LegacyGT.com

Short Review on Bilstein HDs and Swift Springs Combo

jxjjang

all i have to say is, WOW

the drop was mild, and i was expecting it to ride much harsher, but i actually didn't notice any HUGE differences until i started turning at higher speeds. it corners MUCH flatter and i'm actually concerned that my 40K crapE-92's wont be able to handle the corner speed.

i usually take this one on-ramp at 35 mph, which is considerably fast considering the sharp turn, but with the bilsteinHD/swift setup, i looked at my speedo and i was going 45 mph COMFORTABLY :eek: and i think i could've gone faster.

ride quality is still nice, i thought it was gonna be harsh but since the HDs dampen more quickly, its still very comfortable.

the drop is very tasteful on stock wheels, doesnt have the slammed look but closes the wheel gap a bit.

http://xc2.xanga.com/edcc942a36333208471166/m162342848.jpg

http://x51.xanga.com/676c7136c6431208471504/m162343123.jpg

http://xbc.xanga.com/f21c912ac4d33208471627/m162343227.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i actually got the HDs brand new off of a member here who decided not to install them, specB tophats and all. swift springs were bought from an online vendor (not on site here, i saved about $75)

yeah it looks great so far and i'm hoping the front will actually settle in a little more, but i'm trying to figure out which wheels to go with too. anyone running this combo with wheels? what size wheels and tires are you using?

I was originally gonna go Bilsteins with Pinks, but wanted more of a drop. It looks like this is the setup I will end up with. Keep us updated. I'm curious to hear your opinion after a few weeks of driving.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

actually i took a trip to uconn-storrs last night through some back roads and i drove over one of those metal platforms on a bridge and it sounded a lot worse than if i were on stock suspension. but i havent gone on any REAL bad roads yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the bump, but I'm doing some pre-purchase window shopping for suspension, and am very interested in the Bilstein HDs I just saw on TireRack.

I'm selling my '00 RS tomorrow :( for an '05 GT Ltd. :) (Ahh the duality!) I've got an STi Ver.5 matched strut/spring set on my car, which rides pretty well... but isn't spectacular. I'm the kind of person who likes a sporty daily driver, not something harsh. The RS is more harsh than I care for, now that I'm 32 and don't have time/money for a weekend project car.

So. I'm sure several people fit that bill, and the HDs seem like a nice option. RCE Tarmac I coilovers have a great reputation (and RCE is fantastic). The suspension FAQ threads here have a lot of info on the JDM spec.B struts, etc. etc. But for a guy like me, who may auto-X twice a year if I'm lucky... I'm not sure that it's worth it.

The real choice may be springs. Swift is the people's favorite, it seems, though some say the STi Pinks are a bit less stiff? If more expensive....

Thanks. :)

Sorry about the bump, but I'm doing some pre-purchase window shopping for suspension, and am very interested in the Bilstein HDs I just saw on TireRack.

I'm selling my '00 RS tomorrow :( for an '05 GT Ltd. :) (Ahh the duality!) I've got an STi Ver.5 matched strut/spring set on my car, which rides pretty well... but isn't spectacular. I'm the kind of person who likes a sporty daily driver, not something harsh. The RS is more harsh than I care for, now that I'm 32 and don't have time/money for a weekend project car.

So. I'm sure several people fit that bill, and the HDs seem like a nice option. RCE Tarmac I coilovers have a great reputation (and RCE is fantastic). The suspension FAQ threads here have a lot of info on the JDM spec.B struts, etc. etc. But for a guy like me, who may auto-X twice a year if I'm lucky... I'm not sure that it's worth it.

The real choice may be springs. Swift is the people's favorite, it seems, though some say the STi Pinks are a bit less stiff? If more expensive....

Thanks. :)

Theirs been a few sets of pinks up for sale lately. You can't go wrong with them either...a good option. Swifts are 10% firmer than pinks and drop the front a little more. I can say that sometimes I am curious what pinks would be like vs. my swifts. But from what I've heard from other members that have tried both the difference is minimal. Remember if you buy HD's you'll need Spec B/JDM front tophats.

Thanks for the tip! I'm still new to the multilink suspension thing, but I assume there's no such thing as a rear tophat, for this car? :)

And is that a strictly JDM spec.B tophat? USDM won't work? (If the USDM spec.B tophat is the same as the standard GT one, then obviously not...)

Cool, yeah I'm critical too. My STi suspension isn't awful, but bounces/jounces a whole lot. Though some good recent Impreza research by AcquaCow has good tech info on bumpstops being too long.

This may or may not carry over to the Legacy, though. Probably not.

http://www.rallitek.com/raspforlegt.html

^^ Just found the RalliTEK springs, currently on sale too for $210. The ride height looks pretty good to me, if this GT wagon review thread is any indication. They look a little shorter than stock, a little taller than Swift. Which would be good for me, being a "mild old guy." :lol:

Archived