LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy Spec B Info from NY autoshow

pathfin9

Ok SOA here is my suggestion. If you are going to put a sub on the rear deck then for F**k sake engineer the deck properly so you dont get shitloads of vibration. My Macintosh system is great but the damn sub on the rear deck causes heaps of vibration and associated noise. I had to do some home modifications in order to fix this issue when really this should have been fixed before they ever delivered it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how the Legacy line up should stand imho.

2.5i 5MT or 5AT - approx 170hp - entry level model

GT 2.5T 6MT or 5AT - approx 250hp - sport model

GT SpecB 2.5T 6MT only - approx 300hp - high performance model

3.6H - 5AT only - approx 280hp - luxury model

They need to make a distinct definition between each model in both performance and features.

I talked to a subaru rep. at the Press preview at the NY autoshow today, and he confirmed that there will be the Harmon Kardon Sound System in the 2009's and there WILL be new colors as well!

-John

Doyou have any pictures of the headunit, or H K will be supplying only speakers?:confused:

The more I think about this arrangment, the more I like it

2.5i 5EAT and 5MT options, stripped-out or leather&loaded. Nav optional $19-25k.

2.5 GT Special Edition: 5EAT-SS or 5MT 26-28k, Basically same as current Limited sans leather, and dropped price. Basically a Legacy WRX-equivalent. Sell it on the basis of a fast sedan with a value price. Kind of like the Legacy 2.5i Special Edition, except that it is turbocharged, hence the GT moniker.

Spec B drops from ~$35k to $30-32k with full color availability, all black interiors, and becomes the main turbo legacy at the mainstream price point. (but not the sole turbo Legacy, please) 6MT or 5EAT-SS. As the mainstream turbo model, non-stick-shifters should still be able to enjoy driving and owning such a car. Not to say that most of them won't be equipped and sold with the stick. It would have all current Spec B standard features plus adding standard Brembo brakes from the STI; except NAV, HID, and BBS wheels all become OPTIONAL. (similar to the BBS-package for the WRX STI, although I would prefer them be piece-meal.)

3.0R/3.6 H6 model stays mostly as is, of course with NAV, HIDs, and BBS optional. Basically is the mainstream-oriented foil to the Spec B, fully optioned, and sportier than some, but not as finely focused on performance as the Spec B Turbo. Thus likely 5EAT-SS as the only transmission option, and most, or all being beige or grey interior, rather than black with a 6-speed.

This thread just confirms for me once again how lucky I am. I have never in my life read so much frustration over a car and it's options or lack of.

PS I am already tiring of my Liberty and wanting something new from Subaru Australia.

speakers only

Mmmm...just as suspected. To me it's like powering an F1 car with a 3 cylinder tata engine, may be not, but you know what I mean. Sometimes it's better not to do something if you are not going to do it properly. Who asked for speakers anyway?

I thought the normal HUs were pioneer, may be the US once aren't.

GTSPECB STI, what did you do to stop the rattling and vibrations from the sub?

Mmmm...just as suspected. To me it's like powering an F1 car with a 3 cylinder tata engine, may be not, but you know what I mean. Sometimes it's better not to do something if you are not going to do it properly. Who asked for speakers anyway?

I thought the normal HUs were pioneer, may be the US once aren't.

GTSPECB STI, what did you do to stop the rattling and vibrations from the sub?

Supposedly they will be giving a new head unit to go with it in 2010. One step at a time ;)

Actually a pretty good idea. They put out something with out fully comitting to it in order to get a feeling. This will allow them to check out how responsive the market is to product and determine how far to go in 2010. We certainly are an impatient group!

Well, they could start by advertising.

When domino's broke into India (now one of it's best selling regions) They had to run commercials to educate the population on what pizza was and how to enjoy it (with soda, on a friday night as a family etc.) Advertising is really really important. Especially when you're brand image is all out of wack with different people. I would bet money that most people who are above 40 and aren't real motor heads don't even know that the outback and the Sti are made by the same company. Subaru is in the league of suzuki. (ie What the hell is that? Oh, don't they make japanese cars... sort of like a broke down nissan/honda/toyota?)

Problem is the fringe owners of the Legacy brand (esp. in the performance area) are a niche market to Subaru. The Outback and the WRX will sell all day, the STI see's limited success because of the price and then you get into the Spec B and the Legacy STI trim levels and you're talking BMW/Audi price for a Subaru.

Only a handful of people on this board would drop the coin to get a Legacy STI--- Some of them only an Legacy STI Wagon.... point being is Subaru advertises to people it knows it's going to sell it's largest percentage of it's consumer base.

But if you only advertise to your existing customer base it makes it pretty damn hard to gain new customers unless you're trying to steal market share away from other people in that demographic. I mean truthfully, I don't think I've ever seen a marketing campaign for the GT. I love the car, but if it isn't a priority why do they even make it? It's a pain in the ass for them to produce/design it. The fact that they are making it means that they think they can sell them, but to whom do they plan on selling these things to? People that walk in to see an outback or forester and fall in love with it? If you weren't into cars and didn't know somebody who owned a legacy you probably wouldn't even know it existed. <--- That's a pretty big marketing failure. This is further supported by the number of times that people ask us 'What kind of car is that?' Sometimes even when we tell them it is a Subaru Legacy people say Outback? WRX? STI? There is hardly any knowledge of the legacy in the broader community in the United states. At this point, if Subaru isn't even going to try, they should just scrap the legacy and focus on building up forester, outback, and wrx customers until they are big enough (have enough money) to market all of their cars properly. It is better to have no image than a bad image... Sad but true.

Problem is the fringe owners of the Legacy brand (esp. in the performance area) are a niche market to Subaru. The Outback and the WRX will sell all day, the STI see's limited success because of the price and then you get into the Spec B and the Legacy STI trim levels and you're talking BMW/Audi price for a Subaru.

Only a handful of people on this board would drop the coin to get a Legacy STI--- Some of them only an Legacy STI Wagon.... point being is Subaru advertises to people it knows it's going to sell it's largest percentage of it's consumer base.

Funny, coming from a guy who has an X MR FUND in his sig :)

all this "test the waters" crap is just that.. crap!

But if you're an executive and that is your philosophy then you get a couple of things right and everybody thinks you're great until you mess something up and you're out of a job :(

And being a big shot at a company is like being a punter in the NFL.... if you go out on a sour note, there is a slim chance in hell of you getting another job.

But if you only advertise to your existing customer base it makes it pretty damn hard to gain new customers unless you're trying to steal market share away from other people in that demographic. I mean truthfully, I don't think I've ever seen a marketing campaign for the GT. I love the car, but if it isn't a priority why do they even make it? It's a pain in the ass for them to produce/design it. The fact that they are making it means that they think they can sell them, but to whom do they plan on selling these things to? People that walk in to see an outback or forester and fall in love with it? If you weren't into cars and didn't know somebody who owned a legacy you probably wouldn't even know it existed. <--- That's a pretty big marketing failure. <snip> At this point, if Subaru isn't even going to try, they should just scrap the legacy and focus on building up forester, outback, and wrx customers until they are big enough (have enough money) to market all of their cars properly. It is better to have no image than a bad image... Sad but true.

+1

I am in the heart of Subaru's target market -- snow-belt. Subaru's largest local dealer just had an ad campaign touting the value & performance of Subaru. They had a blurb with video of the vehicle for each one of the Subaru models except the Legacy. The dealer has no Legacies on their showroom floor and what inventory they have (rarely a turbo) is not featured prominently on the lot.

If Subaru, national and local, is not going to market the car it is not going to sell. The Legacy is a tremendous value and could easily attract buyers from the competition, if they just got the word out about the car and what it brings to the table. I have never seen a Legacy GT ad. :spin::mad::spin:

I'm hoping that the replacement boots for the cracking shifter and e-brake boots are replaced with these. Cause mine are already cracked, and i've only had my car since Sept! :mad:

I'll be getting it replaced hopefully.

-John

The cracking boots have a service bulletin on them... your dealer will replace with the new more supple ones for free.

See: http://www.thel7.com/TSB/03-56-07.pdf

Can someone post a picture of a cracked shifter boot or ebrake boot? My shifter boot crackles in the winter really badly until the interior warms up. It sounds like tissue paper crackling or something. Totally 'el cheapo sounding. I think it may be starting to get those cracks in them and I just wanna be sure....

Paycer,

You boots are cracking - there is a service bulleting on this - your dealer will order and install replacements. See: http://www.thel7.com/TSB/03-56-07.pdf

Bulletin Number: 03-56-07 / 06-38-07; Date: 09/07/07 Page

Introduction

If you encounter a customer complaint of cracks in the leather parking brake lever boot and/or

manual transmission shift lever boot, a modification was made to improve the durability of the

leather. This Service Bulletin informs of the new part numbers.

Production Line Change

The countermeasure parts were used in production August, 2007 with the following VINs:

Model Body Starting VIN

Legacy Sedan 8*210730

Wagon 8*326714

Outback 8*326469

Part information

Parking Brake Lever Boot

Color Part Number

Ivory 92123AG11BWA

Off Black 92123AG11BJC

Shift Lever Boot

Trans Type Part Number

6MT 92121AG10B

5MT 92121AG13B

5MT SI-Drive 92121AG56B

Warranty Information

For vehicles under the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, refer to the Subaru Warranty

Wizard for claim submission information.

CAUTION: VEHICLE SERVICING PERFORMED BY UNTRAINED PERSONS COULD

RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY TO THOSE PERSONS OR TO OTHERS.

Subaru Service Bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians ONLY. They are written to inform those technicians of

conditions that may occur in some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper servicing of the vehicle. Properly

trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do the job correctly and safely. If a condition

is described, DO NOT assume that this Service Bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.

NUMBER: 03-56-07

06-38-07

DATE: 09/07/07

APPLICABILITY: 2007~08MY Legacy/Outback

SUBJECT: Parking Brake Lever Boot and Manual

Transmission Shift Lever Boot

SERVICE BULLETIN

ATENTION:

GENERAL MANAGER

PARTS MANAGER

CLAIMS PERSONNEL

SERVICE MANAGER

IMPORTANT - All

Service Personnel

Should Read and

Initial in the boxes

provided, right.

PROUD PARTNER

The cracking boots have a service bulletin on them... your dealer will replace with the new more supple ones for free.

See: http://www.thel7.com/TSB/03-56-07.pdf

Thanks, I'll have to give my dealer a call. Cause, mine is def. cracked. The winter months did a great job at that. Sounds like crumpling a paper bag.

-John

Archived