LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think 60K is too infrequent. I like 30K. Note factory maintenance

schedule recommendation for "severe conditions" (at least for '06) is 15K.

60k should be fine. According to the maintenance schedule I took with me on vacation, there is NO WHERE, where it says to ever replace the transmission oil or diff fluids, even under severe conditions. It only says to periodically Inspect, but not replace. The only place where it says to do so is if you are repeatedly towing a trailer.

This is why it is puzzling to me why dealers push for a fluid replacement at 30, 60, 90, etc...it is just a money making scheme to me.

That being said, I did make the switch to Redline at 30k because I wanted the enhanced performance at low temperatures...I don't know yet if I will replace it again at 60k...I may just because I am down there, but no other reason than that.

You don't have to replace the tranny and dif fluids ever in this car...at least according to the maintenance schedule.

You killed my father, prepare to die!!!

60k should be fine. According to the maintenance schedule I took with me on vacation, there is NO WHERE, where it says to ever replace the transmission oil or diff fluids, even under severe conditions. It only says to periodically Inspect, but not replace. The only place where it says to do so is if you are repeatedly towing a trailer.

This is why it is puzzling to me why dealers push for a fluid replacement at 30, 60, 90, etc...it is just a money making scheme to me.

That being said, I did make the switch to Redline at 30k because I wanted the enhanced performance at low temperatures...I don't know yet if I will replace it again at 60k...I may just because I am down there, but no other reason than that.

You don't have to replace the tranny and dif fluids ever in this car...at least according to the maintenance schedule.

You killed my father, prepare to die!!!

That's what confused me. Mine is a DD and doesn't see too much hard driving, but maybe I'll replace mine in the near future for fun.

A question, as I am torn between changing and not changing mine.

Had the diff fluids drained at 34k miles March of 07 and I am now coming up on 60k miles. Fluids look nice and clean. Do I ride this fill in this upcoming winter, or do I change. My guess is I should be OK to ride them until come April and then change them.

Inquiring minds want to know. 5EAT btw.

I guess my maintenance schedule is different (it's for 2006). It has

"inspect" every 30Kmile, but then footnote #3 says for "frequently

operated under severe conditions" REPLACE every 15K miles. I'm

splitting the difference (kinda) at 30Kmile replacement. I verified

the online schedules are the same (and it's the same for your '05).

Also see my friend's comments in message #16.

Not to get into a pissing contest about how often to change gear oil.

Obviously it's everyone's personal decision, and clearly you're ok

warranty-wise without ever doing it.

Can you quantify "smoother"? No more problems going into reverse, feels better going into gear? less resistance when going into gear?

Trying to get an idea of whether I should pay Subaru to switch to Extra-S, or should do it myself with Redline.

Joe

Can you quantify "smoother"? No more problems going into reverse, feels better going into gear? less resistance when going into gear?

Trying to get an idea of whether I should pay Subaru to switch to Extra-S, or should do it myself with Redline.

Slightly less resistance going into gear. It wasn't that bad to begin with though. Reverse was never a problem and I didn't notice any significant change with reverse.

The T70 .. it's a half-inch drive, right?

What about a torque wrench, is it a big deal if you don't screw those suckers in as it says in the manual?

Later edit: I looked on My.Subaru.com at the maintenance schedule and also the online owner's manual and I wasn't able to find the schedule for the differential fluid changes. All it says is "inspect" but offers no mileage. Does anyone have different information? I've heard 15k miles under severe conditions, but what does severe actually entail? I've got about 24K on this change and am debating if I should go through the hassle of changing it now or pull it through a second winter.

Later later edit: found it, in the maintenance schedule under "See note 3". Duh. Mine looked clean as of not long ago though.

man that stuff smelled awful. i did it inside a garage because it was raining. wow. overall im happy with the redline fluid but not blown away. I guess the real difference is noticed when its cold out compared to stock. Overall a good change and relatively inexpensive compared to getting it done at the dealer. Great write up!!

FYI, a dealership just quoted me $70 for a trans fluid change and $70 for a rear-diff fluid change, not including fluid in either. I'm not kidding...$140 to do this.

I'm going to pick up Extra-S in quarts now that it's available, a T-70 Bit off Amazon (anything else on our car a torx bit? I could get a whole kit for $35), find a 1/2 drive extension, and I'll do it myself in about an hour for about $80 total at the most.

My main problem is, I only have 1 jack and 2 stand jacks...I'm thinking as long as I jack up the front of the car (diff tilts rearwards) I'll be ok to overfill the rear diff SLIGHTLY from not being completely even. And the trans will benefit as it will drain better with the front of the car being higher....

That's what I'm thinking :)

Joe

Joe,

Nothing else on our car uses the T-70 Bit.

Don't worry about the 1 jack and 2 stand jacks...

I jacked the rear up ...so the rear was at a slight angle, so yes, maybe it was overfilled a bit. But then I left the filler nut open, lowered the car and let whatever extra dribble out. Lifted the car back up put the nut in and tightened it.

Even if you don't do that...whatever, the car isn't up at such a great incline to damage anything with a tiny bit more fluid.

So which one of these 3 Torx do I really need? The $5 or the $60 one lol

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_auto/103-4907656-3275062?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=T70+torx]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_auto/103-4907656-3275062?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=T70+torx[/ame]

The Subie instructions also include torque specs, is that really a concern or can you just hand-tighten the plugs until they feel tight?

Later edit: so the expensive part isn't the Torx bit but the 13mm diff square socket?

http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx

Hot damn, that's quite expensive!

Oil Drain Plug: 33 ft-lb

Transmission Drain Plug (T70): 50.6 ft-lb

Now the Rear Diff is different depending on what car you have. (This info comes from the 2005 service manual as well, keep in mind)

Legacy 2.5 L Non-Turbo

MT has the T-type Diff: 36.2 ft-lb (both Drain and Filler Plugs)

AT has the VA1-type Diff: 25.3 ft-lb (both Drain and Filler Plugs)

Legacy 2.5 L Turbo

MT has the T-type Diff: 36.2 ft-lb (both Drain and Filler Plugs)

AT has the VA2-type Diff: 21.4 ft-lb (both Drain and Filler Plugs)

Outback 2.5 L Non-Turbo, and MT 2.5 L Turbo

has the T-type Diff: 36.2 ft-lb (both Drain and Filler Plugs)

AT 2.5 L Turbo

has the VA2-type Diff: 21.4 ft-lb (both Drain and Filler Plugs)

The 5EAT still uses the T70 bit for the front diff drain plug even though it does not share the diff fluid with the transmission? What about the actual 5EAT drain plug?

LE: nevermind, looks like that's a positive, T70 for both the diff and tranny. Now I just gotta make sure I drain the right one, lol.

Archived