LegacyGT.com

ACT Clutch and why I had problems!

BLKGT5

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tytek,

It looks like we had the same problem! Glad to hear that the WRX flywheel improved some of the issues. I was also thinking about just changing my flywheel to a WRX style, but now you've confirmed that I made the best decision by not even bothering with the ACT setup and just ditching it altogether.

ACT kit is going in later this week. Guess I will have to pay attention to how much chatter is present right after install. Least it is something that seems to make itself known right away.

Nothing to do with making sure all surfaces were degreased and dried before install would it?

I had told them to make sure it was degreased and leave the ring on, which it looks like they did. So no, I don't think that was the issue. I wonder if it was a clearance issue. Bad release lever, throw out bearing or possibly faulty springs on the clutch disc? Does the street organic act disc look like the one in my picture? It seems course and very metalic like with a copper and aluminum mixture. I thought it would look more like an organic break pad?

One more thing, in picture 4. Do you notice the contact areas? If it was even, it would of shown the entire ring to have some wear marks, not just some areas.

http://members.cox.net/zenmaster/4.JPG

FWIW when I was having problems with my BullyClutch (not chatter or anything like that, but I had to adj the pedal until it broke in, then I had to adjust it back) Frank at BullyClutches was more then accommodating. He said if needed he would machine the PP to make up any tolerance if needed. FWIW it wasn't needed.

I have installed several ACT clutches and all the street/full facing disk models have been as easy to drive as stock, with light pedal effort and smooth engagement from the first time the clutch pedal was let out. Heck, I just drove my LGT with an ACT 6 puck for the first time in a long time and it was friendly. I have never experienced any chatter in any of the full facing models. For the guys who are complaining about chatter and noise, go drive a car with a twin plate... you'll probably want to gouge your ears out! :lol:

The only time I ever get chatter is trying to accelerate in to high of a gear i.e. 25-30 mph in 4th gear. Otherwise taking off is a piece of cake.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

FWIW - I had a SPEC clutch in my race car that I had problems with. They overnighted me a new clutch setup no questions asked with a return label. This was also 8 years ago and I ended up talking to the owner so that might have had something to do with it. I have their LWFW and Stage 3+ sitting in my garage. Can't get it installed for a few more weeks though.

• 2 months later...

Just had my ACT SB5-HDMM + WRX FW installed yesterday. Very different feel, firmer on the pedal. Today I notice a clunking noise every time torque is applied in 1st gear, and it takes lots of skill to do a smooth drive off, much harder than anything I've experienced in 30 years of driving standard.

Problem with the install? Normal break-in, should improve with time? Clutch pedal adjustment? Dunno, sure isn't a lot of fun to drive at the moment, too much work.

Edit: my clunking noise appears to have nothing to do with the clutch, more like a suspension issue, or something underneath that wasn't re-installed correctly.

Try to adjust your clutch pedal position inside the car. Since the new assembly is a lot thinner, the travel of the pedal itself often needs to be adjusted...

Try to adjust your clutch pedal position inside the car. Since the new assembly is a lot thinner, the travel of the pedal itself often needs to be adjusted...

Thanks, that was on my list of things to try, will do over the weekend.

FYI- the clutch pedal travel is adjusted by a rod located above the gas pedal. You will also have to adjust the engagement of the sensor at the top of the clutch pedal.
Let's kick this pig!

Edit: my clunking noise appears to have nothing to do with the clutch, more like a suspension issue, or something underneath that wasn't re-installed correctly.

check your front sway bar brackets, and check your motor mounts.

Finally got a chance to play with the clutch pedal adjustment today..it was totally out of whack....I loosened the 14mm lock nut and had to shorten the setting to pretty much maximum. Drove around a bit, seems better, but a real road test will tell.

I'll have my mechanic hoist the car and examine from underneath to try to figure out the clunking problem. Motor mounts, or sway bar brackets, sounds like a probable cause.

On the subject of clutch pedal adjustment...the family album is confusing...I don't see how they get their max minus min difference...I get much more than what they say with my setup.

FYI- the clutch pedal travel is adjusted by a rod located above the gas pedal. You will also have to adjust the engagement of the sensor at the top of the clutch pedal.

D'oh, just finally figured all of this out, between your info and the family album...previously I only adjusted the sensor. Now my clutch travel is within spec (5.31- 5.51"), and the clutch engages very smoothly into 1st.

I had to rip off that white plastic flare at the end of the clevis pin to get the pin out...can't see any harm in leaving it off, it won't stay on anymore.

My clunking noise fixed today...the mechanic didn't tighten down something near the intercooler, some kind of dog-bone. Now with properly adjusted clutch pedal, and clunking gone, starting to enjoy the ACT/WRX setup. Have to get used to my revs dropping faster than I'm used to when I'm downshifting into a curve, otherwise, engages smoothly and positively.

Glad to hear it. That "dog bone" is basically the top motor mount(Pitch Stop Mount) that keeps the engine from moving vertically under load. It keeps your DP from hitting the firewall and your TMIC from bouncing off the hood.
Let's kick this pig!

I remember reading this thread before I got my ACT clutch, but forgot about it.

1-600 miles it was smooth as butter. Then I slipped the clutch (way) too much and it started chattering. Clutch engagement at 1500 RPM meant insane chatter. I think it's worked itself out over the last couple hundred miles though. But I generally find myself revving to 2k RPM for the smoothest possible take off, where as with the stock unit I could easily get moving from idle.

Still a great clutch however. Much much better feel then the stock unit, and I can deal with the slightly higher needed revs. I've still only had this clutch / LWFW for about 3 weeks.

My clunking noise fixed today...the mechanic didn't tighten down something near the intercooler, some kind of dog-bone. Now with properly adjusted clutch pedal, and clunking gone, starting to enjoy the ACT/WRX setup. Have to get used to my revs dropping faster than I'm used to when I'm downshifting into a curve, otherwise, engages smoothly and positively.

How is noise vibration harshness for you ? For me it was horrible at first - sounded like a loose heat shield - and whenever it is cold outside...now it sort of gone away but yeah the car drives better.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, Spec is out, now Act is out (hate companies who do not stand behind their product). Any other clutch options when I need one? Perhaps Bullyclutch LBGT touted here?

Or I guess I really should swap 6MT in the future and just stick to the STI stocker.

Take it easy... don't write them off yet.

What Fly Wheel did 05BLKGT have, the Streetlite or Racelite? My friend has a Racelite (about 5#s lighter then Streetlite) and it does take more to get the car moving due to weight... not the easiest if you do a lot of city driving.

I have the Streetlite and it is an awsome clutch. I did my first 2 launches last night with my new tune and ran "2" 4.5sec 0-60 runs. Very consistant and solid.

The car is totally driveable (much better then stock), I put 250miles a week on my car.

ACT says that 2-3secs. is all you want to slip for the first 1000 miles and that is pretty easy to accomodate.

I understand that the install happened at a reputable performance shop but mechanics (even good ones) are human and can make a mistake. A bad install is a more likely scenario then the poor product.

Sorry you had a bad experience but this is a great product so I would certainly encourage those looking to replace your clutch ACT should be considered.

If you are happy with the stock clutch that is great but for those looking to mod your cars, I would suggest going aftermarket.

• 9 months later...

does anyone have a how-to or write up on the clutch adjustment? I just got my HDMM/LWFW ACT setup. and i am having some grinding issues when quick shifting/spirited driving. REgular driving and slow shifting it feels like butter.

After all my reading it seems like a adjustment issue do to the thinner WRX style flywheel. But i cant find a how to or manual pdf showing how to do it.

Archived