LegacyGT.com

Spec.B - 2 days, 264 miles, engine goes buh bye.

that sucks I'd get a new one thaat one probily was built on saturday overtime !! then on it's first test run by factory or dealear or the first test driver, ripped on it not warming it up it turbo ain't it. I kinda feel ya cause I got a much used legacy turbo that ran real good (exept it would stall sometimes) but then lost power and big noise after 3 days (did'nt expect that) cause it was running so good!!! but if it was new or almost new I'd want a different car. Man that sucks I'd a told them take it back and they would have to do alot of ass kissin, for me to even think of gettin a new onr or evin think about getting it fixed!!

Jesus H. Christ.

I've never felt so lost before.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that sucks I'd get a new one thaat one probily was built on saturday overtime !! then on it's first test run by factory or dealear or the first test driver, ripped on it not warming it up it turbo ain't it. I kinda feel ya cause I got a much used legacy turbo that ran real good (exept it would stall sometimes) but then lost power and big noise after 3 days (did'nt expect that) cause it was running so good!!! but if it was new or almost new I'd want a different car. Man that sucks I'd a told them take it back and they would have to do alot of ass kissin, for me to even think of gettin a new onr or evin think about getting it fixed!!

+1 :lol:

SOB STORY ALERT!!

My '09 specB SWP died on me with 2200KM (1400mi) on it when it was 24 days old. Since then it has sat at the "dealership" for another 25 days. A new engine is currently still on order. Not once have I received a phone call from anyone at the dealership for any reason. Only by storming in and demanding explanations have I got them to talk to me. You can imagine how PO'd I am, but I'm at least able to function knowing a new engine is coming. They claim to not know what happened to the old engine, saying it has to get sent away to have that determined. i actually believe that b/c it is such a small dealership. My list of loaners so far includes an 06 Baja and an 04 Sonata.

Any chance they'll order me a new car? I guess I should at least try for one, but I can't see that happening.

Do you know the production dates for the "new and improved" engines?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

From what I understand by the "stop sale" issued by subaru for this problem, they are supposed to replace your vehicle. I would not accept a new engine if it were me. Maybe the OP can assist you here as I am sure he is more familiar with all the details of the "stop sale".

SOB STORY ALERT!!

My '09 specB SWP died on me with 2200KM (1400mi) on it when it was 24 days old. Since then it has sat at the "dealership" for another 25 days. A new engine is currently still on order. Not once have I received a phone call from anyone at the dealership for any reason. Only by storming in and demanding explanations have I got them to talk to me. You can imagine how PO'd I am, but I'm at least able to function knowing a new engine is coming. They claim to not know what happened to the old engine, saying it has to get sent away to have that determined. i actually believe that b/c it is such a small dealership. My list of loaners so far includes an 06 Baja and an 04 Sonata.

Any chance they'll order me a new car? I guess I should at least try for one, but I can't see that happening.

Call SOA immediately and demand new car.

:whore:

Settle for nothing less than a new car. I wouldn't want a "new" car with a replaced motor. Can't be good for resale down the road. Plus, I'd just associate that car with that engine and kick myself if anything else were to go wrong.

IMO - you paid for a new car, you should get a new car. Let them deal with the one that blew up.

There's a thread on NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487482

There are other cars outside the stop build dates that have popped engines. Folks are still reporting, although it's a small number overall.

I just had the same experience with my 2009 Forrester XT with 2200 miles on it. Piston 1 had a bearing failure, rammed the head, and was pulled back into the engine in pieces. The rep wanted to do a short block, but after calling the office of Mr. Ikeda, the President of Subaru America, they took a complete engine off the assembly line and sent it to the dealer. Got it back and it 'seems' to be working, and they called and offered me a 'free' 7 year Gold Extended Warranty on the entire car.

Don't accept a 'short block', the damage is so extreme that pieces of the rings were in the oil pan and throughout the engine. The Subaru rep delayed 10 days after the dealer recommended a long block, and had I not taken it to the 'top' I might have been stuck with a very poor solution.

STICK TO YOUR GUNS IF THIS HAPPENS AND DEMAND A NEW ENGINE!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

SOB STORY ALERT!!

Do you happen to know the statue of lemon law is in your area? It's different everywhere here in the US, not sure how they work up in CA, but in WA state if a car's in the shop for more than 30 consecutive days within the first 24k miles or 24 months it is automatically dimmed a lemon. At which point the manufacturer must give you the choice between a brand new car or to "purchase" the vehicle back from you... The latter can be tricky, since they use some odd formula to devalue the vehicle based on # of miles, etc... But in your case, less than a month old and 1400 miles should net close to 100% of your purchase price (if it were here in WA).

I am so scared this is going to happen to our replacement spec.B. :spin:

Since yesterday it's begun to behave oddly (that bad hesitation the first one had prior to failing it's developing... Very noticible and easy to reproduce). I'm going to call the dealership in the next day or so to schedule yet another visit in to have it checked out.

