LegacyGT.com

Engine and Turbo Blew

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru just called and said the engine is good but the turbo is bad. $2100 to fix it.

Swing by my place on saturday. I'll install a new turbo and warranty it for a year for $2,000. Sweet Jebus!

ignore him, he'll go away.

If you have to pay out of your pocket, I would definitely upgrade your turbo. Your $2100 (+/- a few hundred) would be much better spent buying an UP, a DP, and a tune for one of the following

(a) used FMIC, used WRX style 20G, new injectors, new fuel pump, used intake

(b) new TMIC, VF40-18G

I am pretty sure that your lawyer can make them back down without any problem at all. No jury in the country will let a dealer or auto manufacturer get away with that kind of BS.

The military had several engines running all the time without changing the oil, just adding some whenever needed and they NEVER STOPPED! Last I heard, the engines had many millions of miles. Changing oil is not that important. JMO.

Subaru just called and said the engine is good but the turbo is bad. $2100 to fix it. This is definately a lesson learned. Keep all records!! Thanks for all the advice! They say it was a half a quart low on oil, Bullshit. I check it all the time. Thanks again!!

Seriously?! Don't do it.

As everyone else has mentioned, you can upgrade your car for that price. Or in the worst case, you could find a low mileage VF40 from someone who's upgraded their turbo and have that installed.

I am pretty sure that your lawyer can make them back down without any problem at all. No jury in the country will let a dealer or auto manufacturer get away with that kind of BS.

The military had several engines running all the time without changing the oil, just adding some whenever needed and they NEVER STOPPED! Last I heard, the engines had many millions of miles. Changing oil is not that important. JMO.

1. You'd be surprised at what the manufacturer can get away with. They have lawyers on the payroll.

2. Changing your oil is VERY important.

Subaru just called and said the engine is good but the turbo is bad. $2100 to fix it. This is definately a lesson learned. Keep all records!! Thanks for all the advice! They say it was a half a quart low on oil, Bullshit. I check it all the time. Thanks again!!

Have they checked to see if the filter in the banjo bolt is plugged up with sludge?

The turbo is $970.00, which means they are charging you around $1100.00 for labor. That seems high.

Have they checked to see if the filter in the banjo bolt is plugged up with sludge?

The turbo is $970.00, which means they are charging you around $1100.00 for labor. That seems high.

If they don't pay, get a new turbo, however I still believe with a good lawyer you can make them do so....

Your choice:

You can do it yourself now and pay out of your pocket, or get a lawyer, court, wait maybe a couple of months and have them do it free, and not having a car to use during that time...

Your call pal...

Good luck to whichever you decide...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Just saw this!! Make sure that they change all of the oil lines also b/c they said that my turbo died the first time b/c it wasn't getting proper cooling. Well, 23,000 miles later the turbo went again and that time it took the engine with it. Unfortunately, I was out of powertrain warranty(73000 miles); according to the dealership, the turbo is covered but the engine is not...So it's been 2 months and i'm still carless b/c they want $7000 to change out the engine and i can't find a used one anywhere... Moral of the story: HAVE THEM CHANGE ALL OIL LINES, especially if you are paying out-of-pocket.

Good Luck and take it to a different dealership to see if they'll cover the turbo.

If you look at sales they are close. The question is if oil starvation caused the issue why should we (the Subaru community) pay for his error thorough out increase car prices?

If oil starvation is the culprit, either the level got too low (owner's fault for not checking it, unless the service dept did not put enough in, and damage was done within a few hundred miles) or some oil line may have failed? In that case, an oil leak should have been evident, no?

Perhaps he should hire a non-SOA mechanic to have a look.

If it is under warantee, I would say the onus is on SOA to PROVE that the owner was somehow negligent, in order for them to deny him coverage.

Completely sucks for the op, regardless! :mad:

Just saw this!! Make sure that they change all of the oil lines also b/c they said that my turbo died the first time b/c it wasn't getting proper cooling. Well, 23,000 miles later the turbo went again and that time it took the engine with it. Unfortunately, I was out of powertrain warranty(73000 miles); according to the dealership, the turbo is covered but the engine is not...So it's been 2 months and i'm still carless b/c they want $7000 to change out the engine and i can't find a used one anywhere... Moral of the story: HAVE THEM CHANGE ALL OIL LINES, especially if you are paying out-of-pocket.

Good Luck and take it to a different dealership to see if they'll cover the turbo.

Wow man that sucks about your motor. What are you doing to find a used motor? Could your motor not be rebuilt?

Well, according to subie, it costs just as much to rebuild b/c of the extent of the damage. I've been searching online (lgt.com classifieds, Nasioc classifieds, etc). I really don't know where to look anymore b/c its been super difficult to find an engine thus far.

I'd def pay the 7 grand if i had it but i'm not that well off...

Good PM heads up. Thanks.

Sorry for your travails. $7k is a nasty touch.

A history of timely OCI's would go a long way.

The military isn't running turboed gasoline boxer engines.

Archived