LegacyGT.com

Best performance oriented winter tire?

VTGT

What is the best performance oriented winter tire?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best performance oriented winter tire?

• Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
    • Dunlop Winter Sport M3
    • Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
    • Hankook W300 Icebears
    • Other- See post

i voted for the dunlop M3 wintersports as these are the only tires on th epoll i have driven with. last winter wasn't too badhere in new york but none the less the dunlops did their job. i was running them on my 2007 chevy cobalt SS (FWD). with about 2 inches of snow on the floor i tested out the dunlops and i was very impressed with the results. intentionally trying to spin the tires was nearly impossible. the M3's gripped to snow better than the stock pirelli Pzero's stuck to asphalt. then i drove across an ice patch to check for loss of traction. the tires did slip for a millisecond but they grabbed traction so fast it almost wasn't noticable.

Overall i would say the dunlops held up to conditions beyond my expectations. i would definitly buy them again. as a matter of fact i've been thinking about buying a set to put on my stockers since i have a set of wheels/tires for the summer. i still have the dunlops i had on my chevy but since they are 16"s i dont think they are any good to me now with the LGT. hope i helped.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a set of Dunlop M3's in 215/45/17. For me, they worked great in all weather conditions! Especially while I'd drive like a maniac on weekend nights delivering pizzas!! :)

And I get the best tips when the weather is anywhere near a blizzard 'cause nobody wants to go out and they're appreciative that I can and do.

I was going to try the Hankooks next, but will go with the Dunlop 3D's in 225/45/17 or 205/50/17.

I ran Hankook Icebears last winter here in Colorado, and was extremely pleased. They perform very well in snow/slush and also are more than adequate on dry pavement. I think they are a great value for the money, and one of the few tires I could find that would fit on an 18" wheel.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

I had a set of Dunlop M3's in 215/45/17. For me, they worked great in all weather conditions! Especially while I'd drive like a maniac on weekend nights delivering pizzas!! :)

And I get the best tips when the weather is anywhere near a blizzard 'cause nobody wants to go out and they're appreciative that I can and do.

I was going to try the Hankooks next, but will go with the Dunlop 3D's in 225/45/17 or 205/50/17.

What would the advantage be in using a 215/45/17 over a 225/45/17 for a winter tire?

I have usually heard Narrow is better for the snow, so I am curious why you might use the 225 over the 215 for your next tire

Guest LGT-NY
I've had four sets of the Dunlop Winter Sports... I LOVE them. They are the best tire I have ever owned, Winter OR Summer.

What would the advantage be in using a 215/45/17 over a 225/45/17 for a winter tire?

I have usually heard Narrow is better for the snow, so I am curious why you might use the 225 over the 215 for your next tire

Not NYtoVT, but I'll take a shot at this one, as this was among my own purchase factor. :)

Yes, a narrower tire will "cut through" better, and definitely, the benefits of being narrower can be felt on-road and in real-world circumstances. It's not academic. :)

However, between a 215 and a 225, the difference is small - and may not even be all that noticeable except in the most extreme situations.... between, say, a 205 and 225, though, that'll be easily felt. My wifey's WRX, for example, on its factory 205-width RE92s, felt more stable and more capable than my Legacy, on 225-width Falken ZIEX ZE-512s (although not the best choice for wintry capabilities, it is, notably, still perceived by many to be at least acceptable, if not outright competent, tires for NE-Ohio's general-winter use, as long as some care is exercised), in the white and slippery stuff.

The rule is typically that if you can go narrower, for this specific application, to do so.

The problem and consideration, for me, was two-fold:

First, I also wanted the tires to perform well in terms of dry-weather, and in this instance, more rubber is better.

Second, it was a simple matter of fitment availability. I would have gone narrower, except, at the time of my purchase, the 225 fitment was all that was available. :redface: And to be quite honest, that was my *only* consideration at the time of purchase.

With my rims, I likely would not have gone with the 205 fitment. But definitely, had 215s been available, I'd have done so.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah I think I might opt for the 225 also because I want decent dry grip too.

It doesn't snow a whole lot in blacksburg but it can be under 50 degrees for quite a few months. So I really just need something that can give me good dry grip during cold weather and conquer the occasional snow storm (4-6 inches)

From reading everyones comments I think the Dunlops or Icebears will far exceed my expectations.

One more thing that might sway my decision is the treadwear for the tires.

Edit: I added this to the first post; Please comment on the "said tires" thread wear

I sadly have had enough miles logged on the Dunlops, and have not had personal experience, whatsoever, with the Hankooks, to truly be able to contribute. :redface:

--

Performance-wise:

With the Dunlops, I can personally confirm that dry grip (and wet grip, for that matter) under such cold(er)-weather conditions will be just what you'd call for. They are actually very much the equal of good "high-performance all-seasons" (these assessed in mild weather), with perhaps only slighly more wiggle under more demanding maneuvers.

The Hankooks, even though I haven't had personal experiences, from all that's posted here and on my local Subaru enthusiast Forum, should offer the same.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I have used up 2/32nds of the 11 that are on a new Wintersport M3 (215/45-17 here). That has been over the course of two, 6-month seasons. Even if I chuck them at 5-6/32nds, I will have gotten every penny's worth from them.

The FL tire even held up after a 65mph sideswipe of a jersey barrier! The wheel needs a paintjob and balance though... :(

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7336/img2621ku1.jpg

However, between a 215 and a 225, the difference is small - and may not even be all that noticeable except in the most extreme situations.... between, say, a 205 and 225, though, that'll be easily felt. My wifey's WRX, for example, on its factory 205-width RE92s, felt more stable and more capable than my Legacy, on 225-width Falken ZIEX ZE-512s (although not the best choice for wintry capabilities, it is, notably, still perceived by many to be at least acceptable, if not outright competent, tires for NE-Ohio's general-winter use, as long as some care is exercised), in the white and slippery stuff.

Along the same lines, how about a 235/45/17 as a snow tire? I found some hankooks at a good price in this size.

Would that diminish too much of the snow capabilities that I am looking for, or would it still be a good compromise between dry handling and cold weather handling?

^ I think so - that it would diminish too much the winter-weather capabilities of the tires.

At 225/45/17, with a 7.5 inch wide rim, I'm getting decent performance, with a good eye to keeping proper pressures - only fully-salt-loaded, winter-tire-shod heavy-duty 4x4 pickups that are used as snowplows can even keep up with me when there's hardpack or fresh powder out. :) But when the weather truly got bad - the couple of times in true blizzard conditions this past winter - I did find myself wishing for the ability to find 205s or 215s, for just that little bit more safety margin.

What I'm afraid of, if you stepped up to 235s, is that although you'll likely do very well for more than 75% of your winter needs, that when you do go up to the mountains or when that snowstorm/ice-storm really does hit, you'll regret not having 205s or 215s, whereas with the 225s, that "regret" more than likely won't happen.

Besides, without at least an 8" wide rim to support the 235s, I'm not sure that you wouldn't somehow magnify the "squirmy" feel that I'm already getting with the 225s on a 7.5 width rim....what's your winter rim combo going to be like?

----

Underdog - Holy wow! :eek:

Looks like, bro, that my set is likely to suffer from dry-rot, before they wear out! Indeed, I'd be more than happy with 4 seasons, and that's a heck of a testament as to the tire's strength!

Yeah I think 225/45/17 are the right size for me. Its great to have a capable snow tire when going to the ski resorts :)

Blizzards are a rarity in Va. 6 inches would be a lot and I think any of the tires I listed would be up to the task while still being fun to drive on dry roads :)

I have not heard many people mention the Nokian WR in this thread. I have heard they are very good also.

Not NYtoVT, but I'll take a shot at this one, as this was among my own purchase factor...

The problem and consideration, for me, was two-fold:

First, I also wanted the tires to perform well in terms of dry-weather, and in this instance, more rubber is better.

Second, it was a simple matter of fitment availability. I would have gone narrower, except, at the time of my purchase, the 225 fitment was all that was available. :redface: And to be quite honest, that was my *only* consideration at the time of purchase.

