LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

Who has gotten a better rear lsd to compliment their FLSD? I want to know how you like it. I would especially like to hear from people that regularly track/autox their cars!

I've been tracking alot since moving to Socal. I love my flsd (Mfactory unit) but after a couple years am thinking I need to take that extra step in the lsd dept.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awaiting your thorough update :D. I have my eye on a carbonetic/cusco clutch style LSDs

I don't know anything about these clutch-type rears through personal experience, but I talked with Matt @ Guard Transmission extensively about diffs so I would know what I'm selling, and he mentioned that for the LGT/STi rear, clutch type is not going to offer any tangible benefit except if you're planning to get rear wheel lift, or on big open road racing circuits. He said that in Autocross it can actually pay a penalty, sometimes. Again, I'm not the expert, but my understanding is you tailor your selection for your end use, as there is no one diff to do everything best. Don't shoot me :) I just want to understand these things same as everyone.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

What he said sounds similar to what I've read about 1.5 vs 2 way in the rear.

Supposedly 2 way isn't better for auto-x, but it's more preferred for larger high speed tracks / road courses or drifting. 1.0 front and 1.5 way rear is supposedly a pretty good combo for auto-x.

I don't know anything about these clutch-type rears through personal experience, but I talked with Matt @ Guard Transmission extensively about diffs so I would know what I'm selling, and he mentioned that for the LGT/STi rear, clutch type is not going to offer any tangible benefit except if you're planning to get rear wheel lift, or on big open road racing circuits. He said that in Autocross it can actually pay a penalty, sometimes. Again, I'm not the expert, but my understanding is you tailor your selection for your end use, as there is no one diff to do everything best. Don't shoot me :) I just want to understand these things same as everyone.

Thanks ClimberD! Good insight. I mainly do roadcourses now some big some small. I'm doing research to see if its worth the investment, especially if I only do it as a hobby. I like to try and get the best possible times I can get. I'm at the point where I'm thinking should I try to get lower times by adding power or improving the drivetrain? I'll keep searching....

^^^ Why not do both?

I'm passively watching for a cheap used 1-way or 1.5 way needing rebuild just for the simple joy of having one more serviceable part to adjust, and also to be able to lose traction in more ridiculous ways (if you're going to spin tires, spin them well). Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to rear LSDs. But for the front, the TBD-type front differential is in fact a badass modification that makes the car feel like what I imagine a proper AWD performance car should feel like. I get why they say it lowers understeer, because the front end pulls itself through corners. It's just silly how big of a difference it makes, and make me wonder why Subaru ONLY put it in the STi, though I guess most soccer moms turn and THEN accelerate. That would be a waste of a front TBD.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

If you folks are getting to the point where you're thinking about buying two or three new LSD's, seriously consider an STI 6MT+R180 swap. You get good front and rear LSD's included, and a better center diff than anything you can buy for the 5MT. I remember looking at front and rear LSD's for my LGT and $1k+ was typical per diff. I don't remember finding any good all-around center diff upgrades for the 5MT (they all had downsides for a track+commute+snow car), but if there are any I'm sure they're $1k+ too. $3k+ is approaching 6MT territory. Certainly you'll spend more on the 6MT setup overall, but you'll have a much better transmission in the end, and you should be able to make some money back from selling your 5MT+R160.

I do think the helical front is very worthwhile by itself. What I'm saying mostly applies if you're planning to go beyond that.

I do think the helical front is very worthwhile by itself. What I'm saying mostly applies if you're planning to go beyond that.

Of course, the problem being that we all start off with the front, so it is a sunk $1000+ cost.

Also, a 6MT knocks you out of ESP, and as most of those with front diffs AX, that would be an issue.

Ah, so true. There are many things in life that we all would have done differently if we'd planned it all out from the start. And what's the fun in planning everything? :icon_twis

Auto-x classing is interesting. I've only done track days, no auto-x or anything competitive, so classing is foreign to me (aside from driver classing/grouping). I'm surprised your auto-x class allows diff upgrades if it does not allow a transmission upgrade.

Ah, so true. There are many things in life that we all would have done differently if we'd planned it all out from the start. And what's the fun in planning everything? :icon_twis

Auto-x classing is interesting. I've only done track days, no auto-x or anything competitive, so classing is foreign to me (aside from driver classing/grouping). I'm surprised your auto-x class allows diff upgrades if it does not allow a transmission upgrade.

They don't want you to be able to mess with gearing. Also, this being autocross some jerk would put in a superlight 2 speed gear box sans reverse.

Pictures... read the walkthrough in the FSM. It is precise and accurate. Do exactly what it says, and you will find pictures to be repetitive and a waste of time. You either just do it or you don't :)

Is this documentation good for the diff install?

Ive had a jdm spec c front helical diff on my shelf for a few months now my installer had been trying to find someone to assist worth the diff install. Not sure what to do, he is legit, one of few people I trust to wrench on my car... But he wants to be sure before dropping the 6mt.

Is this documentation good for the diff install?

Ive had a jdm spec c front helical diff on my shelf for a few months now my installer had been trying to find someone to assist worth the diff install. Not sure what to do, he is legit, one of few people I trust to wrench on my car... But he wants to be sure before dropping the 6mt.

Don't you not need to drop the 6MT to install a front diff?

Yes of course you have to remove the transmission... or remove the engine and leave the transmission (though this would be much more difficult for setting preload... or remove the engine and transmission together and then split the two apart at the main trans case... or remove the car from the engine and transmission... or just remove the transmission :)

I actually picked up an STI takeoff front LSD for my 6MT, but haven't done anything with it yet. The previous owner indicated it had <500 miles on it, as it was bought as a Rally build and taken off immediately. That said, it was sitting on a shelf for 5+ years, so it has a bit of surface rust on the outside of the case (just some light spotting). These being sealed diffs, I'm not sure what to do to kind of "go over" it to assess condition. Anyone have any thoughts? The shaft inserts look essentially brand new, no signs of wear at all. I'm guessing at a minimum I should flush some gear oil through it a few times. Any experts want to chime in?

On the bright side, even if it's junk/unusable I think it's worth well more than I paid in metal based on weight.

Archived