LegacyGT.com

5EAT & Stage I ... how safe?

z28dreams

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

our torque converter is pretty much high stall. the only time you would possibly need the TC done is if you are going with a larger turbo and planning to drag race. At this point, for the amount of money and down time, just get your entire tranny built by IPT. Possibly on the 4EAT you might see some benefit, but on the 5EAT, it's a waste of money imo. When I spoke to IPT last year before I sent in my VB's, the owner told me it wasn't necessary to upgrade the TC unless my entire tranny blew up and then to send him the whole thing to rebuild.

Jeff, 'boon, any of you guys want to chime in regarding the TC on the 5EAT? Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I tracked mine more than most and now my VB has gone to Habitual Line Stepper. Though he isn't tracking his LGT, he beats on it pretty hard which imo isn't really any worse than taking the car to the strip or motorsports event. The same kind of abuse and wear and tear on your parts.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

our torque converter is pretty much high stall. the only time you would possibly need the TC done is if you are going with a larger turbo and planning to drag race. At this point, for the amount of money and down time, just get your entire tranny built by IPT. Possibly on the 4EAT you might see some benefit, but on the 5EAT, it's a waste of money imo. When I spoke to IPT last year before I sent in my VB's, the owner told me it wasn't necessary to upgrade the TC unless my entire tranny blew up and then to send him the whole thing to rebuild.

Jeff, 'boon, any of you guys want to chime in regarding the TC on the 5EAT? Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I tracked mine more than most and now my VB has gone to Habitual Line Stepper. Though he isn't tracking his LGT, he beats on it pretty hard which imo isn't really any worse than taking the car to the strip or motorsports event. The same kind of abuse and wear and tear on your parts.

When I had IPT rebuild my 5EAT the TC was a necessity, it had become contaminated with debris from the failed tranny. But as you say, unless you have to deal with such issues, and your 5EAT is otherwise OK, the stock TC is fine as-is.

Also as you have repeated to others, AK, if you intend to USE the TC and 5EAT to their potential limits..........GET THE IPT VB UPGRADE! And save yourself the $5,000-$6,000 headache a broken 5EAT will give you ;).

is it ok if i side-bust on this topic? I just went stage 2 on a used 05 lgt and i have have learned that the previous owner had done some mods but i dont know what exactly (besides ecutek). Car has 50,000 miles. I have no plans on going more than stage 2 and wont track or launch my baby. The occasional wot to around 5,200~ 5,700 rpms. What is recommended to help the tranny last as long as possible? Summers are well into the 100's in my area. Thank you for any input on this.

is it ok if i side-bust on this topic? I just went stage 2 on a used 05 lgt and i have have learned that the previous owner had done some mods but i dont know what exactly (besides ecutek). Car has 50,000 miles. I have no plans on going more than stage 2 and wont track or launch my baby. The occasional wot to around 5,200~ 5,700 rpms. What is recommended to help the tranny last as long as possible? Summers are well into the 100's in my area. Thank you for any input on this.

With Temps that hot tranny cooler would be a your first tranny mod.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

AKLGT you have a wealth of knowledge regarding the 5eat...im a total noob so i could use some help here. One cooler or two? Which is better?

I have to assume the tranny has been beat up from the first owner. Is the VB worth getting in my situation or should i save the money for the inevitable new tranny?

rallitek bushings any help in prolonging the lifespan?

one cooler, run it in parallel with the stock cooler. from what i was told by the company that did my vb mod on my old maxima, if the tranny is damaged enough then its done for vb or not. the only thing the vb will do is prolong the inevitable. still the vb mod is a great mod to do. im not sure how it is on the legacys but city driving was somewhat harsh but when you got on it man did it shift fast

AKLGT you have a wealth of knowledge regarding the 5eat...im a total noob so i could use some help here. One cooler or two? Which is better?

I have to assume the tranny has been beat up from the first owner. Is the VB worth getting in my situation or should i save the money for the inevitable new tranny?

rallitek bushings any help in prolonging the lifespan?

if the tranny is so far gone, it will not matter if you do teh VB upgrade or not. as sschmelcke has already said, it will help prolong the life, but it will not make it invincible. if your tranny's on the way out, nothing will save it. However, if you are going stg 2+ than definitely do the VB mod. Afterall, if the tranny goes boom, IPT will give you a discount since the VB is already done (if you have them build you a race tranny). I would recommend it to anyone with a 5EAT who plans to be a little more agressive in driving than your average commuter, however I really don't think it necessary if you plan to keep the car stock or only stg 1 (tune only).

I know HLS is enjoying my old modded VB every chance he can get. :lol:

and yes, you really only need one tranny cooler.

hey aklgt how hard were your shifts with the VB under light throttle/traffic? i drive so much per day that ive been hesitant to get one only for the fact that when under light throttle my maxima's shifts were almost bone jarring. if i gave it more throttle it was so fast it was almost unnoticeable. this was supposidly the street version of the vb mod and not the race.

bleh, they weren't very rough at all. definitely more noticeable than stock, but they were just a quick, shift and it was done. I can tell you that my MT shifting is far worse! :lol: if you want bone jarring... come up here and I'll give you a ride in the STI. :lol: you'll need to see a chiropractor when it's over though! I think I'm getting better though....

hahaha. well, just try to not floor it too much or do any hard launching. I know that's why mine started slipping, from all the torque braking and launches in stg 2.

Archived