I'm considering changing the oil at 1000 miles and sending a sample in for analysis to an independent lab (NC Machinery here in WA state does analysis for like $20 or something).

hmm good idea

Things appeared to be progressing better up until the 700 miles marker... Now it feels very much like the first one did from the get go...

Maybe I'm just traumatized from the first incident... It was really heartbreaking when I realized what had happened. If I have to go through it again I'm going to go postal.

Things appeared to be progressing better up until the 700 miles marker... Now it feels very much like the first one did from the get go...

^ Are you hearing the bad stuff, like you did before?

*That* would scare me. :bitesnails:

But if you're feeling some slight hesitation only, indeed, it may be that you've just been too traumatized by your virgin experience. If you've had a slight warm-up in weather like we have had here in NE-Ohio in the last couple of days, your car can have a few little hickups, as it tries to adjust.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

SOB STORY ALERT!!

My WRX was not in the stop-sale date range, so there are some other problems.

I'd hold your dealer's feet to the fire. My car was diagnosed on Weds and the new engine has already arrived at the dealership.

Are there Lemon Laws in Canada? In the US you'd be entitled to a new car or refund in just about any state.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

^ Are you hearing the bad stuff, like you did before?

*That* would scare me. :bitesnails:

But if you're feeling some slight hesitation only, indeed, it may be that you've just been too traumatized by your virgin experience. If you've had a slight warm-up in weather like we have had here in NE-Ohio in the last couple of days, your car can have a few little hickups, as it tries to adjust.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanks! That is what I'm hoping... Our weather turned all warm and moggy (lots of rain in the high 50's to low 60's...vs the nice low 40's of a week prior).

I might need to join a support group...

"Hello, my name is Eddie and all my rods are belong to Subaru."

:rolleyes:

^ :lol: Glad your spirits are up, even through all of this. :)

Indeed, the LGT suffers tremendously when the weather's hotter than usual, and when humidity is high. Our car is very sensitive to intake temperatures.

High-50s to low-60s should still return with nice and smooth power delivery - compared to the dog-days of summer - but given the temperatures the week before, the transition could be a little rough.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

eddie, describe the hesitation a bit more and maybe we can tell you if it's normal or not?

the car is slightly finicky when it comes to weather changes, so that combined with your understandable paranoia may be it

:lol:

eddie I think you need to edit your intial posts or people are going to continue to come into this thread and say

"OMFG THAT SUCKS DUDE ID DEMAND A NEW ONE! :mad:"

:lol::lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Well, good news from me:). This was easier than I thought it would be.

I told the GM of my dealership I want a new car. He said he couldn't do that himself, but he would do what he can do from his end of things. He said my new engine was in and was being installed as we were speaking, and I was tempted just to take it back. I REALLY HATE DRIVING THIS HYUNDAI! Well actually I make my wife drive it;). But I resisted the urge to settle. I called SOC and let them have it and told them nothing but a new car will be acceptable. One day later (yesterday morning) they called back to discuss options.

They tried hard to get me to take the new engine, saying it was fresh from Japan, and was an "improved engine" etc. They wanted to talk about possibly kicking in some money for a payment as well. But I didn't go for it, and that is when they said they could ship me a NEW CAR :D. I tried for a new car AND money, but was a no go. So it will take a while, since there aren't any '09 spec B's in white in Canada available, but they said I can drive my old specB with the new engine in the meantime or get the dealership to offer me a little more current and reliable loaner.

Satisfied customer :wub:.

Why didn't I do this 4 weeks ago?!:p

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Well, good news from me:). This was easier than I thought it would be.

I told the GM of my dealership I want a new car. He said he couldn't do that himself, but he would do what he can do from his end of things. He said my new engine was in and was being installed as we were speaking, and I was tempted just to take it back. I REALLY HATE DRIVING THIS HYUNDAI! Well actually I make my wife drive it;). But I resisted the urge to settle. I called SOC and let them have it and told them nothing but a new car will be acceptable. One day later (yesterday morning) they called back to discuss options.

They tried hard to get me to take the new engine, saying it was fresh from Japan, and was an "improved engine" etc. They wanted to talk about possibly kicking in some money for a payment as well. But I didn't go for it, and that is when they said they could ship me a NEW CAR :D. I tried for a new car AND money, but was a no go. So it will take a while, since there aren't any '09 spec B's in white in Canada available, but they said I can drive my old specB with the new engine in the meantime or get the dealership to offer me a little more current and reliable loaner.

Satisfied customer :wub:.

Why didn't I do this 4 weeks ago?!:p

Because you needed your LGT.com crew to steer you in the right direction...;). Glad to hear it is all working out for you.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

...So I wonder what's happening to all these "new-ish" cars that have had their engines replaced?
It's not a huge number. Most are given 7/100 warranties and drive away.

If a dealer takes one back they usually insist on an extended warranty and resell it, I believe.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived