LegacyGT.com

Best performance oriented winter tire?

VTGT

What is the best performance oriented winter tire?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best performance oriented winter tire?

• Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
    • Dunlop Winter Sport M3
    • Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
    • Hankook W300 Icebears
    • Other- See post

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the 3D a replacement for the M3 or up a tier? TireRack seems to only have the M3s in typical scoob sizes. Might be it's still a bit early for full stock on 3Ds

Also, I noticed someone saying they might run 205/50/17…

Can you safely do that on a stock 08 wheel? It won't botch the odometer, etc?

I *thought* that the 3Ds were a M3 replacement, but the 3D's been out for more than a couple of seasons, now, and the M3s are still readily available.

I honestly don't know what the deal is, between the 3D and M3 ...... :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Is the 3D a replacement for the M3 or up a tier? TireRack seems to only have the M3s in typical scoob sizes. Might be it's still a bit early for full stock on 3Ds

Also, I noticed someone saying they might run 205/50/17…

Can you safely do that on a stock 08 wheel? It won't botch the odometer, etc?

that was probably me; I decided to run the 205/50/17 Blizzak LM-22s on stock '07 wheels, which are 17x7.

the 2.5i cars have 205/50/17 stock tires, at least the '05-'07s.

all the stock 17" wheels for Legacys are 17x7.

it doesn't blotch the speedometer, more than 1mph:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

hope that helps.

it doesn't blotch the speedometer, more than 1mph:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

hope that helps.

Got it. I thought they might both draw from the same revolutions.

The 205/50/17 come up as a 'plus zero' size… I'm too daft to gather how that works.

Maybe the +05 is not significant enough that it makes it a 'plus zero' where +10 to /55 would br the 'plus one' .

My experience with winter tires is nothing excels at every winter condition even 4" of snow. The problem is 4" can be powder, it can be very wet, essentially slush or icy. Usually a strength somewhere means a weakness in another.

At this point I would buy the least expensive winter performance tire as long as it is not noisy. It will excel at one of the 4" of snow conditions. Nothing dominates all.

^ Exactly.

I got what I got - the 3Ds - because of what people whom I trusted had said about their capabilities in slush and fresh powder (albeit not deep powder).

For the wifey's car, I'm currently very tempted to, instead, get her some studless - or even studded - "ice and snows," since her driving style is distinctly different from mine, and as I think she'd find the extra safety on ice to be particularly beneficial, given her usual routes.

There's nothing that's going to be best for every scenario. There's always compromises.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Got it. I thought they might both draw from the same revolutions.

The 205/50/17 come up as a 'plus zero' size… I'm too daft to gather how that works.

Maybe the +05 is not significant enough that it makes it a 'plus zero' where +10 to /55 would br the 'plus one' .

my car example

2005 Legacy GT

OE tires 215/45R17

+0 -> 225/45R17

-0 -> 205/50R17

+1 -> 225/40R18 (215/45R18 would count as +1 too I believe)

-1 -> would not fit over front brakes

Krzys

I wish I read this thread a couple of days ago I might have had a look at the Dunlop's. This year Quebec has brought in Mandatory Snow Tire Law between Nov15th and April 15th....so delemna what to get for the 2008 2.5i with 205/50R/17's?

I looked at the

Blizzak LM25...great in deep snow...not as effective on ice and slush...a posting on another treat said...on ice he slid through an intersection.

Toyo Garrett: A dedicated winter tire with crushed walnuts for grip on ice...but only H rated. After record snow last year ...I was being told it was the tire to have...but on dry or wet...it would be mushy handling.

The New Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3's ...last years PA3's are now called PrimacyPA3s....a new tread design...suppose to be better than last years.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/winter/pilot-alpin-pa3/#sizes-and-specifications

Then what to do for rims.

1) Subaru Canada says steel 17" rims and winter tires on the stock suspension of a 2.5i Wagon. TOO HEAVY

2) winter alloy wheels 60$ more a rim.

3)Ah! use stock rims and get 18" rims and dedecated tires (Summer Rims 2x to 3x more expensive then cheaper winter alloy rims. ) And the roads in Quebec it is best sometimes to have a bit more sidewall ...it saves denting the rims and the rest of the suspension.

