic got real light and the speeds were averaging around 75 mph ( I was doing more like 85). I decide to transition to another fwy and in doing so saw nothing but a gracefull steady sweeper so I kept the speed up. Three seconds into this gradual high speed turn I see a sign for 45mph. I know I can take this without too much drama but I hadn't taken this route in a while. The Star Specs were nice and warm and provided great feedback and just past the apex it started to tighten a little and then a little more. I was now in a high speed 4 wheel drift (not really, more like detecting I was on the edge of adhesion and they were not going to give me more). Near the end it tightend more than I remembered. I'm now slowly pushing outward and feathering the throttle wasn't enough. As I see myself getting closer to a curb that divides the onramp I decide to get more aggressive with the throttle and that was the trick! It felt like the front tires just woke up and decided to go to work. My drift stopped and I could feel the front end pulling me around. The more throttle I gave the easier it was to hold the line. I could not have done this (wouldn't have tried) with an open diff up front. At least not without some very different dynamics and a lot of drama. My clue that adding in throttle was the way to go was based off my only other experience on this LSD and that was a very tight onramp by my work place where I gave it too much throttle (not too much with my previous open diff) and the car turned in fairly abruptly -- just the LSD at work. I wasn't ready for it but what a pleasant surprise! :)

My major complaint a couple years ago about having no suspension options and hating my understeer (after experimenting with many adjustments) had nothing to do with my set up and had everything to do with the front LSD!

I am in love with this thing!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Dude I got shafted and paid dearly but at least I have my car back and its running ok. The small td05 Tomioka 20g is just that...small. It's screaming for a 10cm housing ;)

I am enjoying it and now working on a custom coolant overflow tank that will slide under the KSTech intake using TMIC piping welded to an L shape. I cannot track it with the tiny Mishimoto tank.

And to stay on topic...Love that LSD!!!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Would it be safe to assume that any front HLSD from a 5spd JDM STI (GC8, 1992-1999), obviously the newer/lower mileage would work?

Time to go sifting through the part-out ads.. :)

• 1 year later...

Still a bunch of work to be done on other areas of the car before it's running again, but I finally installed the JDM FLSD yesterday. Backlash came in right at .005" and the contact pattern looks good. Decided to keep the drive pinion shims as is (0.6mm thick vs. the 0.45mm indicated by the tool) to avoid overlapping patterns, as this R&P has 87,000 miles on it. Thanks to Dave@Rallispec for the sanity check on that.

I'll do a separate thread with more pictures of the process, and info about the front diff, 5MT DCCD w/ MapDCCD controller, and Moore Performance Blast Plates.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Archived