LegacyGT.com

LGT 5mt final reduction gearing changes 05-07 vs 08

collegemt

I was searching cars101.com and noticed that the 05-07 have different final reduction vs the 08. I am not sure what this means. If someone could explain it to me that would be great. Which one has better acceleration capabilities?

05-07 gearing specs from cars101.com:

5spd manual available on GT sedan only

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

final reduction 4.111

08 gearing specs froom cars101.com:

5spd manual available on GT sedan only

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th 0.972

5th .738

final reduction 3.900

Not sure that there would be a huge difference but the 4.11 gearing should give you better off the line acceleration. I think the gearing change was done to improve gas mileage more than anything else.

The 4.11 would accelerate faster than 3.90 geared cars all things being equil.

All the other ratios are the same.

If I had my choice I would keep the '05 1st to 5th gearing and 4.11 rear gear and add a taller 6th gear for highway cruising. Say something like 0.65

This would retain all the goodness of 1-5 and the efficiency in 6th

Agreed with franklin. The 08 final reduction gives you a little more "in gear" pulling time, which is nice in it's way. I don't feel this engine revs high at all on the highway, though I am currently driving a car that revs high all the time :)

A 6th gear would've been a much better choice.

Joe

The Spec be has changed every year:

06 Specs:

5spd manual available on sedan only including spec.B

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

final reduction 4.111

07 Specs:

6 spd manual, spec.B only

1st 3.636

2nd 2.235

3rd 1.521

4th 1.137

5th 0.891

6th 0.707

final 3.454

08 Specs:

6 spd manual, spec.B only

1st 3.636

2nd 2.235

3rd 1.521

4th 1.137

5th 0.891

6th 0.707

final 3.900

'07 spec. B final drive ratio is 3.9

3.454 is a common first gear ratio on some subies. Maybe, the cars101 data entry person, got a little ahead of themselves and made a typo:lol:

IIRC the problem wasn't cars101 but SOA. I remember seeing the same number on a bunch of other publications so SOA must have put out the wrong number. Anyway, this was discussed before and the RPM at speed of '07 owners have verified that the assumption.

The 4.11 would accelerate faster than 3.90 geared cars all things being equil.

All the other ratios are the same.

If I had my choice I would keep the '05 1st to 5th gearing and 4.11 rear gear and add a taller 6th gear for highway cruising. Say something like 0.65

This would retain all the goodness of 1-5 and the efficiency in 6th

IMHO, that's what Subaru should had done with the Spec B's 6MT. The EJ25 really doesn't need a close ratio 6MT to get the most out of it, the 5MT's ratio was more than enough. A much taller 6th gear, aka Corvette's 2 overdrive gear box, would have given the Spec B a very desirable advantage over the 5MT LGT on highway fuel economy.

I know, that's just crazy. And people wonder why Corvette is rated at 26 mpg on the highway.

The crazy thing is that the the Corvette can pull that super-tall gear just fine. Big motors FTW. Even with a 2.5T acceleration at that rpm would be slow as molasses on a winter morning.

Kyle "BlackHole"

anyone think it's doable? that sure would be nice going 80 @ 1500rpms.

As long as a vendor is willing to make the gear it's certainly possible, but keep in mind it will be pretty expensive. There is a vendor that makes aftermarket final gear ratio for the Z and it's ~$700 for the gear itself. Add in the rebuild cost for the transmission and it will take a very long time to pay it off with gas savings.

1500 rpm is probably too low for the EJ25 at 80 mph, I will be very happy if it's less than 2500 rpm.

I think it's a bad idea....I don't think this motor can hold itself in a top gear at 80mph if it's doing 2000rpms.

I notice that this car, due to it's lack of low-end and pretty poor aerodynamics, needs to have a decent amount of gas given to it to maintain speed on the highway. I think a super tall overdrive gear would not necessarily give you better fuel economy.

The Corvette can also turn 1500 rpms because it's got the low-end power and it has very little aerodynamic drag.

Joe

...I notice that this car, due to it's lack of low-end and pretty poor aerodynamics, needs to have a decent amount of gas given to it to maintain speed on the highway...

:confused:

Coefficient of drag for Sedan ~= .29

Coefficient of drag for Wagin ~= .31

Pretty good numbers, actually. To get an idea of total drag, you need to multiple the Coefficient by the frontal area of the car, which for our cars is slightly smaller compared to Camry, Accord, etc. So total aero drag is at least average, if not better than average. We do have the full-time AWD which is more resistance to overcome. Remember we have throttle-by-wire, the accelerator pedal is only one input into the system. I find my car takes a fairly light touch, but feedback from the pedal is only an illusion, anyway.

I don't know about the frontal area, but you are right on the drag coefficient. I thought it was much higher than that (i.e. .35) due in large part to the hood scoop.

.29 is unbelievable for this car....my 06 Civic SI, with a much sleeker overall shape, lower to the ground, no hood scoop, and a windshield raked way-the-hell back puts about the same coefficient up

Anyway, I stand by my point though. This car seems to require significant engine power at ~75mph to maintain speed, whether due from low-end or (what I thought) aerodynamics or both, so I don't think it'd be a good idea to make the overdrive gearing much taller.

Joe

Edit: Agree, to a point, on the pedal input. I don't think it's feedback from the pedal, I think it's visual and tactile feedback of the car slowing down unless additional pedal-pushing is a'given. Note also the MPG guage's swing to the left :)

IMO it's driveline losses. My ancient brick-on-wheels 160k mi AWD 1991 Galant VR4 got better mileage than my LGT and took longer to coast-down from speed. Now on my second Subie, I've been very disappointed with their drivetrains.
Kyle "BlackHole"

Underdog,

To be honest, it might just be getting used to the car.

But cruising in this car at a single speed does not seem effortless. Could be the extra mechanical drag. I thought it was aerodynamics as well. Could be high-rolling resistance re92s.

Could be that my other car has a bottom-hinged gas pedal and I'm getting used to the pedal coming from the top. :)

Could be the swings of the MPG guage, which prompt my attention to changing throttle input.

I just notice that this car seems to need more attention to maintain a set speed, absent cruise control.

Joe

Archived