Shopped arround parts of Ontario and Montreal...because this new law is a license to print money..then asked my Subaru Service Manager...what he could do...and he gave me the best price.

Decision: The new Michelin's PA3's and a winter rim from FAST WHEELS and here is picture.

Second Thoughts...Might have gone and had a look at the Dunlop's but Winter here in Quebec can be actually three conditions...deep snow,(as you can see in my avitar)... freezing rain (black ice), wet/slushy, & dry. Each of the tires had their strengths and weakness...so in many ways it will be a crap shot...and I guess this winter will tell .

I have had my Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 A/S for two winters. I spend about 1 month Jan-Feb in Jackson Hole, Wy. Where the routinely average 180" of snow per year (220" last year). If driven moderately to conservative in bad weather these tires have awesome winter traction. Good balance between a summer and winter tire too. Rain traction is the most impressive I have experienced in an ultra high performance all season tire.

I wish I read this thread a couple of days ago I might have had a look at the Dunlop's. This year Quebec has brought in Mandatory Snow Tire Law between Nov15th and April 15th....so delemna what to get for the 2008 2.5i with 205/50R/17's?

Second Thoughts...Might have gone and had a look at the Dunlop's but Winter here in Quebec can be actually three conditions...deep snow,(as you can see in my avitar)... freezing rain (black ice), wet/slushy, & dry. Each of the tires had their strengths and weakness...so in many ways it will be a crap shot...and I guess this winter will tell .

I'm originally from Rochester, NY. As you know, is just on the other side of the lake from Toronto. And now I live in the Burlington, VT area which is just outside of Montreal. So I'd say the weather I experience is similar, if not the same; I'd try Tirerack.com for snows. I believe they have the best and largest selections. Give them a call and compare prices.

I really liked the M3's. And looking at its Tire Rack ratings, I'd say any other snow tire with ratings close to it or better will do you well.

Also, you're not limited to the 205/50/17 size for fitment:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/assignTireVehicle.do?yr=2008&mk=SUBARU&vid=012498

hope that helps.

I beg to differ.

Winter is the season when you may need all the grip that you can get during normal driving, just like during track event (except in real life there is less space for error). So when buying winter tires I would buy narrower ones unless I can get slightly wider for much, much lower price (in my case: 205/50R17 the best, 215/45R17 possible if price is right, 225/45R17 I would hesitate even if I get them for free).

Krzys

I have a set of Nokan WR's, although I really can't comment on their snow handling since we did not get much snow at all in PA last winter. I am running the stock tires until the winter comes, then I will switch back and hopefully get to have some fun in the snow. I can't see how they wouldn't be real good in the snow, I got around the first winter with the stock tires, so these can only be better.

I used to run Blizzak MZ-02's on my FWD acura CL, even with 3/32's on them they still pulled through the snow with ease, so I have no complaints about them. Yes they are soft on the dry pavement, but that is to be expected, can't fault a tire for that, thats what soft rubber does. Also with regards to the noise comment about the WR's, I don't find them to be loud, UNLESS you are driving over patches of the tar sealant that they line some roads with, every time I run over those areas I can hear that distinctly, but again, who cares, I don't need my car to be silent.

I run 3 sets of wheel/tires LM 25 mid- December thru end of February. I travel in Vermont and upstate NY in the winter and I've had enough of the all season stock RE-92 in the snow. My winter driveway in VT is scetchy at best so Full Snows are needed but I live in boston area and do a lot of highway driving so the LM 25's work well. In summer I have RE-01-R (which are unbelievable) but risky to use in early spring/ late fall so I use the stockers RE92 then. It's a lot but it works for me.

Jib

im hoping that my new toyo proxies 4 arent THAT bad. and hey. anything has to be better than stock

^ Historically, people have rated the Proxes 4's winter traction above the Pirelli P-Zero Nero, but have rated them below that of the Falken ZIEX ZE51.

If you're careful, you'll be just fine - and if you can find an empty lot, you can have a lot of fun. ;) But definitely, they're far from dedicated winter tires, and their winter traction offers much less capability than even the "performance" winter tires.

Archived