LegacyGT.com

Dear Diary....

NSFW

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Car is coming apart Wednesday, and an Exedy Twin is going in.

New 6MT arrives Thursday... hopefully I get to drive it home that night.

Anybody wanna buy a healthy 5MT? Bone stock, ready to rock, proven to handle 25psi from an ATP 3076!

Car is coming apart Wednesday, and an Exedy Twin is going in.

New 6MT arrives Thursday... hopefully I get to drive it home that night.

Anybody wanna buy a healthy 5MT? Bone stock, ready to rock, proven to handle 25psi from an ATP 3076!

Now that's what I am talking about! Can't wait till it's done but I think I need to go for a ride again I don't think I got the full experience with a slipping clutch! We need to have a NSFW ride a long meat!

We got everything done today that I was hoping for... 5MT, shift linkage, rear diff, axles, and clutch all came out. New clutch, rear diff, and rear axles are installed. I expect to be driving it tomorrow night.

I took a few pics, will take a few more tomorrow, and will post them this weekend.

Uber! I got your txt about last weekend, after the weekend. But I wasn't able to get out for a ride anyway.

This weekend if I get any free time I'm just going work on the new trail next to the DWB line. I don't want to get hurt the week before the ChumpCar race, so I'm going to play with shovels instead of bikes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There was open drag racing at Portland International Raceway on the night before the ChumpCar race this weekend, so I went drag racing for the first time ever since getting the ATP 3076 and the Exedy Twin clutch.

I still don't have DCCD hooked up, and I get a fair amount of rear wheel spin off the line. That's is not good for times, but it probably makes launching a bit less abusive for the whole drivetrain, so I wasn't complaining.

It took several passes to figure out how to get a half-decent launch, and how to shift without losing all boost, but I made some good progress. While it was a little embarrassing at times, it was also really fun.

Unfortunately the timing system was very flaky so most of my slips have 0.000 in most of the fields. And I was racing against guys in crazy fast cars (8ish times, and/or 200ish traps) who were letting off early, and I had a tendency to let up early as well, at least until I realized what they were doing. So between flaky sensors and lifting early, most of my slips are worthless.

Far as I can tell, my best run was probably 13.5 @ 110. The car should be good for 12.X, and maybe 115mph, so I have a lot more to learn.

I don't think my ROM has any, actually. Merchgod found some per-gear tables in later ROMs, and there are some tables I want to explore in my own ROM but I don't think they're gear-related.

There is a table that looks at wheel speed and crank speed to calculate a gear position, but as far as I know it's only used for data logging convenience. I do want to look into it further though. I'll change that table at some point just for that convenience, but I haven't bothered yet. It will still read 5 when I'm in 6th though. :)

There's a "first gear" boost compensation, but I'm using an MBC so it's not doing anything. I kinda like the idea of limiting boost in first to minimize wheelspin, but that's just me being geeky... I'm not sure if I'll actually need it anyway... I have to get DCCD wired up first. Right now I get a lot of wheelspin, but I'm sure I'll have less with DCCD working.

But hopefully they won't stay lit quite as long. We'll see.

Anyway, I did some logging just for fun tonight, starting pulls in each gear at about 2500 RPM, so I'll have a baseline to compare against when I switch from the MBC to an EBCS:

Post223A.thumb.png.fbe11fb0cda57f9b19d0732f32badb1f.png

But hopefully they won't stay lit quite as long. We'll see.

Anyway, I did some logging just for fun tonight, starting pulls in each gear at about 2500 RPM, so I'll have a baseline to compare against when I switch from the MBC to an EBCS:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Tuning/BoostOverRpm6MT.png

You are having things the same way I did, not rock solid boost with a MBC. I am very sure you can get better with an EBCS.

FWIW I like to spool fast up to within 3 psi of target, after that I prefer things to taper off a bit, makes the car easier to drive on a road-course IMO.

Nice boost threshold, I imagine it was pretty cool out, what temps?

Archived