LegacyGT.com

Best performance oriented winter tire?

VTGT

What is the best performance oriented winter tire?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best performance oriented winter tire?

• Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
    • Dunlop Winter Sport M3
    • Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
    • Hankook W300 Icebears
    • Other- See post

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I read this thread a couple of days ago I might have had a look at the Dunlop's. This year Quebec has brought in Mandatory Snow Tire Law between Nov15th and April 15th....so delemna what to get for the 2008 2.5i with 205/50R/17's?

I looked at the

Blizzak LM25...great in deep snow...not as effective on ice and slush...a posting on another treat said...on ice he slid through an intersection.

Toyo Garrett: A dedicated winter tire with crushed walnuts for grip on ice...but only H rated. After record snow last year ...I was being told it was the tire to have...but on dry or wet...it would be mushy handling.

The New Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3's ...last years PA3's are now called PrimacyPA3s....a new tread design...suppose to be better than last years.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/winter/pilot-alpin-pa3/#sizes-and-specifications

Then what to do for rims.

1) Subaru Canada says steel 17" rims and winter tires on the stock suspension of a 2.5i Wagon. TOO HEAVY

2) winter alloy wheels 60$ more a rim.

3)Ah! use stock rims and get 18" rims and dedecated tires (Summer Rims 2x to 3x more expensive then cheaper winter alloy rims. ) And the roads in Quebec it is best sometimes to have a bit more sidewall ...it saves denting the rims and the rest of the suspension.

Shopped arround parts of Ontario and Montreal...because this new law is a license to print money..then asked my Subaru Service Manager...what he could do...and he gave me the best price.

Decision: The new Michelin's PA3's and a winter rim from FAST WHEELS and here is picture.

Second Thoughts...Might have gone and had a look at the Dunlop's but Winter here in Quebec can be actually three conditions...deep snow,(as you can see in my avitar)... freezing rain (black ice), wet/slushy, & dry. Each of the tires had their strengths and weakness...so in many ways it will be a crap shot...and I guess this winter will tell .

I found that the Toyo's were not "mushy" and were quite predictable in the dry. In snow/ice/slush, the Subie was like a F1 in a sea of Yugo's!:lol: You can cruise in white stuff at posted speeds while the other duffers slog along. Great tire. Running 215/45 at that on stock rims(now dedicated)

They are not GS3's but they are way above RE92s. As for H rated, I have never spent much time above 130 MPH even following the crazies on the TCH:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to decide right now between the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's or the Nokian WR G2's. I've had great luck with the Nokians but they're $193 each for H-rated 225/45r17's. The 3D's seem to be about $50 less.

The $193 was from Johns & Sons. Who has the best local prices - Greater Boston or S. NH - for Dunlops? They're $137 each from tirerack delivered after rebate, and mount/balance seems to run around $12/tire.

The V rated models are $9 per tire more. Any reason to get them? The stock tire rating on the WRX is W: that's like 11 on an amp.:lol:

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I'd not get H rated WRs... too low speed limit :)

And I went to John & Sons by your recommendation and wasn't happy. They fubared balancing on all tires :mad:

Try Maynard & Leusier.

I'd not get H rated WRs... too low speed limit :)

And I went to John & Sons by your recommendation and wasn't happy. They fubared balancing on all tires :mad:

Try Maynard & Leusier.

I've purchased five sets of tires from Johns & Sons: all good.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I drive a lot, all over New England, from S. CT (15-20" of snow per season) to N Maine: over 200" last season! But I live on the coast, where we get more than our share of freezing rain or rain. So for me all around performance trumps the Nordic-style tires that are superb in ice and snow in cold temps but may not handle as well in the dry or wet, nor last as long. Considered the Dunlop 3D but the Nokian WR G2 was only about $15 per wheel more, installed, given that Dunlop has a $50 rebate right now. And none were in stock locally.

