LegacyGT.com

Dear Diary....

NSFW

Long time no post!

My stock motor started consuming tons of oil about a year ago. I parked it and thought real hard about rebuilding it myself... finally admitted last month that I ain't really up for that challenge. It's going in next week.

But in the meantime I saved enough money for a pretty nice motor, it'll be good to 8500 RPM. (Which means I need a bigger turbo right? That'll have to wait though.)

It's also going to be dual-AVCS so I will need to make a standalone AVCS controller for the exhaust cams. Mostly just because I'm a nerd (it'll be fun) but I'm hoping to spool a little faster too.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Long time no post!

... finally admitted last month that I ain't really up for that challenge. It's going in next week. .................

Did the realization come about because we got the Pony engine fired up before yours??? :lol::hide::lol:

I have enough drama for now.....

O M G.

Never new this thread existed. thank god i clicked to find out what it was about!

going to need to do more research on this stock O2 sensor thing i read on the first page. thread?

and hate to think of what i missed skipping straight from the second page to the 21st...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

O M G.

Never new this thread existed. thank god i clicked to find out what it was about!

going to need to do more research on this stock O2 sensor thing i read on the first page. thread?

and hate to think of what i missed skipping straight from the second page to the 21st...

When you have a free hour, its worth the read...

The only issue with moving the stock O2 to the downpipe is that it is only accurate to about 11.2 and it won't read any lower than that. Otherwise it's all good.

It reads pretty close to my PLX wideband though. It's kind of tempting to try to tune a car with an 11.3-ish AFR using the stock sensor alone, but I haven't actually tried that.

Free hour?

What's that?

that's what you call it when you're sitting at your desk during work and are pouring over the forum for more info on what you can spend the last few dollars in your pocket on, or what you REALLY should be lusting after (aftermarket rails, 08+ STI manifold/TMIC, Specb 6mt...).

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Was this you that I cruised with on i405 back in December?

Who is the 'you' you're asking about? If it's NSFW, probably not. His wagon hasn't run in quite a while (about a year).

BTW, what is with those finger prints on your dash??? Very unsightly!!!

I have enough drama for now.....

Who is the 'you' you're asking about? If it's NSFW, probably not. His wagon hasn't run in quite a while (about a year).

BTW, what is with those finger prints on your dash??? Very unsightly!!!

Ahhh I didn't take the time to read all the way through this yet. Just the first post.

The fingerprints have been cleaned now. They only showed up when it was raining and humid out so I never noticed them in CA

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 1 year later...
I just realized it's been almost a year since I last posted. The car is on the road again, and I'm about 700 miles away from switching from break-in oil to ordinary oil, and I expect to start turning up the boost when I make that switch. (I've just been running wastegate boost for the last 1300 miles.)

I replaced the pillar-mounted gauge pod with one of the 3d-printed pods designed by streetlegal and sold by freaksavior.

I'm using electronic gauges from PLX, and they have big connectors on the cables - way bigger than the molded-in wire passage. So I attacked the back of pod with a Dremel, made a hole big enough for the connector to pass out the back, and cut into the existing passage so that I could tuck the wires in. I was a little worried when I realized that the connectors were never going to fit through the little hole, but it doesn't affect the airflow and it is invisible after installation.

I have AFR working on the right gauge and am working on getting oil temperature set up on the left gauge. I'm really happy with how this is turning out.

This is the unpolished black powder print:

PlxConnectorVsPassage.thumb.JPG.f63b398c558b97d0c585f878a96d777a.JPG

GaugePodCarving.thumb.jpg.0295f745f329bbac51b2e1a5931d747d.jpg

GaugePodInstalled.thumb.JPG.842729dd7b1105abbeb919f242e7573a.JPG

When I had the pillar-mounted gauges, one of the gauge pods held a little control panel with a DCCD strength knob and mode switch, and a switch to put the ECU into reflashing mode.

The reflash switch got moved down next to the rear-view-mirror joystick. The DCCD controls might end up down there as well - I removed the blank panel that used to be there and I'm still not sure what I'm going to put there instead.

There's more info about the RVM switch fitting here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replaced-blank-off-recessed-switch-plate-and-miniature-rocker-switch-195360.html

SwitchInstalled.PNG.3874b32c37d79a3433037d17122588ac.PNG

And I'm working on an Arduino-based controller for my new exhaust AVCS cams, as noted in this long-neglected thread:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11237

Yesterday I wired an AVCS solenoid up to an Arduino, which is (hopefully) the last hardware challenge... the interesting work from this point forward should all be in the software area. That's progress - I'm a lot more comfortable working in software than in hardware, and this project (in addition to break-in mileage) is a prerequisite for tuning my new motor.

ArduinoAvcs.thumb.jpg.71d08297e8e196d4dd85d662d2664bc7.jpg

Also replaced my CarPC laptop with something newer and faster, and replaced the touch screen with one that has higher resolution, and capacitive touch rather than resistive. Capacitive touch is what all modern smartphones use; resistive pretty requires you to use your fingernail.

No pictures because it all looks the same as before, but if anyone else is interested in the screen, here's a link:

https://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280#!/7-open-frame-universal-HDMI-LCD-with-capacitive-multi-touch/p/21750207/category=3094861

• 1 month later...

Archived