LegacyGT.com

Spec.B - 2 days, 264 miles, engine goes buh bye.

good to hear everything worked out and you were able to get a new replacement Spec.B. These types of stories always seem to end in a long dragged out pain, so one that turns out well for the consumer is good to hear!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give em $4k for the car minus the engine.. slap a performance block in there and mate it with that 6spd..

:wub::wub:

Ill swap my engine from my 08' GT into it :) I wanted a white spec B but they didnt have it so I settled for a White GT

So, what happens to all the cars that this happens to? Engine gets replaced and car gets sold as used? Refurbed? Miles would be super low... Just curious, because it really would be a waste otherwise.

Curious about that myself. I might ask the dealer what will be the car's fate.

I hope it doesn't get destroyed, if SOA claims it as a loss or something.

My guess is they might use the parts as warranty replacement "remanufactured" parts.

I posted the VIN so you guys can check, in case it happens to pop-up for sale again. (In my page 5 update)

This is typically not the case for most dealers. When I was a car salesman the saying was "The best deals are on the lot". Dealers usually have to pay a floor plan meaning interest on each car sitting on the lot per month. A dealership will rather have cars sitting around go rather than sit and order more inventory on top of them.

Just to 2nd this part.

My parents used to own a Yamaha dealership (sold in 2005) the flooring gets VERY bad. to the point that the dealer is better off paying off what they owe to the manufacturer instead of pay the flooring. which can get very expensive for the dealer itself. Consider my Parents had at least 1.5+ million in inventory (bikes, watercraft, ATV's. NOT including parts...) if they could not sell all of the "units" fairly quickly, and they had to basicly buy the units to stop the hemoraging that flooring can cost. that would be 1.5 million they could have used for other aspects of the business. (ordering parts, payroll, bills... etc.) My parents did quite well keeping the flooring down, but there were times that they ended up owning a lot of units. a Car lot... multiply that. if a dealer has the same "units" on the lot for a long time... watch the local ads for a gimmick sale of some kind. usualy thats mainly what the gimmick sales you see dealers do are for. get rid of the cars they are bleeding cash on due to flooring, or are about to pay flooring on.

but, some dealers can move cars fairly quickly and are able to make you a good deal on a made to order car also. Like the dealer i bought from, and Farrish (SP?) in Fairfax that posts his deals here. If a dealer can't move cars off the lot very fast, they will never give you a good deal on a made to order car. Or not nearly as good as one on the lot.

Back on topic. Glad to see the dealer make the right choice. not sure how i personaly would have taken it if that happened to me and the dealer would not get me a new car... probably driven the car into the showroom :cool:

my 09 spec b blew a rob bearing the at 700 miles, subaru gave me a new engine

Ok, now I'm nervous and wondering if I should cancel the order and look at a different car....

That C63 AMG is looking like more of a bargain by the minute.... $20k more might be worth the peace of mind (hand-built engine).

What's the mfg date of yours? Could you PM me your VIN? I am writing a letter to SOA and the more factual data I have the better.

Ok, now I'm nervous and wondering if I should cancel the order and look at a different car....

That C63 AMG is looking like more of a bargain by the minute.... $20k more might be worth the peace of mind (hand-built engine).

What's the mfg date of yours? Could you PM me your VIN? I am writing a letter to SOA and the more factual data I have the better.

I tried to tell you this was the way to go. If your new car fails you in less than 500 miles, you don't replace it with another one exactly like it. Walk away.

Besides if you could afford a C63, I know what I would be driving. It wouldn't be a Spec B either....:lol:

If you have an extra $20K to blow, get the the spec b, and invest the $20K while the market is down.

Or even better go buy a new Civic and use the $30K to sink in the market while good deals can be had!

Update!!!!

They are ordering us a new '09 Spec.B SWP!!!! :-D

So, the issue was... spun rod bearing!

And, here's more info on the issue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/

So, the VIN is: 4S3BL696493211241

The dealrship is Chaplin's Automotive Group in Bellevue, WA. They were extremely apologetic and gave us the option of a quartz silver, the dark metallic one, or order an SWP (the other two are available in the region).

