LegacyGT.com

Spec.B - 2 days, 264 miles, engine goes buh bye.

I did a "Post Quick Reply" but still haven't seen it... Do replies go through approval process as well?

Strange.... :confused: Replies should show instantly - but then again, you're a brand-new member, so I honestly don't know.

My gut feeling is that it was a server/Internet glitch, and that particular post is now lost in teh Intr4w3b!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strange.... :confused: Replies should show instantly - but then again, you're a brand-new member, so I honestly don't know.

My gut feeling is that it was a server/Internet glitch, and that particular post is now lost in teh Intr4w3b!

R.I.P., post. :redface:

I also own a '92 SVX, but I purchased it used. This was my first new Subaru, though.

I absolutely hate the loaner Outback they gave me. :rolleyes:

So, I've been doing more research, and I have been wrong in my assumption of the 72 hours period... Apparently WA state does NOT have a cooling off period. However, they do allow for sales contract to be cancelled if the seller agrees and/or there's legal cause.

So, I am hoping that the dealer/SOA do the right thing. After all, I'm not just cancelling and looking away, I want another spec.B. I just want one that will last longer than 264 miles. :mad:

Good luck getting the dealer to take the car back, you'll likely end up having to get SOA to buy it back as the dealer will do all they can to not take a bath on the car.

Once you get your money back I would look at a different model of car altogether. I don't know how build quality on the '09 model is, but my '05 was a real turd and had several instances of engine trouble along with numerous squeaks and rattles. I got rid of it last December and have no regrets at all.

Subaru FTW! The LGT is a great car! My 2008 is at 28k and no mechanical issues whatsoever, nor any squeaks or rattles.

Good for you, I hope you can say the same thing in 58k miles. I could not with my car. I hat two fuel injectors go bad on me, one window regulator that had to be replaced, about 10 low beam bulbs burn out, and enough rattling and squeaking to drive you insane on a long drive. The engine also drank oil, returned mediocre mileage, and had a noticeable hesitation at about 4000-4500 rpms that was deemed "normal". The brakes were weak and squeaky too.

Good riddance.:lol:

Good for you, I hope you can say the same thing in 58k miles. I could not with my car. I hat two fuel injectors go bad on me, one window regulator that had to be replaced, about 10 low beam bulbs burn out, and enough rattling and squeaking to drive you insane on a long drive. The engine also drank oil, returned mediocre mileage, and had a noticeable hesitation at about 4000-4500 rpms that was deemed "normal". The brakes were weak and squeaky too.

Good riddance.:lol:

All service-related too, IMO. All of that stuff should have been fixed under warranty, and fixed right! So, I don't blame you. If my service consistently sucked that bad, I'd think about going with something else too. Fortunately, there are some good dealerships out there.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Re: service related--> Maybe, maybe not... but regardless there will always be a few bad apples in the bunch (obviously, see OP ;)) But overall, I think the quality of my Subaru (and Subarus in general) is pretty good compared to past cars I've owned, and others I have driven.

Penguin - hope I can say that at 58k too buddy! :) Sorry your LGT may have been a bad apple, but glad you found a ride that makes you happy! :)

I have faith in Subarus. What concerns me is the dealership at this point...

I got a call while I was in the bathroom, go figure. The voice message was from their sales manager (who'm I've never met), and all it said was that they dug into the engine and he wanted to discuss options and find out what we wanted to do.

I called back immediately but got his VM. That was 45 minutes ago. The suspense continues...

^^ you may have the wrong forum.

:lol:

No I have the right forum to discuss my now departed crappy Legacy on. I owned the car for a little over three years and just under 60k miles. Enough to know it wasn't likely to make 100k miles without some major $ being thrown at it in parts and maintenance.

Penguin - hope I can say that at 58k too buddy! :) Sorry your LGT may have been a bad apple, but glad you found a ride that makes you happy! :)

Hopefully the build quality has improved, but that '05 (built in August of '04 I think) was not impressive. Other owners of '05 model cars have had similar issues.

The new vehicle (truck) is OK, it is certainly not as much fun to drive but it is far more useful. I'll keep it until it starts to become unreliable (hopefully 10 years or so), and buy another sports sedan once it is paid off.

Now that I own a truck it would be really hard to not own one anymore, they are just too damn handy to have around.:redface:

Update!!!!

They are ordering us a new '09 Spec.B SWP!!!! :-D

So, the issue was... spun rod bearing!

And, here's more info on the issue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/

So, the VIN is: 4S3BL696493211241

The dealrship is Chaplin's Automotive Group in Bellevue, WA. They were extremely apologetic and gave us the option of a quartz silver, the dark metallic one, or order an SWP (the other two are available in the region).

