LegacyGT.com

Short Review on Bilstein HDs and Swift Springs Combo

jxjjang

Hey I was hoping you guys would chime in. :) Myles isn't running the Tarmac I? Wow. :)

You guys should definitely do a "regular guy" spring for the Legacy, for chaps like myself that don't race or like a bouncy ride, but don't want their car to handle like a bowl of oatmeal.

As for the Impreza tophats, I'm 99% sure that ALL of them use the same materials, save for the Gp.N ones. I think even the S20x JDM series uses the same OEM hats.

Chris

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we would like to come out with a performance spring designed for Bilstein/Koni/Tokico with a super mild drop (maybe 10mm), no saggy rear end, and good ride quality. The mild drop will make that part doable. We've got a lot of other projects right now though, but if we get enough interest.....;)

- Andrew

I'm using Swifts with Konis now and I find the springs to be just a bit stiffer than I would like. While I love the stance the car has, I definitely wouldn't mind the bit of extra clearance and suspension travel, especially if the ride was a touch more comfortable over rough pavement.

Some "regular guy" springs from RCE would certainly deserve my $$$ and would probably be far less overkill for my needs than the beautiful Tarmac 1's.

Of course, now that I'm so hooked on the look of my car, the T1's might be my only option! :)

these are the parts needed for HD's

20320AG000 $64.05/EA top hat

20326AG000 $3.72/EA dust cap

20323AG000 $13.17/EA seat

20322AG010 $10.67/EA dust boots

apparently you only need the bolded parts, but can get the other parts if you'd like to keep original suspension in tact. the prices here are quoted from the dealership i got my car from (Mastria Subaru in Raynham, MA) and are a bit on the high side. you can find them cheaper online (1stsubaruparts.com) .. most of this info was given to me by subietonic...

^ PM Jeremy at thekingofparts. I'm sure his prices are better.

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-987/Bilstein-Legacy-GT-Suspension/Detail

Nice!! :)

http://www.5-starperformance.com/catalog/bilstein.jpg

5-StarPerformance is a Subaru Dealer.

Call / Email if you find this item for less & we'll meet, or beat the price! If you are thinking about converting your stock Legacy GT to the ever so popular Bilstein Suspension, look no further!

After helping many LGT owners put together this popular Conversion, piece, by piece. 5-StarPerformance has finally put together all of the necessary components to complete the swap, all in one package (less springs).

By purchasing this kit, you will get everything you need to do the conversion (less springs) without even having to break down your old struts!

Not only is this an excellent way to save time, But its always a good idea to use new components when installing new struts.

The heart of this conversion is the struts of course. You will be receiving Bilstein HD Struts in your kit. They provide the perfect balance of performance & comfort that the "spirited" daily driver would expect, as well as the "Sportiness" the weekend racer would need to outperform the competition, without all of the complex nature's & constant ajusting required with Coilover systems. The struts are "Inverted Monotube" Construction. You will definitely be feeling a much firmer & stable overall feel on the pavement, as well as gain much greater handeling capabilities..

The only thing left to do is to, Select your Spring of choice..

This Package Includes:

-FT & RR Bilstein HD Struts.

-Front SPEC-B Strut Tops, Nuts, Dust Seals, Spacers/Washers, & Spring Seats.

-Rear Strut Tops, Nuts, Washers/Spacers, Dust Seals, & Spring Seats

Notes:

We recommend a 4 Wheel alignment after install.

Please allow approx 48hrs for us to process/build the package.

PRICE: $749.00

Our Price: $749.00

I hope to find out how the Bilstein HDs are with Pinks in a few weeks. My Bilsteins are on order from KOP.

Just so you know, you will need spec. B tophats for the Bilsteins to work, and those run about $100 more.

I don't know how much shipping is to Dillsburg, but when I put in my location it was was $521 total for the Bilsteins. Add $100 for the top hats and its $621. There are other miscellaneous bits you need too. You can reuse them from your stock struts...I think like dust boots or something...I don't know exactly.

I bought my set for $745 shipped. It may end up being 80-100 more expensive, but I don't need to know what all the little parts I need to reuse are, I don't need to take apart the stock springs/shocks to reuse things, and I can sit in my living room and assemble the pinks and bilsteins when I want, while watching tv or something :)

Just another option if it suits you...

The extra parts like new bolts are a nice security blanket. I know when Xenonk and I put on my JDM Bilsteins the person that had installed my iON spring on stock struts stripped the threads on the bolt for the one rear shock. The big one at the bottom. We couldn't re-use it. Luckily Xenonk's LGT was having its coilovers rebuilt so we took one off his car.

i am not too impressed with the setup. without using a rear double pad on the spring the car was riding on the rear bumpstops. Now the front is very stiff, any bump over 1.5" resonates thru the whole car. I can't decide if the problem is the coild on the springs binding, or the strut bottoming out. At this point i want to have my front struts sent to bilstein to have the rods shortened up by about 1".

And yes, i can't see any leaks coming from my front struts, so i doubt they are blown.

Swifts are only 10% firmer. I know of one member with a spec b and stock suspension that ran both Pinks and Swifts. He said the difference was hardly noticeable.

My JDM GT REV A/ Swift combo isn't the smoothest in the world, but its not that bad.

I'm sure they can. Like Pinks, the Swift wagon versions will likely have a slightly longer rear spring to make up for the extra weight of the wagon. Having the sedan versions and judging from my rear drop a little higher wouldn't bother me.

for $750 you can get some really low mileage JDM struts and pinks, assembled. Bilstein HD is not a very aggressive strut so if thats what you're looking for it's perfect. It's basically a heavy duty stock replacement.

Yeah I would still consider like a JDM spec.B Rev.C or something. But... I don't want anything too stiff really, I think the HD would be very nice for me.

I hope to find out how the Bilstein HDs are with Pinks in a few weeks. My Bilsteins are on order from KOP.

Just so you know, you will need spec. B tophats for the Bilsteins to work, and those run about $100 more.

I don't know how much shipping is to Dillsburg, but when I put in my location it was was $521 total for the Bilsteins. Add $100 for the top hats and its $621. There are other miscellaneous bits you need too. You can reuse them from your stock struts...I think like dust boots or something...I don't know exactly.

I bought my set for $745 shipped. It may end up being 80-100 more expensive, but I don't need to know what all the little parts I need to reuse are, I don't need to take apart the stock springs/shocks to reuse things, and I can sit in my living room and assemble the pinks and bilsteins when I want, while watching tv or something :)

Just another option if it suits you...

Thanks! Regarding springs, I'll probably wait until RCE gets a Regular Guy spring underway. Pretty perfect for me. My RS was pretty stiff, and I'm not looking for that kind of ride with the new car.

Archived