LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8 GT

No what I think he means is that the G8 GT isn't the top model of G8. There is a G8 GXP or something coming out which would be comparable to the SRT8's. That model of the G8 is reported to be at least 400 HP vs the GT's 358 or whatever

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GM rarely brings out it's fastest models when they are first introduced a new model. You had to wait for the Solsice GXP, Trailblazer SS, HHR SS, Z06, ZR-1, Ram-air, etc.......
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

No what I think he means is that the G8 GT isn't the top model of G8. There is a G8 GXP or something coming out which would be comparable to the SRT8's. That model of the G8 is reported to be at least 400 HP vs the GT's 358 or whatever

Yes that was what I was saying.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Well what is the GXP G8 gonna have, a tuned ls2 lol there gonna charge you a whole bunch more money for a car with just a better tune and probably soem free flowing exhaust, god i cant wait for the Trans Am to come back

No. If the G8 sells well then they will probably come out with a GXP with the LS3 engine from the Corvette. The LS2 is dead. The GXP would have something like 430 HP. 70 HP increase. It will probably also have some suspension mods, slightly nicer interior and wheels. It will probably be around 40k like the SRT-8 models. Not bad for a low 13/high 12 second full size car that can handle.

The G8 GT was designed to be pretty mainstream like the 300. The L76 v8 has DOD and runs on 87. It is currently only mated a 6 speed auto. It is related to the LS2 but they were designed for difference purposes.

The GT will be capable of breaking into 11s with bolt ons.

The GT will be capable of breaking into 11s with bolt ons.

Hey Neelnug, what exactly do you mean by bolt ons? My last two cars have been turbo'd (wrx, LGT). It seems that ecu tunes net alot on turbo's, but what exactly do you mod on N/A cars? I am a total nub when it comes to that and the G8 is on my short list of cars I might look into getting. Thanks!

To break into the 11's bolt ons would include a blower, drag slicks, headers, low compression pistons, forged crank, forged con rods, and a really beefed up tranny and rear end.

Pulling a 1/4 in the 11's means trapping at over 120mph, closer to 130mph.

I'm not seeing that with "bolt ons" like an exhaust and intake, sorry.

Yeah 11's will be hard with bolt one. The new 2008 LS3 vettes are doing it with bolt on's so there is no way the G8 GT or GXP will get there with just bolt ons.

The Vette is 700 lbs lighter and makes 430 crank, however with intake, header, and tune both the A6 and MT6 are both getting into the 11's on stock run flats no problem. Most are pulling 11.8's with that setup however someone just posted on the vette forum that he ran an 11.56 with just those bolt ons and slicks. Pretty impressive!

Actually its not hard to hit 11s, you just need the proper bolt ons and a good driver, i have seen 11 second Trans Am ls1 cars with just bolt ons, i have seen a 99 cobra with full bolt ons, tune and slicks run a 11.2 with only 347rwhp at full weight 3400lbs without even loosing the valve cover. The G8 is gonna have a harder time thanks to its weight, i have seen cam only Camaros and trans ams making 400rwhp run 10s with under 4 grand worth of work, stock bottom end, just new cam, valve train, intake manifold, intake, header, exahust, 4.10 rear end gears, and drag radials. Hitting 11s with the right car isnt hard. Hell the ls2 vette with just drag radials can hit 11s.

I want this G8.

What troubles me the most about the LGT is the horrible mileage.

We struggle to get 25 highway (revs WAY too high).

Why is a 700+lb heavier car (G8) with more than DOUBLE the displacement able to likely get 25mpg highway?

The LGT mileage sucks bad.

Lol, what you should really ask yourself is what is a 6.2liter 625hp car doin that we arent to get 24mpg freeway lol. Pushrods may be old but they work, not to mention a 6 speed in a GM car is alot different than one is ours, at 90mph in my 6 speed T/A i would be at 2100rpms. Even the 6 speed spec b would be over 3000rpms at 90 the gears are soo much longer, i could hit 155mph in 5th gear in a 6 speed, and the speed limit was set for 160something lol

what would make you think that pushrods have anything to do with it?

