LegacyGT.com

Best performance oriented winter tire?

VTGT

What is the best performance oriented winter tire?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best performance oriented winter tire?

• Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
    • Dunlop Winter Sport M3
    • Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
    • Hankook W300 Icebears
    • Other- See post

If people actually knew how to drive in the snow then they wouldn't be so dependent on snow tires.

And you will notice that I said they are not needed "most areas". I recognize that some areas snow tires would be very necessary.

I used to have the same silly, arrogant opinion. Even after having done some ice time trials, so you'd think I knew better.

We conducted a three way test between my 97 OBW with good A/S (Michelin HydroEdge), a Honda Accord with Nokian RSI's, and another Accord with Goodyear A/S. Three of us took turns driving the car during a snowfall, then rotated. We made no comments to each other on changeover.

Summary: I'd rather have a FWD car with snows than an AWD car with A/S. The OBW could start better on an uphill section, but that was it. The car with the RSI's could turn and handle with dramatically better control. The first thing I did was to buy snows for my then-new 06 H6 OBW, which is a remarkably good car in snow.

To me, it makes no sense at all to drive an AWD car - and pay the additional ownership costs - and then skimp on tires. Particularly since most owners go through a set of tires during ownership anyway, so the cost of a second set of wheels and tires is minimal.

Most modern A/S tires aren't bad in snow when they're new. Some are even OK on ice, which to me is a tougher driving environment. But modern snow tires are also much improved.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure if the question is really about getting stuck or not. All Season Tires loose flexibility at -7 to 9 degrees Celsius. The colder it gets the less flexible they get and soon it is like a hockey puck on ice for at the same time the tires are getting harder and more like a hockey puck, the road that is loosing grip because the tar in asphalt is getting harder and becoming like ice. Hard tire, Hard road, hit breaks and watch you loose traction fast! Many of the winter tires are running softer compounds and are able to retain their flexibility thus holding the road better.

The Quebec law was in recognition of the fact that "Yes" we get alot of snow but also that the lower the temperatures the need for softer compund tires to hold their road gripping ability.

Here in CT the Blizzak WS-60 studless tires were rated 9.5 / 10 for snow performance on Subarus and cost $159 each for a 215/45R17 stock Legacy GT rim.

I went with a set of Hankook performance tires (I forget the model) which had better ratings, better wear and cost $155 each... set cost me $699 to put on my car, mounted and all.

Oh yeah. And Goodyear Eagle F1 'summer' only tires are scarry to drive on when snow is on the ground. Not safe at all. If you have summer only tires don't risk it.

Even in Columbus, OH with the foo-foo winters interspersed with occasional heavy, wet snow I'm happy I popped for a set of winter wheels and tires. The problem I found with the RE-92s was not that I couldn't go/turn/stop, but that the complete lack of lateral and braking traction compared to the LSD-equipped acceleration made the handling balance suck.

Got the LM-25 from Firestone for $150/ea. installed on a set of big heavy '07 LGT stockers and couldn't be happier. Almost as good as my worn RE-92's for cold weather daily duty in the dry though I admit I don't push them.

It may not be much, but that's why they call it $.02.

Here in CT the Blizzak WS-60 studless tires were rated 9.5 / 10 for snow performance on Subarus and cost $159 each for a 215/45R17 stock Legacy GT rim.

I went with a set of Hankook performance tires (I forget the model) which had better ratings, better wear and cost $155 each... set cost me $699 to put on my car, mounted and all.

What tests?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Tossed the LGT sideways a bit the other day, on my 225/45/17 3Ds - on-purpose, of course. ;)

I think that the biggest difference, versus "all-seasons," is how much more aggressive I have to be, in order to step outside the bounds on these winters, as well as how much easier I was able to "regain control" thereafter.

:D

On a more serious note -

On a day where, on a mere 8-mile commute, I counted no less than a half-dozen cars stuck in the no-man's-land between the semi-plowed street (the snow was really coming down) and their un-plowed driveways, I *backed* my car into my sister-in-law's similarly snowy driveway.

OK, so I got her hung-up between the street and the driveway, in no-man's-land, on my first try :redface: . But I sure as heck wiped the grin off the snowplow truck driver's face, when I extricated myself with just one forward-and-rear rock, and didn't even stop smiling, myself, all that time. :lol:

Why is it that private snowplow operators always delight in seeing a low-to-the-ground import stuck in the snow? :p

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I bought Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance. Haven't used them yet, but these, along with GW3, are worth a look.

I had the GoodYear UltraGrip (GW2 I think back then) on my Maxima, and they were hands down the best performance winter tire I have had.

The next best are my current Dunlop M3s, followed by the Pilot Alpin.

You just bought the normal Ultra Grip

There is Ultra Grip (studdable), Ultra Grip Ice, Ultra Grip Performance, Eagle UG GW2 (older version of GW3 I believe), and Eagle UG GW3.

