LegacyGT.com

Spec.B - 2 days, 264 miles, engine goes buh bye.

well I guess we should say.. welcome to the forum new non-borked lgt-B SWP owner! :lol:

We will of course be requiring pictures of the new one when it comes in.. :) I'm not aware that I've ever seen a SWP LGT-B

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well I guess we should say.. welcome to the forum new non-borked lgt-B SWP owner! :lol:

We will of course be requiring pictures of the new one when it comes in.. :) I'm not aware that I've ever seen a SWP LGT-B

Thank you! ;)

And here's exactly what we got, and we'll be getting again... This one belongs to Mike_Hawk... lucky SOB!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98349

Glad it worked out for you

BTW Eddie,

Recommend you take the SVX, find a good used LGT 5MT or even a Spec B 6MT and replace the 4EAT in your SVX. I know this shop does an awesome job, both with the actual install and with the replacement kit. And I believe they are in your region.

When I find the right SVX, this is exactly what I'm planning to do with it.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Update!!!!

They are ordering us a new '09 Spec.B SWP!!!! :-D

So, the issue was... spun rod bearing!

And, here's more info on the issue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/

So, the VIN is: 4S3BL696493211241

The dealrship is Chaplin's Automotive Group in Bellevue, WA. They were extremely apologetic and gave us the option of a quartz silver, the dark metallic one, or order an SWP (the other two are available in the region).

My wife wants SWP again. :)

The sucky part? I'm stuck with the loaner Outback base model until we get it... :lol:

At least you still have AWD :)

the slow n/a and spongy handling of the outback will make you REALLY appreciate the precision and speed of your LGT-B that much more wen you get it!

sorry outback guys.. but your giant truck tires make them handle spongy.. :lol:;)

that car looks awesome, whats even better is if I REALLY wanted.. I could make mine look exactly like that.

I am still chewing on a jdm spec B bumper for mine, jdm tails and either those cool forrester rims (where they sti or something?) or usdm spec B rims if I can correct the speedometer for tire size..

but that will be after stage 2.. which will be after payoff.. barring any major failings of course.. if my car does what your 1st one did.. its getting repaired.. then getting traded.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Even though all the drama is over... subscribe.

Congrats and hope you enjoy Legacy #2.

Thanks!

And...not a bad idea... I think my experience could become someone else's early warning, in case they begin to experience similar symptoms. I hope it does not scare people away from at least trying out these awesome cars.

I'm just hoping the new one is outside the production numbers affected by the "sand paper of death".. SPOD! :lol:

Glad it worked out for you

BTW Eddie,

Recommend you take the SVX, find a good used LGT 5MT or even a Spec B 6MT and replace the 4EAT in your SVX. I know this shop does an awesome job, both with the actual install and with the replacement kit. And I believe they are in your region.

When I find the right SVX, this is exactly what I'm planning to do with it.

It's in my "to do" list... I've interacted with that shop before. I think they wanted something like $4800 for the whole swap.

It's in my "to do" list... I've interacted with that shop before. I think they wanted something like $4800 for the whole swap.

That's pricey - could do it for a lot less yourself, if you're good at wrenching. Figure $2.5K for a new SpecB 6MT and the parts to go with that, and another $500 or so for their parts, if you didn't want to source them yourself, and be done at $3K which is definitely worth it in my book. Those who have driven the SVX with the 5MT conversion have all loved the change in the driving dynamic. Could only imagine what it would be like to have that much torque off-idle... can you say smooth acceleration?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The intent of that law probably is to allow a "cooling off" period after purchasing (time to change your mind), not to provide another route for "lemon" cars. I wouldn't count on putting the car in for repair (but not returning it under that law) within 72 hours as complying with that law.

However, there is a law that allows for a new vehicle to be returned within 72 hours of purchasing.

The intent of that law probably is to allow a "cooling off" period after purchasing (time to change your mind), not to provide another route for "lemon" cars. I wouldn't count on putting the car in for repair (but not returning it under that law) within 72 hours as complying with that law.

Although I already stated that I was mistaken about that law in WA state anyway (there is no cool off period in this state), if there were it would apply for BOTH changing your mind or if there is a manufacturer's defect in the vehicle... I mean, c'mon, you're telling me that if you buy a car in a state that allows a cool off period and it fails within that period, the state law will deny your right to change your mind about the car?

Either way, this discussion is pointless since A) That law does not exist in my state, and B) SOA and my dealership heired (sp?) on the side of the customer and made things right for me.

Happy ending, and not the kind that only happens in massage parlors. :cool:

If you're going to pay that good money for a brand new car, I would make them give you a new one. Don't even let them fix this one. It was probably a faulty one straight off the assembly line. Get a new one or tell them you don't want anything from them anymore. The car is only 2 days old. You still can get your money.

^^^

Guys, read the whole thread. (or at least the last 2 pages) :redface:

The dealer admitted there was an engine problem, and he's getting a new car. White Spec-B.

My bad buddy. I just went through and noticed he got a new car. I was in a bit of a rush (had to pee but didn't wanna lose my train of thought) lol. But anyways, congrats on the new Subbie and hopefully you'll have good luck with this one.

9 times out of 10, you can get a better deal on the car by ordering it. The dealer does not have to sit with the car in their lot, so the overhead of paying interest on the purchase price of the car, taxes, garage fees, depreciation from test drives, etc is all $0 for the dealer.

This is typically not the case for most dealers. When I was a car salesman the saying was "The best deals are on the lot". Dealers usually have to pay a floor plan meaning interest on each car sitting on the lot per month. A dealership will rather have cars sitting around go rather than sit and order more inventory on top of them.

Back on topic, sucks to hear about the Spec man. My lgt has just over 60,000miles and since I've owned it from around 53k it has a rattle on start up. I was fed all the excuses in the book by various subaru service writers in the area with no help what so ever. It sucks, but im glad everything worked out for you in the end.

^^^

Guys, read the whole thread. (or at least the last 2 pages) :redface:

The dealer admitted there was an engine problem, and he's getting a new car. White Spec-B.

I'm adding your cliffnotes to the first post, for those with overactive bladders who can't wait shifting through 7 pages to know the outcome. :p

For some reason, reading the summary in the third person sounds so much better... Don't know why. :)

Archived