Any car with 6+ liters of engine displacement should be able to idle at 60mph with the right gearing. 6 liters regardless of cam arrangement.

And you are always carrying around a 6 liter engine. In a 4000lb car. And if you drive it like it has a V8, it will suck gas just like any truck, or anything else filling 8 cylinders the size of soup cans with the proper amount of fuel to not run too lean.

IF the Legacy's Mileage is such a resounding problem, then give up the performance. Sorry, but it is JUST that simple.

There are 2.5i Legacys. There are now 3.0 liter legacys. Drive them like a normal car, don't expect class-leading performance, and it'll be easier on your fuel tank.

If you want TURBO power, pay the price. I do. I am not happy about the speculation price of a barrel of oil, but I still fill up my tank, and enjoy my stage 2 legacy.

The only reason i mention pushrods ,is because every import car ever and some domestics brag about dual overhead cams, some ford v8s have 4 cams, yet noone can seem to hit the same power as GMs pushrod motor but still yeild the same gas mileage, the 660hp mercedes gets 12/16, the viper about the same. I just think its funny how everyone i have ever talked to with an import thinks that DOHC sticker is a god send. And i agree 25mpg freeway is good enough for me because i want my car to have some performance, and when i mean some im talking better than a v6 15second accord lol.

I have no problems with the engine and transmissions of American cars, thats not my problem with them. Japanese and European car manufacturers have always been envious of American automatic transmissions in particular. What I don't like about the cars are the designs and refinement. I wouldn't be seen dead in a Ford Explorer, Z28 or Pontiac Grand Prix of the last decade.

I don't understand rear drum brakes, I don't understand solid rear axles and I don't understand leaf springs, all for a daily driver, I just don't. The improved engines and transmissions made you forget all that but I'm the kind of driver that didn't forget it.

This decade has seen a lot of good things coming out of GM, they had to hit bottom first before they did it. If this was the same old GM the CTS would have been scraped :), Ford is still in "old Ford" mode and look what happened to the Lincoln LS. I think GM is getting much better and if they keep at it I will look at them eventually.

+10000 to that. Are you European, like me, or what? :lol:

The only reason i mention pushrods ,is because every import car ever and some domestics brag about dual overhead cams, some ford v8s have 4 cams, yet noone can seem to hit the same power as GMs pushrod motor but still yeild the same gas mileage, the 660hp mercedes gets 12/16, the viper about the same. I just think its funny how everyone i have ever talked to with an import thinks that DOHC sticker is a god send. And i agree 25mpg freeway is good enough for me because i want my car to have some performance, and when i mean some im talking better than a v6 15second accord lol.

But what do the MB AMG engines and Viper's V10 (which is also pushrod, BTW) have as torque curves? and gearing?

Gearing has the most to do with it, and how low the cruising RPMs can be. LOW RPM is the key to SBC's fuel economy rating, and a 6 liter engine has enough latent torque to handle the mechanical disadvantage of a ~.5:1 top gear overdrive.

It really has nothing to do with pushrods being superior or inferior. Pushrods to have issues with bending, and have to be gapped for both ends, every lifter is another moving part, and every one of them has to touch the same cam. Not to mention the moving parts required for the valve train. Each one of those parts has to have a gap tolerance, is subject to RPM changes and part-to-part impact, has to be oil-fed, and has inertia to overcome as they oscillate.

Over head cams, even a V8 with four of them, have fewer, and smaller valve train parts, or more than two valves per cylinder.

BUT, they also tend to be built with lower displacement.

PLUS it is very hard to have more than two valves per cylinder, with pushrods, and nearly impossible to have variable valve timing, or variable valve lift, like ever more OHC engines are being equipped with. Those features make slight differences to maximum power, but definitely help with wide RPM range efficiency.