My wife wants SWP again. :)

I don't blame her! :D

I'm not surprised that you got a new car. Jamie Thomas works at Chaplins - I'd imagine that the dealership is well aware that half the world would know about your conundrum, if they DIDN'T fix it.

Congrats man, but jeez what a story!

I don't blame her! :D

I'm not surprised that you got a new car. Jamie Thomas works at Chaplins - I'd imagine that the dealership is well aware that half the world would know about your conundrum, if they DIDN'T fix it.

Congrats man, but jeez what a story!

Thanks! So far I've had no complaints about the way the dealer has handled the situation. I've grown worried about our replacement, though, since it appears this might not be as isolated of an incident as I originally thought. I'm worried that, if the next car's engine came to be using the same processes, this time it might be a long term issue that could pop up outside of the warranty period.

Thanks! So far I've had no complaints about the way the dealer has handled the situation. I've grown worried about our replacement, though, since it appears this might not be as isolated of an incident as I originally thought. I'm worried that, if the next car's engine came to be using the same processes, this time it might be a long term issue that could pop up outside of the warranty period.

I think your concerns are quite valid. Find another alternative that doesn't have a known history of engine failures.

Or, stick with the Subaru and realize that the company, like ALL companies made a mistake, and is fixing it. You did the research, found a brand, model, color, options that YOU like, and just happened to buy a car that was affected by a mistake that SUBARU is making up for and fixing.

Over 70,000 hard fought miles on my July '04 built Legacy GT. The only problem I've had is a screw in the drivers door was slowly backing out and scratching the window when raised or lowered; this was fixed under warranty with no drama.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Over 70,000 hard fought miles on my July '04 built Legacy GT. The only problem I've had is a screw in the drivers door was slowly backing out and scratching the window when raised or lowered; this was fixed under warranty with no drama.

I had that one too. Very annoying sound.:lol:

If you would be happy buying the car knowing it would have no problems - buy it. I don't think SOA will be delivering you a car with the same problem after issuing a "stop sale" as they would have identified the units with the problem. For peace of mind, buy an extended gold warranty or whatever they call it.

If you are second guessing whether it's the car for you, then don't buy it.

We can only tell you our experiences. For me, I bought my 05 LGT for $19K when it had 33K miles on it, put $8K of mods into it and have a 324whp/348wtq beast that looks completely stock except for the tint and wheels. Funnest car I have ever owned hands down.

So far I've yet to hear reassuring statements from other 2009 owners (or late 2008 models, built during the date range of the stop sales/recall).

I do appreciate everyone's point of view, but I think a valid statement would be from someone who's owned one of these specific LGT/LGT.B's for more than 2k miles and still have no symptoms associated with the problem.

By the way, I am currently interacting with another board member who happens to also own a 2009 Spec.B and appears to have similar symptoms. Then there's the other member who posted here at 700 miles his '09 spun a rod bearing as well and had the engine replaced.

You cannot tell me this is isolated. I will not believe that for a single moment. I did before I started getting PM's from others. Now I'm very concerned.

In all honesty, I am beginning to believe that SOA is holding back. There is quite possibly more cars affected than the "range" they mentioned. I also don't believe the issue has to do with non-clean crankshafts from the use of sand paper. At 264 miles, that would not cause rod bearing failure. It would be a long term issue that could pop up after a few thousand miles.

I strongly believe there is a more serious problem at hand. Design issue, or materials used for the bearings. There is also the possibility of oil starvation.

I know that, being Subaru lovers it's easy to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that the next car will be fine. But I need to stop thinking that way. This is a $35k car. My interest is above that of Subaru, same as theirs is above mine (it is, after all, a for-profit corporation).

I will keep everyone posted.

...also wanted to add...

Why on earth would I resort to buying an extended warranty for "peace of mind" if I believe there is a design issue with these motors? That is a ridiculous thing to ask someone to do. If I have my doubts, which so far I am, the end result will likely be to not purchase the car. Why would I give SOA more of my money in case their design flaw affects me again? Sorry, but that is just pure nonsense.

If they offer me an engine-specific extended warranty for my troubles, I'd consider it, but there is NO WAY I am giving them more of my money to cover their own rear-ends.

Archived