LegacyGT.com

Engine and Turbo Blew

Bought my spec there....wouldn't deal with those guys again even if my life depended on it!!!

Who do you go to then? I've heard Burt is the most mod-friendly. Go Subaru is very accomodating, but they grossly overfilled my oil twice, ordered wrong parts, etc so I don't really trust them either.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SSpeed, personally I take mine to Flatirons Subaru in Boulder. They have great guys working there AND they even have a performance division right in HOUSE. They have even asked me if I plan on modding mine with AP and other items. They do have an in house racing division as well so I do believe they are very well qualified to give tuning advice. IMO. Check em out they're cool. http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/c-39-subaruperformance.aspx

^^^ I would go there if it wasn't so far away in boulder. I bought my bpm up pipe from them for 90$ brand new, good prices no doubt. I've had good fortune with burt on broadway, not the burt collission center but the burt subaru has been good to me. Arapahoe has been sheisty to me every single time I've gone there, no rental car for warranty work, they charged me 30$ to tighten a bolt on spoiler that I took in for warranty while I was getting an OC, I contested the 30$ to the sales manager and he said that because I have an aftermarket exhaust it caused the bolt to loosen from the vibration of the exhaust sound over time.:confused: Needless to say, that was the last time I went to them.

• 2 months later...

@subaruguy05 - Good luck with the replacement, hoipefully some or all wil be covered under warranty. I wouldn't roll over on it. If neccessary, get more people involved. Try to get stuff in writing and be sure to document your correspondence (dates, etc).

You know now that keeping records is important. I've done this with all vehicles I've owned. Like many here, I do my own maintenance. A small portion of this is trust factor and the rest is satisfaction knowing the job was done right.

With the exception of Marin Subaru, I'm not aware of any "good" subaru dealerships in my immediate area. The local dealer where I purchased my last car recently went under after over 60 years. I did trust one of their mechanics who did work on many of the VW's I owned before I became a Subaru convert. Now we are a subaru family. I'm sure part of the reason this dealership had difficulties was pricing. A gal of Subaru antifreeze was $32. We all buy it for $12-$15 elsewhere. They rarely got any business from me beyond vehicle purchase.

I've heard from friends that getting warranty repair from SOA can sometimes be tricky. Stick to your guns, keep good records and like others have said here... change your oil more frequently.

Good Luck

I went through a battle with Toyota for a week and got my short block replaced and they covered everything. In my experience stick to your guns and fight as much as you can, as said before document EVERYTHING. They would rather replace your engine then go to court.

An update for all.

I did get a new engine and turbo but it cost me about $1,500 ... the "10%" that SOA offered. I saw the Turbo. The shaft was sheared in half - most likely from bad back pressure. There was no way I can prove this to SOA and their stance is if you don't have receipts or service records from 'authorized and certified' places, well ... your toast...no matter what the T&C's say. Still at the mercy of the regional manager unless you can wait months or a years for a settlement - which I could not. It's my daily and only vehicle.

However, the car runs great ... even better than the original stock.

Burt even put in my 3rd party ACT for no charge - although no warranty - to be expected. The stock clutch is/was obviouly a POS.

Bullshit!! You got shafted!

You do not even have to show oil receipts to them! It's stated in the manual. They would have to prove the damage has been caused by lack of maintenance.

The 2005 turbo is known to go bad. That's exactly how they fail (shaft breakage). As I posted in the poll thread, they revised the turbo for 2006 - changed the part #. There are no failures for 2006 turbos reported.

Sue the freaking bastards in small claims for the $1500.

Can you point me to the service bulletin or documentation regarding the shaft breakage?

There is none that's public AFAIK. But I've been keeping eye on thee reports on the forum and there is tons of 2005 failure reports. Some members who are lucky to have good dealers reported that dealers are very aware of 2005 failures, and see them very frequently, consequently not giving any hassle warranting replacement.

Not all of them must be caused by the clogged banjo filters. Also many people report clean filters. E.g. mine at 40k mies was clean (my turbo, knock on wood is fine, and without shaftplay as well).

You do not even have to show oil receipts to them! It's stated in the manual. They would have to prove the damage has been caused by lack of maintenance.

Locked up bearings are a pretty good sign of lack of maintenance...;)

Always change your oil every 3750 if you have a turbo.

Save all of your receipts. Contrary to popular belief SOA will want maintenance records on turbo failures. I tell my customer's who do their own to save the oil filter box top and attached a photocopy of the receipt for oil,filter w/ date and mileage to the box top.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

just make up some records and shove it to them

I have seen some try that and they are still paying for a motor. SOA are not as dumb as you think.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

:confused:

MileHiSuby said his turbo failed. Which likely resulted in oil loss which killed the engine.

I'm guessing his turbo failed from not being properly maintained... as in oil changes. It takes quite a bit of neglect to lock a bearing up. Which is why I said he got off easy with a $1500 bill

IMO intervals should be 3000-3500miles MAX on full synthetic oil.

Per SOA manual it is 7500 miles for 2005. I do not recall getting a letter from SOA changing it.

Krzys

that is just plain crazy... IMO... I have never, in any car gone that long without an oil change.

What would you say about Honda recommening 10000 OCI (with filter changed each 20000 miles)?

BMW with variable OCI hitting 15000 miles?

Krzys

PS There is also time limit, so if you drive 8000 miles a year you would change oil annually.

At my previous job I had 130 miles one way commute. 1 week 650 miles + errands = 750 miles. 4 weeks 3000 miles. Do you really think that oil needs to be changed once a month?

7500 miles OCI was one of the reasons I bought Subaru, if they changed it I would politely ask them to take car back.

I'm guessing his turbo failed from not being properly maintained... as in oil changes. It takes quite a bit of neglect to lock a bearing up. Which is why I said he got off easy with a $1500 bill

The guy (MileHiSuby) says he changes his oil every 3500-5000 miles:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1599442#post1599442

Why everyone assumes that enthusiasts on this board are all of the sudden bunch of lazy slobs and liars who don't change the oil?

Turbo fails, oil is lost via exhaust. Of course, abuse! :rolleyes:

The guy (MileHiSuby) says he changes his oil every 3500-5000 miles:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1599442#post1599442

Why everyone assumes that enthusiasts on this board are all of the sudden bunch of lazy slobs and liars who don't change the oil?

Turbo fails, oil is lost via exhaust. Of course, abuse! :rolleyes:

I'm not assuming anyone is a lazy or a slob! I actually misread, I thought he said he went about 1000 miles over the OCI of 7500... my mistake.

What would you say about Honda recommening 10000 OCI (with filter changed each 20000 miles)?

BMW with variable OCI hitting 15000 miles?

Krzys

PS There is also time limit, so if you drive 8000 miles a year you would change oil annually.

At my previous job I had 130 miles one way commute. 1 week 650 miles + errands = 750 miles. 4 weeks 3000 miles. Do you really think that oil needs to be changed once a month?

7500 miles OCI was one of the reasons I bought Subaru, if they changed it I would politely ask them to take car back.

If I was on a lease with Honda or BMW fine I would go by their OCI. If I owned the car then yes every 3000-3500 even if it is once a month.

Archived