My wife wants SWP again. :)

The sucky part? I'm stuck with the loaner Outback base model until we get it... :lol:

Thank you!

In less than a week I got to test Subaru's Roadside Assistance, their warranty service, and the dealer's service.

All in all I'd say, top-notch. I'm just happy we will get to be on another subbie, soon!

Well, okay, I get to drive one to and from work for the next few days/week... But not exactly my bag of chips. :redface:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/

John Spillane, a spokesman for Subaru of America apologized for the inconvenience to customers and dealers saying:

"As it turns out our decision to use sandpaper as a material to make all of the bearings in the 2.5L engine was a mistake. We originally thought this was a cost effective way to reduce expensive machine time needed to polish crank shafts and other moving parts that go into the engine. Our engineering staff theorized that the new material change would achieve a good working polish on these parts from the engine running long enough to polish down the coated parts. We had no idea that this change would result in excessive friction and result in engine damage.

We are now also reviewing our decision to use environmentally friendly vegetable oil as a primary lubricant for the engine, transmission, and axles from the factory."

Good job guys.

John Spillane, a spokesman for Subaru of America apologized for the inconvenience to customers and dealers saying:

"As it turns out our decision to use sandpaper as a material to make all of the bearings in the 2.5L engine was a mistake. We originally thought this was a cost effective way to reduce expensive machine time needed to polish crank shafts and other moving parts that go into the engine. Our engineering staff theorized that the new material change would achieve a good working polish on these parts from the engine running long enough to polish down the coated parts. We had no idea that this change would result in excessive friction and result in engine damage.

We are now also reviewing our decision to use environmentally friendly vegetable oil as a primary lubricant for the engine, transmission, and axles from the factory."

Good job guys.

Hey man, at least they're open and honest about it. You should learn about the horror stories with Ford/SVT (we owned an 04 Cobra supercharged a few years ago)... They NEVER admit to issues and even go as far as blaming the consumer for early engine failures that are clearly design issues.

Then there's Chrysler...

BTW, Tundras are awesome trucks. There, I made peace. Now quit making fun of our subbies. :p

Hey man, at least they're open and honest about it. You should learn about the horror stories with Ford/SVT (we owned an 04 Cobra supercharged a few years ago)... They NEVER admit to issues and even go as far as blaming the consumer for early engine failures that are clearly design issues.

Then there's Chrysler...

BTW, Tundras are awesome trucks. There, I made peace. Now quit making fun of our subbies. :p

Glad everything worked out for you, and hopefully there will be no more issues for you to deal with.

I still like Subaru's and would give them another chance if they still build anything worth driving in 4-5 years.

:lol::lol:

Good job guys.

Congrats, Eddie !!!! :D May your luck be better, this time around! :D

---

I owned the car for a little over three years and just under 60k miles. Enough to know it wasn't likely to make 100k miles without some major $ being thrown at it in parts and maintenance.

Hopefully the build quality has improved, but that '05 (built in August of '04 I think) was not impressive. Other owners of '05 model cars have had similar issues.

^ I think that's too broad of a blanket-statement, and is more related to individual-car, production-line, variances, than anything else.

Mine actually carries a DOB even earlier than yours.

My build-date was in June of '04.

My Winky was also a dealer demo, with 6500 or so miles on the odo, before I took possession of her (it was love at first drive, which was, at the time, a total lark, as I'd gone in looking for a 5MT '05 WRX wagon counterpart to my wife's 4EAT '05 WRX sedan) in May of '05.

She has not, since I've owned her, spent even one hour in the shop. I've done all of her maintenance work, and she' never give me a day's worth of trouble. She's a true daily-driver, and although her mileage is very low, she sees a lot of very taxing short-distance commutes. And although I consider myself to be mechanically empathic and sympathetic - as well as religiously maintain an OCI of 3K miles/3 months, whenever first (first two years with M1 5W30, for the last year with German Castrol 0W30, always with PureOne filters) - I do demand a lot of my car. I slip-launch from 3.5K about twice a week (and yes, I'm still on the stock clutch), and I'm not hesitant about taking her to redline.

To the best of my knowledge, she's only had routine fluids and filters changed before me, too.

She's been typical "Stage II" as of September of '05, at around 10K miles.

I don't think you're wrong, Penguin, with what you've said, nor with how you perceive the BL/BP Legacy, given the problems that you'd encountered.

But at the same time, I think that your experience needs to be counterbalanced by that of the majority of us here - who've had either no problems, or only very minor ones - with our vehicles.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived