LegacyGT.com

5EAT & Stage I ... how safe?

z28dreams

Nobody has gone that route that I know of because a more efficient and safe way to shed temp is adding a cooler and possibly using a better ATF, namely synthetics.

The TCM has not been cracked to day.

Again, torque lock-up is used to increase fuel efficiency, it is not a behavior that has been set up as a way to mitigate temperature rise. It is not something that should be engaged at WOT or under significant load, because you WILL break shit. There's no conspiracy, the stock TC lock-up clutch and the converter in general can't take it.

Now, addressing your question

does the 5EAT unlock the TC between shifts? Or keep it locked?

Torque lock-up is the exception, not the rule. It is not engaged when going through gears and in D mode daily driving, will only be engaged once the transmission is in 5th gear.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow this is a great thread. So basically If i have the Perrin LWCP a catless invida dp and a catless up pipe but stock catback, I would need just a tranny cooler correct (looking at the 4454)? I get that the vb mod would help but is it absolutely needed? I'm just a spirited driver so it's not like I duct tape the throttle to the floor

Archived