LegacyGT.com

Is there an AS tire good enough to use year round?

rs6er

Potenza RE960A/S ... do a search for it and you will see a bunch of other options too. it is a high performance tire though, and it will most likely be more expensive than other, less exciting choices.

Easy, Nokian WR the only all-season rated essentially as a winter tire also. I have owned two sets and have nothing negative to say on them except for very average dry performance. They are top tier priced. I yet to drive another all-season tire that matches their winter performance and this includes my current RE960's on WRX and brother's ContiExtremeContacts on a Saab 95 Aero.

Tire Rack does not sell Nokians (they restrict mail-order sales) so they aren't included there. CR did test the Nokian WR against dedicated snows - the charts posted around here somewhere. The Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge has a good reputation, though.

The Nokian WR is an all-season (iwith the severe service snow rating) and has a treadwear warranty. Most dedicated snows do not. There is a new model, the WRG2, but I have not seen any reviews.

I got them for my OBW after trying them on my wife's minivan. They impressed me enough that I took the Nokian RSi's I have off the car in February.

We now have WR's on four of our personal or company cars. Several friends - Legacy GT, Outback wagon, Pacifica - have them as well. They pretty much all say it's the best all-around tire they've ever owned. It's about the best tire for New England driving conditions that I've been able to find. I'd like to try the G2's but we haven't worn anything out yet. When the dedicated snows we have on an Accord, (RSI)and Quest (X-Ice) wear out, they will also be replaced with WR's.

There are good reviews at snowtire.info and also one at Canadian Driver for the WR and RSI.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I had pretty good success with BFGoodrich Traction T/A's on my old '97 GT, those things had a ridiculous amount of traction in the summer and in the wet and I never had a problem here in VT with the snow and you know how its been for the last few winters

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Hankook w300

These are technicly a high performance winter tire but I use them on my wifes minivan and jetta wagon all year round and on my LGT for a winter tire. Their dry performance in better than the stock tires on the LGT, less noise and better wear. Snow performance is excellent.

define good enough. i find the re92 to be good enough. an all season will not be very good at any one thing but it should be good enough in each condition it might see to pass as a usable tire. lol

+1

Don't think of the RE-92 as the Devil, according to everyone else on this board...

I have thoroughly beat on my RE-92's for three years now, and have gone to Whistler and Sun Peaks countless times with a full family on board (who trust me not to end their collective lives...), and we are all still here.

To tell the truth, I have driven on mountain highways through sheeting rain, light and heavy snow, and the car feels more at home then compared to blasting the highway in the hot summertime.

The RE-92's are worst when blasting the highway during the hot, sweaty summer. They have always felt squemish and greasy at high G loads... but if your wife isn't pressing her Legacy, then don't worry.

But some ContiExtreme in a few years when the RE-92's wear out.

Oh man...

I haven't died. I still am posting up here even though I run the God-Damn RE-92's...:rolleyes:;)

C'mon. People drive in all sort of shitty cars with shitty tires and shitty driving skills - and hey, most of them are alive, too!

Guest heightsgtltd
^ Don't listen.

Get rid of RE92 for the safety sake - shorter braking distance.

As much as it pains me to do so, I agree with Unclemat :hide::lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest PeteAWD
I bought these cheap ass Runway Enduro 916's at STS. A little noisy, but a great AS tire so far. I know they're probably junk, I don't care, I'm getting a custom set of 18's fitted with some flashy ass brand Summer tires in March.

P-Zero Neros... 'nuf said :)
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

^disagree. The PZero Nero M+S were dangerous in slushy snow. I don't know if the new PZero Nero All Seasons are any better.

I feel quite the opposite. This his been debated to death about this tire. Search for it here.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived