LegacyGT.com

New Nissan 350Z vs 06 Spec.B strait line?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was able to beat 350z's and G35's on the streeet and freeway when i was stock, hence my ricey lil name :lol:

so according to you guys, IF i was still stock, the new G37s and 350Zs would beat me in the 1/4mi. ?

The Z with the revised engine likely would if driven well. The G35 would be very close.

But at the end of the day were talking maybe .2-.3 tenths so drivers race from a stop. Freeway rape?

What world do you live in, 05GT Guru?

Evidently, some crazy world where people criticize parts that can't magically be reliable at nearly or more than 300% of their factory rated output?

Somehow that makes the VQ engine CRAP???

Talk about hard to please. I would hate to see what you do to computers, or washing machines, or something. (It can't hold 8 loads of laundry at once, and spin at 3500RPMS, and it breaks drive components. THIS IS A CRAP WASHING MACHINE!!!)

Geez.

Who drives 600hp+ cars on the street every day, anyway? That is a lot of fuel consumption, and a lot of custom work that is pretty darn vulnerable out in the world every day. And if it is a weekend toy, then perhaps there are better choices for more than 600hp.

And I was half questioning my own sanity thinking that a 380hp 3.8 X51 ->Cayman S engine swapped car would be a rational goal for someone with lots of money. Evidently THAT would be crap in the circles you move in.

I never said the cars internals were factory, i was talking about the block, the stock block cant even handle that power. Obviously these cars have forged internals.I was jsut saying if your gonna build a power beast you would have to start from scratch, custom blocks can cost in the thousands. I have seen 2jzs with 800rwhp, the only things that were repaced was the internals and the turbo setup, and bolts on intake manifold, stock head, cams and block. Who said anything about driving a 600hp as a everyday driver, i said they have problems after 600hp, and 600hp isnt that much power, there are guys living around here that still street race there 1000rwhp cars. If you dont belive me thats whatever but i have seen it. I drive a 600hp car on the streets when its nice. What i was saying is the design of the block cause more pressure to be put on certain parts. The RBs were far better performance engines thats all i was saying, did you know they came with crank cages from the factory, so if the bottom end blew it would damage any other parts. RB=Race breed and for a good reason cause the stock blockcould handle 1500+hp. I get about 180miles to 16.9 gallon tank on average with my 600hp car. Its not that bad. For the rush you get when that turbo hits 20+psi

My argument still stands.

Calling the VQ block "crap" just because it can't handle loads it was NEVER designed for, is a bit ridiculous.

I don't doubt that the RB series engines were better, by what you describe. Good. They probably weigh more, too.

But Nissan designed those engines for different purposes. Notice that they did not use the same block for their new Twin-turbo GT-R, they used a 3.8 liter block, which is probably not the same as the 3.5-3.7 VQ.

And over-engineering to the point of handling the kind of horsepower that you are talking about is probably not Nissan's primary goal, when fuel efficiency, cooling efficiency, and weight are an issue, for a line of cars of which NONE are force-induced. The RB was turbocharged from the factory. The Z, Gs, M, FX, and every other nissan car that uses the VQ are normally aspirated engines.

Calling them crap for failing that kind of extreme torture test is hardly realistic in the real world.

And the real world typically doesn't include tens of thousands of dollars worth of modifications for 600-1500 horsepower tuner-specials.

The real world usually consists of people driving their VQ-powered nissans to work every day, and mostly leaving them stock, and a few people doing a little bit of tuning.

And street racing is a completely inappropriate thing to be doing with a stock vehicle, let alone a car with 1000 horsepower. That is what tracks are for. Go drag race somewhere sanctioned.

As for 600+hp daily drivers, please also notice that I said:

And if it is a weekend toy, then perhaps there are better choices for more than 600hp.

If a small block or big block V8, or an RB or 2JZ inline 6 are better engines for the kind of thing you describe, then use those. And use them on the track, not on the street. Put your own lives, property, and money at risk, not bystanders or property owners, or the taxpayers.

I think that blasting the VQ engine for the reasons you claim is falacious, and I think that while you and your compatriots with more horsepower than can practically be used, are free to have whatever hobby you want and can afford, but definitely should not be racing on public streets. Seek your "rush at 20psi" on a closed course.

I never said the cars internals were factory, i was talking about the block, the stock block cant even handle that power. Obviously these cars have forged internals.I was jsut saying if your gonna build a power beast you would have to start from scratch, custom blocks can cost in the thousands. I have seen 2jzs with 800rwhp, the only things that were repaced was the internals and the turbo setup, and bolts on intake manifold, stock head, cams and block. Who said anything about driving a 600hp as a everyday driver, i said they have problems after 600hp, and 600hp isnt that much power, there are guys living around here that still street race there 1000rwhp cars. If you dont belive me thats whatever but i have seen it. I drive a 600hp car on the streets when its nice. What i was saying is the design of the block cause more pressure to be put on certain parts. The RBs were far better performance engines thats all i was saying, did you know they came with crank cages from the factory, so if the bottom end blew it would damage any other parts. RB=Race breed and for a good reason cause the stock blockcould handle 1500+hp. I get about 180miles to 16.9 gallon tank on average with my 600hp car. Its not that bad. For the rush you get when that turbo hits 20+psi

The entire discussion on this thread started with stock engines.

There is a very simple and fundamental reason why Nissan and many other OEMs moved to the V6 configuration. Weight. Not so much engine mass but vehicle mass. The V6 is more compact than an I which means that a vehicle with a V can be smaller. Therefore the vehicle weighs less and money can be saved on chasis manufacture. This benefits fuel economy and the bottom line. This is also why there was the big move to FWD in the 80s.

Which makes you wonder, if the v6 is lighter and the 350z is actually a small car, why is it soo damn heavy?My supra is much longer and wider than the 350z even more so than the 93+ supras, yet my car only weighs 200lbs more with the inline 6 and the car being much bigger.

Also Iwannasportsedan if you read alot of my posts i say that i have been to the track dozens of times. So i do track race, as for what i do on the street why dont you let me worry about that because i could really car less about the opinon of some kid on a legacy website about what i do with my free time. Thanks for the concern though:wub:

Who said ANYTHING about racing on the street? Why do you jump to the conclusion that a car with some power is inherently dangerous to the public in general? A Rabbit Diesel driven is quite capable of causing serious injury and death.

there are guys living around here that still street race there 1000rwhp cars. If you dont belive me thats whatever but i have seen it. I drive a 600hp car on the streets when its nice.

That sounds like street racing to me, at least about the "freinds" with 1000hp cars.

And

as for what i do on the street why dont you let me worry about that because i could really car less about the opinon of some kid on a legacy website about what i do with my free time.

Sounds like our resident 05GT Guru takes part on occasion as well.

And if a Rabbit Diesel is capable of becoming an instrument of death, a testosterone and adrenaline addled driver with his foot on a 1000hp throttle, capable of loosing traction in an instant, and racing on public streets is certainly more probable to do so.

And it kinda pisses me off that people race on the street, which is HIGHLY ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR, and seem to get away with it, and the police have nothing better to do than pull me over for my side-window tint, when I am a very responsible, mostly LAW ABIDING driver, and was perfectly obeying the traffic laws both times in the last three months that i was pulled over SOLELY for "tinting", and the associated tax/fine collection.

I pose NO UNDUE THREAT to anyone else in the vacinity of my car. Street racing is inherently extremely dangerous for everyone in the vicinity. THAT IS WHY RACE TRACKS EXIST, to get that kind of thing OFF THE STREET!

I have no obligation to treat irresponsible behavior, or those who practice it, with respect. Street racing is GROSSLY IRRESPONSIBLE.

I am no kid. I am 30 years old, and I know the difference between right and wrong. I am not so sure about you, based on your statements. Good for you if you go to the track, it's the right thing to do. KEEP IT THERE.

