LegacyGT.com

AccessTUNER Race, here she comes!

LittleBlueGT

Well I answered my own question I think today. I was able to get ecuexplorer working with my car today :) using the cobb v2 dongle.

Bad news is I need to figure out why I have a miss at idle that is not being flagged in the computer. I know you can do this in romraider via rough idle cylinder x. But I dont see anything like this in ecuexplorer.

I guess my next best thing to do is uninstall my TDC map, Uninstall my AEM CAI, flash to a cobb OTS map and then log via StreetTunerRACE. It seems to have a misfire section.

If anyone has another way to do this let me know.

I wonder if romraider software will ever work with the V2 dongle? Boy that would be sweet!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Infamous

first off you are a great asset to this site and I thank you for all the info you provide.

Secondly how well does ecuexplorer compare to romraider? Is is pretty similar?

Getting ready to begin with all this stuff and doing much research to get all my ducks in a row before I begin.

EcuExplorer is fine for logging the basic parameters to verify all is well with a tune. It is exactly the same as RomRaider in that regard. Once you start your own tuning RomRaider has far more parameters to work with in problem areas or special diagnosing of your tune.

Now you see why I was a little upset?

That sucks donkey testicles. They definitely should separate the logging capability from the tuning one and open up logging. Otherwise they really have only solved half the problem, people will still go out there for open-source logging capabilities and once they've tried it, it is a very very small step to open-source tuning.

^could not agree more. I do not want to have to buy another cable to log and I shouldn't have to use other software. If you want to protect us from changing someone elses maps fine but at least let us log so we can see what is going on. You pay 600-700 for a device that you only use to load maps and monitor a few things. You are right opensource is going to look better and better. Why not allow the AP to log? That could be a possibility and then you don't even need the laptop unless you are tuning :)

I don't know about the AP being able to log, it would be nice. It might be a feature for Version 3 but as it stands I don't think the AP v2 has the memory and technical set-up for that kind of thing. It only has an EPROM from what it seems and no flash memory.

I think it actually does have some flash memory on what Cobb calls the medallion board.

It has a board with a microprocessor in it, the LCD, and the medallion board.

Unfortunately I had to have my processor board replaced. It wouldnt boot up half the time and I sent it to Cobb. They were great to work with getting it fixed, as it was so intermittant it went from them to me at least 2-4 times.

They sure do keep updating the software and adding features like max values on whatever is being logged or displayed.

We shall see what they come up with next for it.

It definitely has rewritable memory in it since you can reflash the firmware, but I am inclined to think it's EPROM-type [kinda like your computer BIOS] rather than flash. EPROM however "goes bad" sooner and easier than flash when you constantly overwrite it so maybe they did make the memory flash just to cover their bases. If it's flash, then I imagine it would be fairly easier to write the firmware to generate a log file in a separate partition of sort that would show up as a removable drive under your operating system.

Well I downloaded romraider from www.romraider.com

Purchased this cable http://www.autonostics.com/product.php?productid=2&cat=0&page=1&featured

and logged roughness cylinder 1-4 and found the problem in cylinder number 4.

Now just need to replace the injector, plug, or coilpack to solve the problem.

The cheapy cable worked great!

I think it actually does have some flash memory on what Cobb calls the medallion board.

It has a board with a microprocessor in it, the LCD, and the medallion board.

Unfortunately I had to have my processor board replaced. It wouldnt boot up half the time and I sent it to Cobb. They were great to work with getting it fixed, as it was so intermittant it went from them to me at least 2-4 times.

They sure do keep updating the software and adding features like max values on whatever is being logged or displayed.

We shall see what they come up with next for it.

Talked to Cobb and more good things coming in the not so distant future for the VER 2 AP.

Not at liberty to say as I was told to keep it under my hat, but rest assured more things coming for the AP.

:spin:

gragnauman: Does the VAG cable that you purchased allow logging only, or can it also be used for programming the ECU? Did it work with ROMRaider right out of the box?

It will log only, reason is it has it own drivers available. It won't flash because it is not compatable with ECU flash.

It will log only, reason is it has it own drivers available. It won't flash because it is not compatable with ECU flash.

Actually, I did use it with ECUflash and it worked fine on the first try. Please refer to the following thread starting at post #57:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85536

Let's kick this pig!

Yup, worked first try on my 05LGT 5MT (don't know about the CAN based cars though). I was in the process of switching from TDC maps to StreetTuner-Advanced and wanted to pull the image off so I could use it as a reference. I used it to scale/extend my load ranges. ECUflash pulled the Basemap, but not the Realtime data. This shouldn't be an issue with OpenSource or stock images since they don't have working "RealTime" designated tables/areas(yet).

Anytime someone tells me "it can't be done"; it becomes my sole purpose to prove them wrong:lol:.

Let's kick this pig!

I believe the issue is in the default BAUD rate that the autonostics cable is set to. We had to change Fishbone's setting to get his to work with RR.

If you go in device manager in Windows and find the cable, go to it's properties and find the settings tab; you will see several values that can be changed. If the BAUD rate is set to 9600; change it to 4800 and see what happens. Fishbone's went from totally flakey to rock solid with that one adjustment.

Let's kick this pig!

Will it work with EcuExplorer ?

Not sure about this phil but the version 2 AP cable will work with ECUEXplorer. Follow these instructions:

Post #37

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36743&page=4

You also need the driver for the dongle and the EcuExplorer version in post 1 on the cobb website. If you have EcuExplorer already installed just copy the files in the cobb zip file into your EcuExplorer directory and make sure the dongle drive is in there as well and it should work. What you will find is after copying the files it will be a different version something like 1.28 instead of 1.25 The .28 version is cobbs hacked version.

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36743

I will say though that EcuExplorer doesnt hold a candle to romraider.

I got it working first then went over to qikslvr's house and we were able to get the vagcom cable working in a snap with romraider.

Next I am going to try to pull an image of my TDC map as well like qikslvr did. Then load a ATR map and start tuning it to get away from TDC since they are no longer. Then I can log via version 2 cable and ATR or log via the vagcom cable with romraider.

Archived