LegacyGT.com

5EAT & Stage I ... how safe?

z28dreams

Can someone log rpm and mph in 4th gear and 5th gear from low speed to high speed at WOT. Log rpm, mph, and throttle.

Here's what a 3rd gear WOT log looks like from 20 mph:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/20085eatmphvsrpm.jpg

Heat is the problem.

The service manual specifies how to raise the IAM by revving the engine in gear with the brakes applied but they limit it to xxx seconds or else damage will occur.

The G37 may have the same basic transmission type, but there might be subtle changes that make it different. Even if it was the same, the stock G37 makes about 236 ft-lb of peak torque at the wheels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_G37 And that's at a much higher rpm than the LGT. A stage 1 or 2 LGT will make peak torque between 3000 and 3500 rpm. Peak horsepower isn't the issue. It's high torque at rpm < 3700 rpm.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pulled up a G37 torque curve... looks like it makes peak torque right around the 3000rpm range. Even at only 2000rpm it's making around 200 @ the wheels.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/news/6696996/0705_c+2008_infiniti_g37+dyno_chart.jpg

I've assumed that it is, I've ran a cobb stage 1 93 map since the car was almost new. No cooler or anything over stock really. I'm not ALWAYS up on it but I do get on it on occasion for extended periods.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Stg 1 is really pretty safe unless you do something dumb. For example, if you are running an intake without a tune for it, you could be causing some damage. other than that, unless you have a really crappy tune, you should be pretty safe.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

plus an SOA tech at my side (not in the car with me) who could help me put the car back together again should something go terribly wrong.

AK Wagon gives me crap because I practically have a personal Subie Tech who has built my LGT and will most likely do the same to the STI.

How and where did you get this and how do I get one!!! :spin::)

And I never realized how tall 3rd is on the 5eat

lol

The tranny cooler is quite a simple install, i am a total noob and was able to bang it out, its easier with two people but yeah just make sure you tighten everything down since i didn't and leaked a bit. Tranny coolers are around 40-50 depending on the size of it.

VB mod is quite expensive however it does help preserve your tranny once you start hitting the higher power levels. The install for the vb mod which is being done i believe by toady is not for the light hearted.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I went with the trucool since its the only one that mentions that it performs well in the cold and by cold i mean -5 temps.

My cooler is

4454 Tru-Cool LPD thin, Stacked Plate cooler kit

From bulkpart.com.

R.I.P Coxx

Which is better stacked plate or fin & plate design. I am looking at the TruCool 4452 or the 4543. Also on the 4543 it has 3/8" barbs which I think is a direct fit correct? Thanks Mike

Which is better stacked plate or fin & plate design. I am looking at the TruCool 4452 or the 4543. Also on the 4543 it has 3/8" barbs which I think is a direct fit correct? Thanks Mike

I believe fin & plate allows for better air pass-through. (Better for your radiator).

However, the 4543 is of course larger physically than the others, so it's probably close to a wash.

i believe the 4454 is the largest you can go before you start running into fitment(size issues) and where you could put the darn thing.

R.I.P Coxx

So throwing down in the middle of this. I've been thinking about a cooler, VB mod, and IPT torque converter.......would getting their torque converter be bad or good for my tranny? I plan to occasionally track the car.

you don't need the TC. Tranny cooler easy. I do recommend the IPT VB mod if you are running a heavy stg 2+ (or more like turbo upgrade) and planning on either tracking the car or beating it to hell. Otherwise, the occassional spirited driving will be fine.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived