LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy Spec B Info from NY autoshow

pathfin9

Have to kind of agree with richard a bit.

Car audio always seemed to me to be a stupid place to spend big dollars. audio in a car is sidebar entertainment at most. it is not a stable or good environment to worry too much about. But crap is still crap, and most OEM is marginal at best. Some well constructed speakers, and a nicely functional head unit with the features one wants, and enough power to drive said speakers. A harman kardon amp and speaker set, with the newer sat/aux capable head unit are an improvement over '05-06, but the head unit could be better, and I doubt the HK OEM stuff is as premium as good aftermarket stuff... but maybe.

Home AV is more stable, but even there, I take a bit of a "walk softly and carry a decent sized stick" philosophy. I just took the first step of a long journey yesterday into the digital realm. My old AV receiver was analog, stem to stern, and not that good, but I do have a set of NHT loudspeakers (5 channels and a JBL powered sub) that make the system sound better than it has a right to. The speakers are the saving grace.

But I just bought a new AV receiver, though. a Cambridge Audio 6.1 digital decoding piece at a very good discount. Again, not flashy, not supercalifragilistic, nor expialadocious. Modest price, essential features, but no frills, and hits well above it's price class. It will allow all of my sources to go from analog to optical digital, into a very well regarded amplifier section, driving the also-underdog NHT speakers.

I haven't received the piece yet, but I am enthusiastic.

But my point is, that it doesn't have to be the latest, greatest, flashy, singing and dancing system. Well constructed with the essential features, and modestly priced can do well. I have spent less money on the major parts of my home theater than some AV receivers alone, yet it sounds acceptable now, and will probably sound actually pretty good after I install the new receiver. Throwing cubic dollars at the issue is not always the answer.

Not-coincidentally, that sort of thing is exactly why I love my Legacy, as well. Not as well known, not as well optioned, but Very well built, and punches hard above it's price class, and generally solidly built and does what it is intended to do VERY well.

Value. not everything to everyone, but one primary thing the best.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, just got a survey from Subaru last night about option packages and they asked what I thought about making the HK 8-speaker, 270-watt sound system an option over the standard 1cd package for an extra $600. Also asked about integrating bluetooth/handsfree and a backup camera system for $600 as well.

what about a head-unit upgrade for the 6-disc changer setup. The HK stuff is all behind the scenes, and speakers... The single-disc is on the base model, which means nothing to the people who already have the 6-disc head unit.

And it certainly shouldn't cost $600. My new AV receiver with 80 watts nominal RMS (not max) x 6 channels, and full digital decoding, and premium amps and power supply equipment just cost me 2/3rds of that. I know those aren't the same things... but no way the factory-installed HK gear and the 6-disc HU cost that much OVER the cost of the other OE equipment.

Aftermarket bluetooth (with an aux in path into the HU for the 07+) and a backup camera for the factory NAV system can probably be done for less than $200 with retail aftermarket parts.

What is SOA smokin? These should be upgrades, but nowhere NEAR that price, if not standard equipment.

what about a head-unit upgrade for the 6-disc changer setup. The HK stuff is all behind the scenes, and speakers... The single-disc is on the base model, which means nothing to the people who already have the 6-disc head unit.

And it certainly shouldn't cost $600. My new AV receiver with 80 watts nominal RMS (not max) x 6 channels, and full digital decoding, and premium amps and power supply equipment just cost me 2/3rds of that. I know those aren't the same things... but no way the factory-installed HK gear and the 6-disc HU cost that much OVER the cost of the other OE equipment.

Aftermarket bluetooth (with an aux in path into the HU for the 07+) and a backup camera for the factory NAV system can probably be done for less than $200 with retail aftermarket parts.

What is SOA smokin? These should be upgrades, but nowhere NEAR that price, if not standard equipment.

I think they meant that it would be a $600 option cost for a new car over the standard 4 speaker crappy setup (perhaps on a base model impreza or forrester). Also, the backup camera/bluetooth includes the LCD screen (separate from GPS).

Still, 600$ per is a bit outrageous.

I like the idea of making the stereo equipment available to lower trim models (personally, I don't see the point of limiting amenities and options like stereo upgrade, NAV, etc. to certain models. They should be optional on lower trims, maybe standard on high-trims, but available to all)

But 600$ for each is nuts. 200$ would be manageable. 400$ would be a bit wary. 600 for what you describe, is insane, other than the fact that aftermarket equipment is hard to fit to a Legacy dash.

Sure NAV head-units and others cost $1-2K... but you are getting a whole lot more features than merely an HK oe-grade amp, a few speakers, and a merely adequate HU. Bluetooth integration and a rear view camera are even more obviously less expensive than a $600 option.

And if you have to install an LCD screen just for a rear-view camera, it seems like a waste. Add a rear-view camera to an existing LCD-based system, but adding an LCD, taking away a significant fraction of the storage space in the interior, just for a rear view camera and 600$ burning interest in the principal of a car loan? For that savings, I can use a rear-view mirror, thanks. (although I have no intention of ever borrowing for another car, or at least a very BARE minimum... I'd much rather pay cash, and then things like this take on some importance, as they should anyway.)

they think they can get away with it because people finance it into their car debt. That doesn't make it wise to do, nor does it make it a good idea for SOA/dealers to overcharge like that.

My Libo came with 14 speaker 300 watt Macintosh Audio System. Best sound I have ever had in a subaru no doubt but was it the deal clincher for me? Hell no and there is no way I would have spent big dollars to option it on the car. Rather put the money in something performance wise. I cruised with my local club in the hills on the weekend and never even considered turning music on, rather hear the rumble and the road with window and sunroof down!

I cruised with my local club in the hills on the weekend and never even considered turning music on, rather hear the rumble and the road with window and sunroof down!

Well said mate! :D I never have music on during drives. :p

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I cruised with my local club in the hills on the weekend and never even considered turning music on, rather hear the rumble and the road with window and sunroof down!

If I dare lift from VW…

…'it's really hard for me to enjoy the sound of the engine with all that yakkin'

If only SOA ran these kinda ads:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoWFtPbhMmM]YouTube - VW Fast[/ame]

My Libo came with 14 speaker 300 watt Macintosh Audio System. Best sound I have ever had in a subaru no doubt but was it the deal clincher for me? Hell no and there is no way I would have spent big dollars to option it on the car. Rather put the money in something performance wise. I cruised with my local club in the hills on the weekend and never even considered turning music on, rather hear the rumble and the road with window and sunroof down!

For what the extra cost might be to just add the MacIntosh audio, I'd go aftermarket all day, every day, and twice on Tuesday. :D I hear it's good stuff, but I'm still an aftermarket fan. I'm in to clean installs, though, nothing obnoxious.

This is a little over simplified and not very accurate in terms of audio performance. Of any audio reproduction device:

65% Speakers (including placement and acoustic calibration), 20% Amplification, 15%/2 Source/Transport.

While the head unit may not be all sex as far as features visuals, NAV, or the latest in DVD-Audio reproduction, the DACs are not a huge deal for mobile audio. I doubt they vary much from different head units. It's all it the amps and speakers. That is where the sound comes from.

So who knows how good it will sound, but if you needed better audio this is a good solution that does not require a new head unit.

Sub deserves some credit on this one.

+1

I totally agree with you...

• 4 weeks later...
Still, 600$ per is a bit outrageous.

I like the idea of making the stereo equipment available to lower trim models (personally, I don't see the point of limiting amenities and options like stereo upgrade, NAV, etc. to certain models. They should be optional on lower trims, maybe standard on high-trims, but available to all)

But 600$ for each is nuts. 200$ would be manageable. 400$ would be a bit wary. 600 for what you describe, is insane, other than the fact that aftermarket equipment is hard to fit to a Legacy dash.

Sure NAV head-units and others cost $1-2K... but you are getting a whole lot more features than merely an HK oe-grade amp, a few speakers, and a merely adequate HU. Bluetooth integration and a rear view camera are even more obviously less expensive than a $600 option.

And if you have to install an LCD screen just for a rear-view camera, it seems like a waste. Add a rear-view camera to an existing LCD-based system, but adding an LCD, taking away a significant fraction of the storage space in the interior, just for a rear view camera and 600$ burning interest in the principal of a car loan? For that savings, I can use a rear-view mirror, thanks. (although I have no intention of ever borrowing for another car, or at least a very BARE minimum... I'd much rather pay cash, and then things like this take on some importance, as they should anyway.)

they think they can get away with it because people finance it into their car debt. That doesn't make it wise to do, nor does it make it a good idea for SOA/dealers to overcharge like that.

OEM upgraded audio is usually nice, but not super nice, as has been said in here. And any other forum.... since forever. :)

I am sure that the H-K system will be nice enough to satisfy most people.

I've got an Alpine five-channel amp, Boston Acoustics front components and single 10" sub, and some coaxials in the back that I've had in about three cars. All of it's been installed for eight years and has been great. I upgraded the HU a few years ago to an Eclipse CD8053. It's all old stuff, but I think it sounds great. If I could upgrade one thing, it would be amp output.

Just be thankful Subaru didn't go with Bose, like everyone else does. ;)

Those are nice sentiments, but when ppl say this, they fail to mention the other 5 days out of the week where they're stuck in commuter traffic going *nowhere* fast and in those cases, its nice to have a good stereo, rather than having the windows rolled down, hearing city noises, noise from other cars, and sucking up other exhaust fumes.

Archived