I'll let you worry about what you do on the street when it doesn't produce unreasonable risk for bystanders, public and private property, regardless of you and your friends killing each other in the event that an accident happens. You don't seem responsible enough to be entrusted to simply look out for yourself, when you put others in danger in public without much concern.

Maybe your fellow Supra driver Nick Hogan should be a lesson to you, of what can happen. Or the recent story about a BMW driver and three passengers who were killed on a high-speed run. At least on a sanctioned track, everyone knows what goes on, there are safety measures, and bystanders, and passengers, as well as drivers, are there with full knowledge and acceptance of the risk involved, and the only property at risk is owned by people who acknowledge that risk, as well. On public streets, that is not necessarily the case.

And, on a side note, mentioning why the new cars are heavier... it is called increased weight due to safety equipment. NHTSA regulations have gotten more strict since the 93 supra was built, and almost all new cars are heavier than they were 15 years ago.

I didn't realize the '07 and up Z's have a newer 3.5 engine. Further research revealed this to be the VQ35HR.

Even further research revealed the top of the line Z is now called the "Nismo," and let me tell you, I've found a new car to daydream about. Wow, I've owned two turbo Z's (and '83 280 and an '86 300) and I've always been a fan of Nissan.

I'd take one over a Spec B, sorry.

Ha...

The Nismo version of the 350Z is like the spec. B version of LGT.

However, I guess the grass is always greener on otherside.....

The new VQ35HR engines are sweet. However, the Nissans that use these engines are on the portly side. Nissan has been saying that they will be dropping the curb weight of the vehciles by 15% in the next generation models.

A 2010 3000lb 370Z with 350 HP engine sounds very interesting.

Also, the new GT-R engine is based off the VQ35HR. The VQ35HR is quite stout and looks like the had FI in mind when the designed it. IF, the rumours are true. Get ready for some turbo action in Z and the Infinit Gs within a year or two in a special sports edition trim.

Ha...

The Nismo version of the 350Z is like the spec. B version of LGT.

However, I guess the grass is always greener on otherside.....

The new VQ35HR engines are sweet. However, the Nissans that use these engines are on the portly side. Nissan has been saying that they will be dropping the curb weight of the vehciles by 15% in the next generation models.

A 2010 3000lb 370Z with 350 HP engine sounds very interesting.

Also, the new GT-R engine is based off the VQ35HR. The VQ35HR is quite stout and looks like the had FI in mind when the designed it. IF, the rumours are true. Get ready for some turbo action in Z and the Infinit Gs within a year or two in a special sports edition trim.

Sweet!

Unable to afford the GTR, the Nismo Z does look very enticing! But waiting for a lighter 370z a few years from now? That sounds MOST economical. ;)

Thanks!

Which makes you wonder, if the v6 is lighter and the 350z is actually a small car, why is it soo damn heavy?My supra is much longer and wider than the 350z even more so than the 93+ supras, yet my car only weighs 200lbs more with the inline 6 and the car being much bigger.

The Z would probably have to be even heavier (bigger) with an "I".

My J30 was built like a brick shti house. Smallish sedan that weighed in at close to 3800lbs.

I didn't realize the '07 and up Z's have a newer 3.5 engine. Further research revealed this to be the VQ35HR.

Even further research revealed the top of the line Z is now called the "Nismo," and let me tell you, I've found a new car to daydream about. Wow, I've owned two turbo Z's (and '83 280 and an '86 300) and I've always been a fan of Nissan.

I'd take one over a Spec B, sorry.

The Spec.B is a different car than the Z. The Z is pure RWD sports while the Spec.B is a true AWD GT. I'd love to have a Z as a second car but I'd probably pick a Miata over it. However, I don't care to have money tied up in vehicles (depreciating assets) so I picked one that can do it all pretty damn well.

No way a Z would have made into my driveway last night.

Archived