LegacyGT.com

ACT Clutch and why I had problems!

BLKGT5

Yes, the ACT street version.

The popular combo that Fred Beans is known for promoting.

I figured it was just the way aftermarket clutches like this are designed. I guess the OEM clutches have to be much more forgiving on the engagement point so they don't lose customers on the test drive thanks to 90% of people out there not wanting a performance based, on/off, grabby clutch.

This is my first aftermarket clutch. But I'll get used to it pretty quick and I'm super happy to get it in as it won't smell like my last OEM one did when 'launched', and will handle stage 2 power levels better.

As I think I said above, I'm worried about Mrs Gire driving it. She takes my car out only about once a month and she may stall and jerk/ launch the car into the one in front of her in traffic. I'll have to take her out practicing on it asap.

In a large parking lot.

At night.:lol:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stalled out once, as I pulled out of the parking space of the dealer service lot. :redface:

At the next light, I *almost* stalled.

At the next, I was fine.

You'll get used to it really quickly, don't worry - and yes, after it breaks-in a bit, engagement will be less abrupt.

I'd actually say that you should wait until the clutch has broken-in for about 300 miles of stop-and-go city-driving before getting the Mrs. behind the wheel. That way, she won't have to "re-learn" the behavior of the clutch, after its break-in.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Feels like stock, or what I remember stock feeling like :lol:

^ I think that's me, too.

I honestly don't notice any difference in pedal pressure....

But then again, my left leg is overdeveloped, anyway! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey guys I'm new to this site and couldn't figure out how to make a new posting but this thread looks almost on target. I went ahead last week and ordered a new Act cluch (the performance street disc) thats good for 420hp and a new Dual mass flywheel. So i'm kinda feeling like an idiot now because everyone is saying that the 06 wrx flywheel is the best way to go... is that true? The parts will be in by tuesday hopefully, but is there any major problems with this setup that anyone is aware of?

I doubt the installer could even get the PP on the car with the OEM fly.

Even the dowels in the fly don't line up,

so....

Im pretty sure I have an ACT and stock fly wheel setup. I have some chatter at low RPMs when I shift, but when I shift at 2k its fine. How bad is thie release/engage problem you speak of?

No, you don't.

ACT clutch and OEM flywheel won't work together

Wrong (as usual). Only 05-06 OEM are dual mass. OEM 07-09 are single mass and will work with the ACT clutch just fine.

thanks for being mr. wizard... we're talking about an OEM DMF here. not the entire range of cars over the last 10 years

Then qualify your post with what years are you talking about. Noone expects you to list applications for the last 10 years.

Simple.

Here are a couple of qustions;

1. Is there anyway to have a stock PP beefed up in terms of clamping load?

2. Those of you who switched from the DMFW to the WRX style, did you notice any difference in NVH at idle or rattle on decel?

3. Why did they put a DM flywheel in in the first place ( 05-06) if later model LGT 5MT's have a solid flywheel? Did I read that correctly? 07 and later LGT's have a solid flywheel?

I need to make up my mind quick, engine is coming out this weekend for the headgaskets.

Archived