LegacyGT.com

5EAT & Stage I ... how safe?

z28dreams

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well as a recap, stage 1 on a 5eat is pretty safe with a good tune. trans cooler is always a plus no matter what you do. however, if you plan to go stage 2 or more you should consider upgrading your valve body. it's not necessary at stg 2 levels unless you plan to track or drive agressively. it should be a requirement if you go beyond stg2.

modding the valvebody will not save your tranny if it's already toast but only helps prolong its life and will give you quicker faster shifts. if your tranny is dead than you should consider an ipt built tranny.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i just went stage 2 with a cobb ots stage 2 tune. Love the improved performance, scared of what it will do to my tranny now...lol. Ill get the cooler stat, and take her in to the shop and have a qualified person evaluate my trannys condition. Then i can best decide to get the VB or save the money and put it towards a new tranny.

Wow a new tranny might not be necessary. However a vb mod should be fine and it will even save you some money if you DO get a new tranny since you will already have the VB mod done and can probably be deducted from the cost of the rebuild.

Tranny cooler is definitely a simple protective mod for us. There is no reason for one to not do it.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I know HLS is enjoying my old modded VB every chance he can get. :lol:

"He's got a Honda S2000 man, i'll win" - Silly kid in a jetta

"I live my life 10 seconds at a time" - Dom T.

"If your not first your last" - Reese Bobby

"Your either in WOT or your not" - HLS

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

"

"You're either in WOT or you're not" - HLS

<grammar nazi> fixed </grammar nazi>

unless it was meant to be that way?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Wow a new tranny might not be necessary. However a vb mod should be fine and it will even save you some money if you DO get a new tranny since you will already have the VB mod done and can probably be deducted from the cost of the rebuild.

Tranny cooler is definitely a simple protective mod for us. There is no reason for one to not do it.

sorry, that's what I meant.

i just went stage 2 with a cobb ots stage 2 tune. Love the improved performance, scared of what it will do to my tranny now...lol. Ill get the cooler stat, and take her in to the shop and have a qualified person evaluate my trannys condition. Then i can best decide to get the VB or save the money and put it towards a new tranny.

it all depends on how you drive your car. It won't be needed if all you do is putz around and on rare occassion get "on it." However, if you are launching your car at every freaking stop light and beating it on it daily, then yes, you should get it. $700 is a lot cheaper than $6000.

mostly i putz around town and get on it for only a short time only, and thats with the wheels already rolling. However, i do not know how the other driver behaved when he/she put 44,000 miles on my car. So if the cost of the VB can be recovered/saved when getting a rebuild then i will get the VB for sure.

What about the "bushings" from rallitek? are these applicable to my sit? (im a noob)

mostly i putz around town and get on it for only a short time only, and thats with the wheels already rolling. However, i do not know how the other driver behaved when he/she put 44,000 miles on my car. So if the cost of the VB can be recovered/saved when getting a rebuild then i will get the VB for sure.

What about the "bushings" from rallitek? are these applicable to my sit? (im a noob)

well, think of the VB as a performance mod as well. It firms up your shifts and trust me, it's hard to resist putting your foot in it now and again. ;) I don't think you really need the bushings, however they do help firm up some of the sloppiness in everyday driving as well. I would get the street version though, otherwise I'm told the noise vibration harshness (NVH) may be too rough for a dd. and really, for $50, it's kinda hard to pass up an easy to do cheap mod. I would also suggest looking for either a cheap vers 1 AP for your car or you can get a tactrix cable and do open source/engenuity for a stg 1 tune to smooth out some of the powerband. It'll give you a little more oomph when you put your foot on the gas, but really imo, cleans up that crappy stock OEM tune from SOA.

Thanks AKLGT & korpse.

No problem,

I also have the rallitek bushing in the street/comfort setting. Its a very easy mod to put in, i would suggest doing it when your switching out your dp if you have to. Since the tranny will be right over your dp. It did add some nvh, but eh its just another means to an end!

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

actually i only felt the nvh in the winter.. now that the warmer weather is here i barely notice a difference. i think if i lived in cali or florida i would have gone with the race version. maybe im just used to it now

when i went shopping for my car they had a LGT wagon and the outback xt wagon. just by looking at both with equivalent miles, you could tell the LGT was modded. i really wanted the LGT but it was nice to know that whoever had my outback was probably some old lady/man in upstate new york who babied the thing. the LGT had aftermarket rims, tint, different stereo. its nice to know my car wasnt a modded one when i bought it and that the tranny might be in slightly better shape.

Regarding the Rallitek 5EAT bushing, I got one of the first ones, the HARD ones :). It was a bear to put in, but with enough of their slimy grease and my vice I did it. It forced the bushing to expand quite a bit, something I noticed when reinstalling it.

The first time I drove the car I was shocked at the increase in NVH :eek:. It was a HUGE change and for a while I weighed the noise liability against the obviously superior control of the drivetrain. Getting on the car hard let me know my Legacy was no longer Stock.

But quite amazingly after a while I forgot about it. Whether time changed the mount or changed me I don't know. My wife never really noticed it much even when it was loud to me. Now that lots of months have passed I find my car quiet on rides and without any NVH issues at all.

I can say with certainty, however, that that bushing, along with the modifications to my rear diff bushings and rear LCA forward bushings as a package have made my car launch with a composure and firmness it NEVER had before. Well worth the trouble to do and the minor compromises in NVH.

ok ill get the bushings & VB. Im in california with tons of warm weather. Im at stage 2 now and running a COBB V2.0 AP.

I wont launch my baby, no way no how.

ya in your case, it would be better safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
Had the Tranny-cooler installed 2 days ago. It's been real hot around here (90's) but after seeing how super-hot that cooler gets it makes me feel so much safer that I installed it. People who dont even mod their LGT should get one of these.

i think even if you dont drive hard you should still buy one. they are cheap insurance for a long tranny life. ive purchased and installed one on every car ive owned and have not had tranny issues. 50 bucks and an hour of your time is cheaper than a 2-3k dollar rebuild. my dad drives like a douche and he has tranny issues so its not necessarily dependant on how hard you drive. im not sure hes gone over 60 mph in the last 10 years

Archived