Imagine an LS series engine of 6-liters or more capacity, with OHC heads, and decades worth of development to sort it just so, as the pushrod design has. It might be slightly wider and taller of an engine, and maybe even a tad heavier. But with variable valve timing, and other innovations that other engines get, it would probably be better than current, not worse.

The pushrods are not the issue, aside from some of the outside dimensions of the engine. And plenty of cars fit SOHC and DOHC V8 dimensions. The displacement is the key, and 50 years of development. Frankly, after 50 years, I would be surprised if the SBC were any less developed than it is.

To break into the 11's bolt ons would include a blower, drag slicks, headers, low compression pistons, forged crank, forged con rods, and a really beefed up tranny and rear end.

Pulling a 1/4 in the 11's means trapping at over 120mph, closer to 130mph.

I'm not seeing that with "bolt ons" like an exhaust and intake, sorry.

See the link below. It is a little more then what I would consider "standard" bolt ons but not much:

Ripshift Super Street

Cold air intake

Di Fillippo Exhaust

3.7 Diff Gears

Koni Suspension

Maf-Tune

Underdrive Pulley

Clutch

98 Octane

Drag Tires

= 11.8 @ 118

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833

See the link below. It is a little more then what I would consider "standard" bolt ons but not much:

Ripshift Super Street

Cold air intake

Di Fillippo Exhaust

3.7 Diff Gears

Koni Suspension

Maf-Tune

Underdrive Pulley

Clutch

98 Octane

Drag Tires

= 11.8 @ 118

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833

When I think of 11's I think of low to mid 11's. That is impressive nonetheless, but not exactly "bolt ons".

Agreed. When it is tuned for something other then pump gas I throw "bolt on" out the window. Since it isn't available on a daily basis then it isn't susstainable power therefore that car wouldn't have run 11.8 on 93. Also as much as I like seeing low times, when drag tires are used I also throw it out.

I want to see a car that can run 11's with either the factory tires or some other replacement tire that you can actually run daily on a car. When a car can do that then I consider it a beast.

On these high HP RWD cars drag tires can give up to a half second improvement off a trap time and increase the mph so much that it gives a false sense of what the car can do on the street.

Just my opinion though. It is one thing to build a race a strip car, but when trying to get realistic numbers on what "my G8" can do at a stoplight these are bogus numbers...to me anyway

But heres what your not getting, noone drives a rwd car with that much power as a daily driver, my trans am i stored, my supra same thing. So drag radials are street tires, slick arent, i can launch my 520rwhp supra at 4500rpms with ease on the street with drag radials and beat most AWD i have raced even off the line, well if you can beat a AWd off the line with a RWD car making the same or more power at the crank you pretty much got the race won. Poeple dont dtive CTS-vs, GTOs, Trans Ams, Camaros v8s anyway, vettes, or any of these cars in the winter, if they do they morons and ruining a perfectly beautiful machine and need to sell it to someone who will treat it right. so drag radials are fine for my cars other than my DDs. BTW N/A cars do not pick up anywhere near the hp a FI car would by using higher octane gas, he probably picked up .2or less. The point is Bob cosby ran an 11.6 with drag radials in a bolt on only 99 cobra at 347rwp and with slicks ran an 11.2 like i said at full weight of 3400lbs. Its dumb to say i wanna see a RWD car that can run 11s on street tires, because the more hp you add the less traction your gonna have, if you wanna run 11s, get a ls2 car add drag radials and exhaust and a 125shot and your done 11s are yours. BTW I can launch my car almost as hard on the street as i can at the track yes i have gotten the front tires off the ground on the street. The 347rwho cobra had the front end 4 feeet off the ground when it ran a 11.6 with just 347hp getting to the wheels

^^^ they drive them in the rain and some drive them in cold weather and even, - gasp! - snow.

They are cars. Everybody has a different definition of streetable.

Give me a good set of snow tires and a throttle with nice progressive response that can be driven with finesse, and I'll take a 600whp RWD car anywhere the tires and ground clearance will allow.

Archived