LegacyGT.com

07/08 LGT/OB: Subaru Recall WVF-16 Turbo Charger Oil Supply Pipe

AKLGT

Just made appointment w/ my dealer today, they gave me some crazy excuse. need 4.5hrs to do it. My LGT is my daily driver, so today I have to leave work early and drop the car off. They said it needs time to cool down. but common 4.5hrs estimate??? WTF

Yes, the repair pays them a certain time, but you also have to add cool down time and the fact you are not the only customer they have to service that day, so it may be necessary to leave the vehicle.

that's bullshit. the letter I got said it takes 1/2 an hour to perform.

Read the letter again. It Says it takes 30 minutes to inspect the bracket, and additional 2 1/2 hours to replace the pipe if it is deformed. The next sentence it also talks about possibly leaving the vehicle for the dealer to have flexibility in scheduling. If they have to order the part, you get a rental vehicle.

I can say I have seen it take 3-3.5 hours for this to be done if the pipe has to be replaced. I also only schedule this as a drop off. Now if it is just the bracket, it takes us around 20 minutes.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you like, PM me the last 8 digits of your vin, I will check for you myself.

I just checked your vin and it is clear, no recalls.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Well just got back took them about 2hrs, after I dropped off the car. They just installed the bracket, but made a note in the invoice i had a turbo back

yeah, my dad thought I was nuts when I drove 40 minutes out while my local dealer is 10 minutes away. I was determined to go to a med-friendly dealer.

It doesn't matter if you have mods. The recall will be done regardless unless there is an aftermarket part in place of the factory one that involves the recall.

Well just got back took them about 2hrs, after I dropped off the car. They just installed the bracket, but made a note in the invoice i had a turbo back

What chumps... I'd look for a mod-friendly dealership.

My salesman told me to go right for the AP, Exhaust, And DP. :eek:

He made fun of me because he got his 08 WRX after I got the LGT and he's got more stuff going for power already than me. :lol:

Which dealer did you go to?

I got it done @ Gerald Subaru naperville,

actuattly looking @ the invoice, maybe its not turboback marked on the invoice. it might be "turbocharger pipe" or "turbochback pipe" cant read this crappy hand writing.

I got it done @ Gerald Subaru naperville,

actuattly looking @ the invoice, maybe its not turboback marked on the invoice. it might be "turbocharger pipe" or "turbochback pipe" cant read this crappy hand writing.

Thanks. I'm just taking note of which dealers pay attention to mods.

they didnt say anything bought my AVO intake, which is more obvious than the ehxuast, cuz th first thing they did when i rolled in, was pop the hood, check all my fluids, compared it to their little card thingys. Also checked coolant w/ those bubble meeter thing, and my Battery charge. Im sure they would of noticed my intake before seeing the catless DP.

Model From To

2007MY Legacy Sedan 2.5GT 7*200020 - 7*215147

2007MY Legacy Wagon 2.5GT / Outback Wagon 2.5XT 7*300013 - 7*346075

2008MY Legacy Sedan 2.5GT 8*200004 - 8*222000

2008MY Outback Wagon 2.5GT 8*300006 - 8*351020

2008MY Impreza WRX 4 Door 8*500002 - 8*522433

2008MY Impreza WRX 5 Door 8*800005 - 8*823185

2009MY Forester 2.5XT 9*700001 - 9*700139

Look at the last 6 letters of your VIN

When you guys take your cars in to get that turbo line inspected, if they install the extra bracket and do not replace the line, make sure that if they check the tightness of the existing top pipe clamp (the one nearest to the turbo with the black rubber insert), that they ensure that pipe clamp remaims properly centered around the pipe if they tighten the clamp bolt.

On my car all was perfect before the car went in and I insisted that I watched what they were doing as I was forewarned about the dealer being sloppy. The mechanic put the wrench on the bolt and tightened without holding that clamp steady...Result : the clamp rotated and was now digging into the side of the pipe. As soon as I left the dealership, I loosened that bolt and properly positioned the clamp before tightening the bolt again. Had I not noticed that, the clamp would had worn through the rubber bushing and ruptured the pipe. You just can't find good help anymore. I honestly suggest that all of us who are mechanically inclined pay for the 72 hr subscription and download all the manuals for your car, so you can do the work yourself. That way you know that things are done correctly. After this now being the second very negative experience at the dealer, I will not be taking the car back there ever again. Hopefully it doesn't need any other warranty work. Go check that clamp !!!

When you guys take your cars in to get that turbo line inspected, if they install the extra bracket and do not replace the line, make sure that if they check the tightness of the existing top pipe clamp (the one nearest to the turbo with the black rubber insert), that they ensure that pipe clamp remaims properly centered around the pipe if they tighten the clamp bolt.

Got a picture of what you're talking about? This is a good catch and I want to make sure I'm checking the right thing.

Taking mine in for the recall in about 2.5 hours, I'll be sure to report back as to how it goes. They've done a lot of them (busy dealership) and havent had one that needs replaced yet, they told me cool down in order to check was quick and that they thought they would have me through in under an hour...

So apparently mine needs the pipe replaced, the dealer here says they've done about 120 of them and mine is the first that's needed it :(

Fun thing is they dont have the part since SOA only sends them out as needed and they dont want me driving away in the car. They're giving me another Forester I can drive until they can get the new pipe in and let me have mine back (probably Tuesday).

See picture attached. Hope this helps.

Thanks. That makes it really obvious what I should be looking for. I'll have to take a closer look sometime tonight.

Edit: Just checked mine and it looked fine. That was a pretty sloppy install if yours was so twisted that it would eventually wear through the rubber bushing. It'd be funny if Subaru had to do a recall on the recall.

• 4 months later...
I just got this recall in the mail yesterday. I'm in San Antonio, Texas. I have an '07 Legacy GT with AT. I contacted North Park Subaru and have an 8:30 AM appointment to have them inspect the pipe. The tech that I talked to said that he has only seen one person come in that had a cracked pipe that had to be replaced. He told me at worst, they'll have to install the bracket to reinforce the pipe during driving. Oh well, if something happens after tomorrow, I have an extended warranty and full coverage insurance with USAA in case of a fire! LOL!

Archived