I have the Ultra Grip Performance:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Performance

I have Yokohama Ice Guard 20 on my Protege--decent snow and ice, and I'd say rides a bit between a full out "mushy" snow tire and high perf snow tire. The poor Protege is still "one wheel drive" though...starts are still fairly slow in slippery conditions, stopping is much improved.

High perf winters seem to generally have slightly less tread depth, less drastic sipes (e.g. compare a WS60), etc., (and probably a slightly firmer compound) all to make them a little firmer. So, as one would expect, I think you're generally giving up a little ice & snow peformance for the sake of better dry perf.

001623.jpg.501b49490f36d0dcfaa9ad4e4267a478.jpg

Hey after looking at the rim/wheel faq I saw the tallest tire recommended for a stock 17 inch rim (05 GT) was 205/50/17.

Does anyone know if I can run a 205/60/17 with studs? I live in Alaska and I’m looking for the most ground clearance I can get with studded tire...

Thanks!

AKLOVE36-

Anyone else care to comment on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's in a little more depth?

I found a pretty new set for a great price. I scanned the thread and just saw a few comments here and there but not a real summary of the tire's performance.

For reference I am currently running Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Summer's.

^Right I understand that. But I am getting new wheels and summer tires in the spring. So I figure I might as well get a more winter biased all-season for the next winter or two.

From what I have read the Dunlop M3's and the Hankook Ice bears probably perform better than some other "all-seasons" in the dry. So I do not think I am giving up much.

I do make a lot of ski trips so the added traction will be nice. I live in christiansburg BTW so the BT is not really an option. I did take it a lot when did I lived in bburg

Anyone else care to comment on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's in a little more depth?

I found a pretty new set for a great price. I scanned the thread and just saw a few comments here and there but not a real summary of the tire's performance.

For reference I am currently running Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Summer's.

If you have the money just go buy them. Bench racing snow tires is futile. The Nokian WR's would cost you a lot more so used is good. But measure the tread depth! You can buy a depth gage at an auto parts store for a buck or two, or NTB gives them away.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have 32k miles on my stock tires and am wanting to replace them. Unfortunatly, I don't have room to store a set of summer/winter tires so I was thinking about just getting some M3's or D3's and using them year. I live in Indiana but ski a lot in michigan and am mostly concerned about winter performance. However, summers are rather hot. Any ideas about how many miles I might expect to get on them?

Any suggestions for a good all season tire with a bent towards winter driving instead?

2nd car i've run dunlops on. m3s on the last and 3ds on this one as it had higher speed rating and came in 225/45 17. run them on 17x17.7 oz superturismos and they are great as expected.

playing in the snow is so much fun. have yet to get stuck in anything an i'm dropped. drove through 2ft of snow in VT last year and the lgt was a please as long as i started in at least 2nd gear :) had to keep stopping to clear snow of the headlamps though. oh well.

also the dunlops are very good in the rain at speeds. better the re92s in all conditions.

you really dont run to run the dunlops all year. over 60 degrees and you'll really eat the tread up. i had to do it on my last car since i was selling it and sold the summer setup. i ate up almost half the tread from oct to july. which consisted of several 320 mile trips from nj to penn state.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

4th winter on my 225/45/17 Dunlop M3's - these have been an amazing tire...I run back and forth from Vancouver to Whistler constantly which brings a combination of Wet...soaking wet...slush...wet hardpack(the worst thing ever) and ice...I have yet to be dissappointed in every condition!

I also find that even on the dry these are very predictable when pushed!

Although with that said in the end it really comes down to driving within the conditions and yourself...but blah blah blah!

J

I picked up a set of 215/50R-17 Michelin X-Ice Xi2 XL from tirerack, got a set of cheap wheels too. Don't think I saw them mentioned in this thread. They had decent reviews on tirerack. Installed them about an hour ago. Seems to ride well on dry roads.

I ran the stock rubber on my 09 spec.B the other day in a half inch of snow and couldn't believe how poor the traction was. It was really cold out too...so the tires were rock hard. That was enough of that...tirerack.com and 2 days later I have new tires and wheels!

Mega snow in Montreal today...and it was fun! The ALPINE PILOT PA3 and the Subaru and I had fun...first time with it in the snow...it likes deep snow. Even with a bit of ice underneath. The tires were great. Came home to find 2 ft of snow in my lane way...I like to back into my garage...the snow was flying I backed and as the PA 3 dug in and in the garage it went. The neighbours watched in amazement...for sure they thought I was going to get stuck. This is such a great car.

Hey after looking at the rim/wheel faq I saw the tallest tire recommended for a stock 17 inch rim (05 GT) was 205/50/17.

Does anyone know if I can run a 205/60/17 with studs? I live in Alaska and I’m looking for the most ground clearance I can get with studded tire...

Thanks!

AKLOVE36-

Any thoughts?

Thanks-

• 2 weeks later...

Even though this thread is for performance winter tires...

anyone here have experience in Hankook I-pikes?

Getting rid of my Blizzak LM-22s; not nearly as good as the Dunlop M3s for my wagon.

So if I don't get another set on M3s, gonna try I-pikes.

Archived