With my rims, I likely would not have gone with the 205 fitment. But definitely, had 215s been available, I'd have done so.

VTGT, this is mostly my reasoning too. also...

1. after running a snow tire down to 3/32 or 2/32, I'd continue run it thru the spring, summer and fall like an all season until fully worn out. :)

2. since I tend to change wheels often and depending on my wheels' width, 225 would be a sure fit, vs the 205 (say, on a 7.5 or 8.0 width).

I have not heard many people mention the Nokian WR in this thread. I have heard they are very good also.

The WRs were one of the choices I offered up for your consideration - and indeed, their good press is definitely why I did so. :)

Here in NE-Ohio, they're yet another favorite of many of our local Subaru enthusiasts. Similarly, if you did a past-posts search here, you'll also see more than a handful of fellow LGT drivers who give them high marks. True all-season capability with the ability to retain good treadwear run "all-season," and also a very capable "city/plowed-streets" winter tire, if you intend to use it as such.

IIRC, their new tread-pattern is a lot like that of the Hankook IceBear W-300, as well as the Yokohama W.Drive. There is a lot of data/past-experience posts here and elsewere in the greater Scooby community on the older WRs and also the Hankooks, but the G2s, along with the W.Drive, I think, each only have had 1 season's worth of data accumulated.

I'd imagine that the G2 WR won't be any less capable, at all, than the original. :)

Yeah I think 225/45/17 are the right size for me. Its great to have a capable snow tire when going to the ski resorts :)

Blizzards are a rarity in Va. 6 inches would be a lot and I think any of the tires I listed would be up to the task while still being fun to drive on dry roads :)

i ran 225 WRs. i went with 225, because naturally you sacrifice some dry performance with the softer winter-oriented rubber -- the WRs are very soft; i figured a little more contact might help compensate.

the size and soft compound made the lgt ride/feel like a real luxury car -- the difference is pretty dramatic, which depending on what you want, i guess can be good or bad.

i disagree that they are loud; on the contrary, i found them extremely quiet.

they certainly do what you'd expect of them in the white (mine saw me through probably double the 6" you mentioned easily), i think they're as good as anything can be in a few inches of slush, and were adequate in the wet.

dry, they are very stable at straight-line higher speeds, but of course do not handle the corners or dig acceleration quite like an a/s.

pothole tolerance is outstanding, i ran these on probably the worst damn roads in the world for a bit over a year, iirc, and only managed to bubble one.

i'd say the only impact weakness is curb-scraping the soft comp sidewalls.

wear is a bit fast if you leave these on all year; the warmer seasons will eat them up a bit faster -- from my experience, i'd expect to get @ 30K out of a set, and maybe the full 50K if running in cold only, and see a good bit of snow.

if there is a traction weakness of this tire, it is stopping on dry sand/gravel (like the kind that deposits in puddles) on top of asphalt -- it must clog the sipes or something. as a lot of winters use the same type of siping, i wouldn't think it's an exclusive issue.

relatively expensive tire, but i was happy with them overall.

sorry i cannot say they are better or worse than xyz, as i really don't have winter/winter-ish tire experience beyond these.

hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

right now on TireRack, the 225/45/17's have more options than the other 2 sizes we run.

probably because they're a more common size on other cars (WRX, STi, A4, GTI, Jetta, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
I ran Hankook Icebears last winter here in Colorado, and was extremely pleased. They perform very well in snow/slush and also are more than adequate on dry pavement. I think they are a great value for the money, and one of the few tires I could find that would fit on an 18" wheel.

+1 for the Hankook IceBears (Denver as well)!

I am actually looking forward to putting them on again...they do great in winter conditions and still keep me entertained when it turns back to 60 degrees in mid-january. Cheap too!

I've heard lots of good things about the M3's as well- never tried them but they seem to cost a bit more $$$

BTW I run the IB's on in the stock size on the stock rim...26's in the summer!! (see avatar)

ok ok its photochopped- hehe

Archived