LegacyGT.com

5EAT & Stage I ... how safe?

z28dreams

when i sell the car in less than four years, itll have less than 100k miles on it.. we're talking about tranny rebuilds at 150k, maybe longer if we get a cooler. so i dont really see it that necessary in my situation

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I'm running stage 1 which is basically nothing and every time after driving 10 minutes around town my tranny cooler (which is the biggest tru-cool that fits) is super hot to the touch. This tells me that obviously the tranny-cooler is a good idea.

The Automatic tranny in the LGT isnt the best built so every little bit of help isnt a bad thing....especially for 50 bucks, cheaper then 1 tank of gas.

when i sell the car in less than four years, itll have less than 100k miles on it.. we're talking about tranny rebuilds at 150k, maybe longer if we get a cooler. so i dont really see it that necessary in my situation

perhaps, but it would be a nice gesture towards the next owner. ;) and for less than $50, it will prolong the life of your tranny.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

My plan is to just maintain the stage 2 setup and maybe add a new top-mount and pdx-tune... the VB mod sounds nice but since I have no plans to go past stage 2 I think the VB isn't worth it.

What I'm REALLY hoping is that within 5 years SOA will offer the STI LGT. I think it would be in very limited production but I truly believe its possible....Then I get the manual and pretty-much forget my tranny worries.

haha. well, I'm just saying. they are different and they both have weaknesses. I can tell you I'm sure I'll be replacing the stock clutch in the new car within a year. ;)

STI > LGT for autox. hands down! however, LGT > STI at the strip! boy do I miss those clutchless (stinkless) launches at 18 psi! :lol:

Argh i wish the vb mod was cheaper... group buy! Ah how awesome that would be. AK i keep forgetting did you blow up your tranny all together? Or was it just clutch slipping?

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

no it was slightly starting to slip. we caught it in time and the vb mod took care of any issues. tranny's been going strong ever since. Hope to have the car back up and running by Thurs since I need to be driving it by Friday!

Define "slightly started to slip" please, so I know what to watch out for?

Mine currently shifts nice and crisp under regular driving [hooks the gears right away, firmly] and under WOT the shifts are softer but just as quick so methinks I'm good to go.

1 year/20k miles later on Stage 1, all good. No tranny cooler either.

if your foot goes to the floor under WOT and your car seems to take too long to slide into gear and then clunks into place seconds after it should have already shifted, you probably have some slippage.

• 1 month later...

I am looking at picking up a tranny cooler this week, and was debating between the Tru Cool 4452 & 4543. Leaning towards the 4543 since it is fin & plate and appears to be a direct fit. Does anyone have the 4543? Thanks Mike

I believe fin & plate allows for better air pass-through. (Better for your radiator).

However, the 4543 is of course larger physically than the others, so it's probably close to a wash.

I am looking at picking up a tranny cooler this week, and was debating between the Tru Cool 4452 & 4543. Leaning towards the 4543 since it is fin & plate and appears to be a direct fit. Does anyone have the 4543? Thanks Mike

Posted this in another thread but I'll repeat here - Pirouz from DPS tuning recommended that I don't go with a cooler that's "too big" because it can actually bring temps down quite a bit. At some point viscosity may change to the point where it flows slower.

I'm opting for the 4452 myself.

z28dreams, I do not believe that is an issue with the TruCool transmission coolers because they only route the ATF as it needs. By default the cooler doesn't route the fluid in it's entire body when it's thick and cold. As it warms up and gets thinner, it gradually opens up valves and starts routing it increasingly in more and more of it's core. Does that make sense? Was Pirouz aware of that feature?

Now, one question that comes to mind in regards to this functionality is .. what happens to the ATF that's "trapped" in the cooler when you shut the engine off and then start her up on a cold winter morning?

I'm Googling for a diagram of how this works, but here's what I found so far

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1035392742031720211XrIWMP

• 2 years later...
I'm still stock other than topmount and intake and I had the 5eat just the ATF done at the dealer at about 30,000 no cooler not a real light to light racer!! Just once in a blue moon I will power brake it but now it has error SS only 45,000miles on the car the last place I took it they said it was error 55.. Not slipping yet any suggestions I would just go for the IPT rebuild but just to expensive for this car rather put it in my 300tt....

I fail to understand why the tranny would generate that much heat, to the point where it heat soaks the stock cooler.

Shift times are the same gear to gear - does the 5EAT unlock the TC between shifts? Or keep it locked?

Heat comes from slipping, not in a locked application.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Torque converter lock-up is to gain fuel efficiency. It is normally disengaged in D mode unless you are in 5th gear cruising. In manual mode, under the right conditions, it will engage in 3-4-5 but will disengage post shifting for a bit, then engage back up.

Archived