LegacyGT.com

07/08 LGT/OB: Subaru Recall WVF-16 Turbo Charger Oil Supply Pipe

AKLGT

This help?

http://svt4u2try.com/tmp/Recall.JPG

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my engine cover off to take pics, so I snapped a couple shots of the oil line on my 07 spec.B and my wife's 05 OBXT. Both have brackets.

Edit: Now that I look at the drawing above, it looks like a different bracket that goes on the lower right side of the engine block. WTF?

571362156_oillineobxt.jpg.1774e995e7c8e06929892f88bad38e70.jpg

187107183_oillinespecB.jpg.89b78bce32850d656035b0ad5c3b36d2.jpg

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

There's an interesting chronology of this problem at http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2008/V/RCDNN-08V460-5843.pdf.

November 10, 2006: FHI received the first field technical report from Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) concerning a bad odor and white smoke emitted from the engine compartment. After investigating the returned oil supply pipe, which was connected to the turbocharger oil pipe, a crack at the stay brazing of the pipe on the cylinder head-side was detected and the cracked surface showed signs of fatigue breakage. Assembly plants were instructed to install the pipe with care.

December 2006: FHI decided to monitor field status because the occurrence seemed to be an isolated case.

July 2007: FHI received another report from SOA concerning a bad odor and white smoke emitted from the engine compartment. FHI reinstituted an investigation and confirmed deformation of the pipe. Assembly plants were re-instructed about employing careful installation procedures.

FHI's investigation found the following:

(a) The design of the oil supply pipe was changed in '07MY Legacy vehicles when a secondary air valve was newly incorporated.

(b) FHI confirmed that stress will be concentrated at the pipe and its investigation raised the possibility that this situation may lead to cracks as a result of resonance vibration. To eliminate that possibility, the design of the pipe was changed by incorporating an additional stiffener in December 2007 in both SIA and FHI production lines.

January 2008: FHI continued its investigation of returned claim parts.

May 13, 2008: FHI started discussing whether a field fix was necessary and exploring a field fix method for affected vehicles.

September 3, 2008: FHI concluded its investigation and determined that this condition relates to motor vehicle safety; accordingly, FHI will conduct a recall campaign.

Ok, just got my car back from the dealer, took it in last saturday for an oil change not knowing about the recall. Service guy told me I was getting a service loaner because of the recall. They did not have the support bracket in stock and they gave me an impreza hatchback (non-turbo) from saturday until thursday. Loaner car was not terrible but was missing my LGT by Monday. It took them until thursday to get my car back. One question, when I went to go put something in my trunk, i discovered the engine cover (black plastic piece with subaru logo) in my truck. Does it not fit on the engine with the support backet?

I called the dealer on Saturday but have not gotten a response. I have had my car for two months and so far my dealer experience has been less than satisfactory. Everytime I call, all I get is voice mail and never receive a call back for any message I leave. I have the 2yr/24k service plan on my car but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good subaru mechanic in the north fort worth, tx area? I love my car but based on my experience so far, I will not continue with the dealer once the free sevice is up.

They probably took it off to do the work and forgot to put it back on. I would definitely be complaining to them about that one.

If they pipe has to be replaced, the intake comes up/off to gain access.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I'm glad they finally owned up to this. I think i had my car for about 5 months before it happened.

I'm going to try and see if i can get the bracket. They replaced the line under warranty (still holds today, knock on wood) but i didn't get the bracket.

Sigh, it seems every Subaru dealer I've been to is completely incompetent with Subaru vehicles. My latest experience was with this recall...

I was in for 7500 service, getting oil changed and tires rotated. First thing I did was tell they guy to MAKE SURE they put synthetic in i because I have already made the switch. The guy looks at me and goes, "What? already you want to use synthetic oil? are you sure..." Uhhh, yes I'm sure, I asked didnt i?

He runs my VIN and tells me about the recall (which I know all about already as I informed him because he was somewhat clueless about it.) I told them to look at it and tell me what the situation with it was. He says no problem and makes a note.

Here is where I really was irked. Great service and all, but at the end of my service I hear the tech going "whats this about a recall? I have no idea what this is. Where is this piece I'm looking for, what is it...." I walked aorund the corner at that point and just told them to stop, the vehicle was fine as it is. C'mon, this is a Subaru tech who doesnt know what the oil supply return line is... Cmon now...

So has anyone actually gotten a letter from the dealership recall them yet?

I got an e-mail. I made an appointment with a "competent" dealership almost 100 miles away. I have a dealership five miles away from me, but they are known for poor service. It's a shame that the quality of service is poor at a large number of Subaru dealerships. :rolleyes:

Guys Listen,

Everyone who's VIN number is covered under the recall is entitled to have a bracket installed on there car regardless if they have already done repairs related to the oil line. For example I've had 3 oil return lines i the span of my ownership of my car. The dealer may try and tell your otherwise or they simply may not about it, but your are definitely required as per the recall to have the bracket put on the car.

As to them not knowing about the recall, I would call SOA and report that. As I understand it, their service manager is required to sign off on those papers that he knows about it and has properly disseminated that information to his service staff as part of being a Subaru service center.

i have brought my car to my local suby dealer twice.once for a key and once for an oil change.both times the service times were outrageous.i got there when they opened and i had an appt.it took them more than 4 hrs for my oil change while i was waiting.the car came back with oily fingerprints and they didnt clean the drip pan underneath.i am a little nervous about bringing the car to any dealership around my area.all i heard was bad things.i was told by subaru about this recall.i just recieved the cobb tbe.good thing i didnt put it on yet.if anybody knows of any good dealers in the ft.lauderdale area please let me know.

Archived