LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not surprised rates have gone up. Any OEM manufacturer is required to make parts for at least 2 past generations of every car. The time for our 5-speed LSD has expired. This item was OEM on the first generation years 1999-2000 revision VI Japanese GC8G. And guess what...it's been a while since. Subaru has now released the 4th Generation Impreza. So now, OEM manufacturing support for first gen was dropped and the factory front LSDs will be harder and harder to find.

Glad I got mine 2 years ago. Whoever intends to keep the car and upgrade that part, better do it soon. Six months from now they may not find that part available anymore.

I don't know about that, I think they'll keep making them as aftermarket parts as long as they support motorsports. That was the last time it was on a production version, but I'm sure a lot of the Spec-Cs they sell and any Group N cars, etc get them added.

Ok, so I picked it up for a steal (thanks Vince!) and it's sitting in my garage because I have to save to have it installed.

The labor for this is crazy... I have made 3 inquiries and all want $1k.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Ok, so I picked it up for a steal (thanks Vince!) and it's sitting in my garage because I have to save to have it installed.

The labor for this is crazy... I have made 3 inquiries and all want $1k.

With the tranny in the car or out of the car? If the latter they try to rip you off. If with the car, it's not totally out of line, because clutch job itself is easily $600 in labor.

Btw, there is no need to open up the tranny for front diff install (contrary to what vacation pix say). All that it takes is removal of the bell housing. I paid $300 (at Rallispec). Even that is quite a bit because it takes no more than an hour grand total, possibly less. But I guess one is paying for having special tools and experience. Someone could tackle this himself, the only difficult thing about is adjusting the backlash/bearing preload and pressing in/out the diff bearings.

Another review after 15k miles of DD'ing and testing:

FWIW, I can see now how some people have said this mod increases understeer. I say this with some caution because alot of people think oversteer = how easy does the tail kick out, and understeer is the opposite. My interpretation of oversteer is different, but I'll save that for the next thread that comes up about "will installing a RSB make my car tail happy?". So, if we stick with oversteer = rear kicking out, then yes this mod decreases that.

Previously with the torsen only rear, the car's weight used to feel more centered. During a 180-270 degree turn, I just had to give it a lil more gas mid turn and the car would rotate around a center point inside the car during a 4 wheel power slide. Turn exit would be ease a lil on the gas and wait for the rears to catch traction again slowly, then feather the throttle on the way out.

With the FLSD, I have to try harder to get the rear to step out with a combination of more entry speed, more steering wheel turn input, and more brakes. But the car does benefit from being able to get on the gas alot more and sooner than without this mod, so overall the mod is a big plus for me. The rear is harder to step out because most of the weight is being pulled around the corner.

Now the weight is more spread out, and you can feel the power is more spread out too. Now going into a turn, it's more of a pitch it -> 4 wheel slide a lil-> smash the gas at the apex-> have fun. More entry speed + earlier acceleration = good thing, even if the rear doesn't kick out as much.

Still highly recommend this mod, no regrets, makes me look forward to onramps and offramps during my DD.

Another review after 15k miles of DD'ing and testing:

FWIW, I can see now how some people have said this mod increases understeer. I say this with some caution because alot of people think oversteer = how easy does the tail kick out, and understeer is the opposite. My interpretation of oversteer is different, but I'll save that for the next thread that comes up about "will installing a RSB make my car tail happy?". So, if we stick with oversteer = rear kicking out, then yes this mod decreases that.

Previously with the torsen only rear, the car's weight used to feel more centered. During a 180-270 degree turn, I just had to give it a lil more gas mid turn and the car would rotate around a center point inside the car during a 4 wheel power slide. Turn exit would be ease a lil on the gas and wait for the rears to catch traction again slowly, then feather the throttle on the way out.

With the FLSD, I have to try harder to get the rear to step out with a combination of more entry speed, more steering wheel turn input, and more brakes. But the car does benefit from being able to get on the gas alot more and sooner than without this mod, so overall the mod is a big plus for me. The rear is harder to step out because most of the weight is being pulled around the corner.

Now the weight is more spread out, and you can feel the power is more spread out too. Now going into a turn, it's more of a pitch it -> 4 wheel slide a lil-> smash the gas at the apex-> have fun. More entry speed + earlier acceleration = good thing, even if the rear doesn't kick out as much.

Still highly recommend this mod, no regrets, makes me look forward to onramps and offramps during my DD.

Agreed.

Basically, you're adding a ton of grip, all in the front. This makes the car drive a bit more like an FWD car than it used to. If you want to do burnouts it isn't the right mod, but if you want more grip and better handling it is better.

You don't actually understeer more, you just oversteer less. You might get into situations where you understeer a bit more early on just because the grip might cause you to enter too fast, but otherwise, it certainly isn't causing your front end to loose traction more.

Agreed and I will just reiterate my earlier statements. I used to dread making turns on snow covered roads as I would always risk "losing" it. Now I am as confident or even more so in its winter weather cornering abilities as I am in my Forester with traction and stability control.

• 1 month later...
So for everyone that has done this mod on a 5MT, is there anything else you would suggest doing at the same time?

I got the gears treated.

As the transmission's going to be out, I'd be ready to replace any syncros or gears that look rough.

• 2 weeks later...
So will a front LSD from a USDM sti work ? I looked and there was a link to ralllispec but it says a jdm part.. I have a line on a US sti lsd and want to snag it if I can ....

thanks,

if you are putting it in a spec b 6mt then yes. wont fit in a 5mt. for the 5mt you have to go JDM or aftermarket.

• 2 weeks later...
This is turning out to be quite an expensive mod. First I have to buy 2x roller bearings, now the shop says they can't just remove the bell housing, so they have to crack the transmission just to make it work. I have a feeling there will be more issues ahead. With the cost of the diff, it's almost 2k in costs already. Luckily, I'm doing the clutch and all related bushing at the same time.

Can you tell if I need 2 roller bearings? Or perhaps any other stuff I should have known about before buying it... sigh.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx8/authenticamd/IMG_20110929_173444.jpg

So I'm told this was not the front differential, but in fact is the rear differential. Is this true? Can anyone tell from the picture?

Archived