Had the Nokian WR G2 (replacement for the WR) installed on the WRX today in size 225/45r17. I called Nokian about the speed rating (H or V) and they suggested the H.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281831_EfcC5-L.jpg

Here's what the WR looks like in comparison.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421284607_Nzb3Q-L.jpg

They also had the new Nokian R (replacement for the RSI) in size 215/45r17 out for an installation.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281817_PfTQz-L.jpg

Here's what the RSI looks like in comparison.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421284573_2j2p2-M.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I must say that I see little need for a winter specific tire for our cars (in most areas). I spent last winter in north eastern Ohio where there is a pretty decent amount of snow fall (lake effect snow) and I was still running my RE92s. I had absolutely no issues with getting around. I frequently went driving during snow storms and made several ski trips up east to ny and Vermont. Despite the widespread hatred for the RE92s I submit that they preformed pretty well in the snow. My previous vehicle was a jeep with all terrain tires and I would say that other than some minor ground clearance issues my LGT preformed just as well with the RE92s as my jeep did.

VTGT- having lived in Blacksburg for 4 years myself I belive that you will be more than fine with a decent set of all seasons tires. Don't waste money on Snow tires.

Just my .02

I must say that I see little need for a winter specific tire for our cars (in most areas). I spent last winter in north eastern Ohio where there is a pretty decent amount of snow fall (lake effect snow) and I was still running my RE92s. I had absolutely no issues with getting around. I frequently went driving during snow storms and made several ski trips up east to ny and Vermont. Despite the widespread hatred for the RE92s I submit that they preformed pretty well in the snow. My previous vehicle was a jeep with all terrain tires and I would say that other than some minor ground clearance issues my LGT preformed just as well with the RE92s as my jeep did.

VTGT- having lived in Blacksburg for 4 years myself I belive that you will be more than fine with a decent set of all seasons tires. Don't waste money on Snow tires.

Just my .02

Your 2 cents suck!:rolleyes:

In the province of Quebec (in Canada) it is now law to have winter tires from Dec 15 on.

Would you buy your car if it had no airbags? How about no ABS, or no side impact beams, or maybe those crumple zones that seem to work.:spin:

The difference driving on ice and snow in winter tires vs all-season is quite large. Sure you can probably get by. But I can gaurantee that people that see a few months of snow and ice every year will undoubtedly benefit from winter tires.:)

How many years do you think you could drive w/o getting in an accident? 10, maybe 15? How about 20? Well at some point almost everyone who drives in the snow and ice will get into an accident, either their own fault, or one they could have avoided. Is a few hundred on winter tires (now your summer tires last longer too, so net cost isn't really too high) worth avoiding that? For anyone that can drive a car worth more then a couple of grand the answer should be YES.

I'd take a FWD with real snow tires over LGT with RE92s. Whoever says RE92 performs well doesn't know any better (Jeep is not a great example, 4x4 trucks with typical truck tires suck in winter, except in the really deep stuff) or needs his head examined.

I also think winter tires should be made mandatory in the U.S. snowbelt.

I'd take a FWD with real snow tires over LGT with RE92s. Whoever says RE92 performs well doesn't know any better (Jeep is not a great example, 4x4 trucks with typical truck tires suck in winter, except in the really deep stuff) or needs his head examined.

I also think winter tires should be made mandatory in the U.S. snowbelt.

Yep.

Of course snow tires are not a necessity, this is obvious. I choose to run snow tires on my vehicles, whether fwd, rwd, or awd because safety is a major concern of mine and you can't put a price on that.

Just my .02

I agree that snow tires are not needed for most areas, however they do make the car handle sooooo much better. I ran the oem tires my first winter and never got stuck, so if that is the criteria than no I did not need new tires, but I did buy some nokians anyway, and they are awesome in the snow.

Also I don't see how you can compare the re92's to a set of AT tires on your jeep. We had dueler AT and now Yoko ATs on my wifes SUV and those things have CRAZY grip!! You can see them throwing snow up in the air in the rear view mirror, it doesn't get better than that!! You hit the brakes and you stop rather quickly in the white stuff.

I am not an re92 hater, I run them in until the winter and then change them off.

Archived