LegacyGT.com

Engine and Turbo Blew

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Changing your oil every 3500 miles will cost what? About an extra 6/10s of a penny a mile. And this is a car that gets about 20 miles per gallon on HIGH test! (about 17.5 cents per mile) Penny wise and pound foolish;)
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

If you keep changing your oil at 7500 OCI your engine WILL FAIL do yourself a favor and use 3500 OCI

-just sayin

Not true, I avg, 12k OCI on both my G/F's 05 WRX & my 05 LGT. Both motors & turbo are running prefect. OA's came back good for continued use. Link to OA's & more info. on my subaru's

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82383

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Not true, I avg, 12k OCI on both my G/F's 05 WRX & my 05 LGT. Both motors & turbo are running prefect. OA's came back good for continued use. Link to OA's & more info. on my subaru's

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82383

wow I'm surprised... call me old fashion but I'm still using Mobil 1 and 3500 OCI I drive really hard though.

You are using Amsoil too... that stuff is amazing.

^^^ That's fine, that's why I posted this reply at the end of my thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiralsmurf http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

honestly i dont understand the fascination with pushing your oil to the limit. i change my oil every 3-3.5k w/ elf synthetic at $40/change including filter. I like the time i spend under the car and there's no way any oil can protect for 15k as well as 3k.

Like Joe said, so of us drive alot. I do almost 40k a yr. My G/F about 25k. If I did 3k OCI. I would be under one of are cars every 4 wks. Not fun if I don't need to doit. I have better ways to spend my time & money.

IMO poeple need to maintain there vehicles in the way they see best. With out judging others. We all have are reason why we do what we do. We share info. on this fourm. To help & learn from each other. No fascination here.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Dealer OCI are created to cover safely EVERYONES driving style and conditions.

Without doing an analysis, NONE OF YOU KNOW if the oil needs changing or not for YOUR conditions and driving style.

Next time you change your oil at 3000 or 3750, send off a sample. When It comes back you can tell if it makes a difference or not. If 3000 mile OCI samples come back healthy, try 4000 next time, and so on...

With the advances in oil and engine manufacturing there is no reason for the average person in a newish car to need a 3000 mile OCI. Do we all really think that oil and engines are no better than they where 30 years ago? come on...

That being said, I know some of us drive hard, accelerate hard, etc. This does effect the oil. So will short trips when the moisture does not have time to evap out of the oil. So again, without an analysis of YOUR oil, you DON'T know if you NEED a 3000 mile OCI.

With the advances in oil and engine manufacturing there is no reason for the average person in a newish car to need a 3000 mile OCI. Do we all really think that oil and engines are no better than they where 30 years ago? come on...

Along those lines, I found this article pretty interesting reading about the reduction of additives in oil as emissions get tighter...

http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/ArticleDetails.asp?ID=-1228096506

Dealer OCI are created to cover safely EVERYONES driving style and conditions.

Without doing an analysis, NONE OF YOU KNOW if the oil needs changing or not for YOUR conditions and driving style.

Next time you change your oil at 3000 or 3750, send off a sample. When It comes back you can tell if it makes a difference or not. If 3000 mile OCI samples come back healthy, try 4000 next time, and so on...

That being said, I know some of us drive hard, accelerate hard, etc. This does effect the oil. So will short trips when the moisture does not have time to evap out of the oil. So again, without an analysis of YOUR oil, you DON'T know if you NEED a 3000 mile OCI.

Well put.

I advise my customers that have turbo motors to change every 3750 because I am trying to prevent an issue later on down the road. I do not know their driving style. Some of them still change their amsoil every 15k and others change at 7500. That is fine as it is their car and their money they will or will not be spending.

Personally my Cobra and Z/28 get changed at 6k(filters at 3k) and Legacy 4k.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

ah but were you using Syn oil?

Who are you referring to?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Fuel dillution should not be an issue. My engine is nice and warm at least 30 minutes when driving to work and another 30 minutes going back.

My current job is 50 miles away and it takes me 45 to 55 minutes to make it...........

You could still have a fuel dilution problem, even under this scenario.

If your oil level doesn't rise you shouldn't have to care about any dilution issues, and since petrol is a highly volatile fluid you will actually boil off the fuel from the oil relatively quickly.

So oil dilution is the least of the problems that are encountered if you have 50 miles to drive.

But I suggest that you check the API specification of the oil you use too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1664482#post1664482

453747.png

If your oil level doesn't rise you shouldn't have to care about any dilution issues, and since petrol is a highly volatile fluid you will actually boil off the fuel from the oil relatively quickly.

So oil dilution is the least of the problems that are encountered if you have 50 miles to drive.

But I suggest that you check the API specification of the oil you use too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1664482#post1664482

You won't know until you do UOA. According to Dyson he sees fuel diluted oil in our engines very often.

It's still the question of if it really is an amount that can have any impact.

It is of course possible to trace existence of fuel in the oil, but to really have an impact is a different question. If you get the amount of fuel into your oil where it becomes a problem then you will notice it on your oil stick, and if the engine burns the oil in a rate where it doesn't show on the stick I think that you will recognize that fact anyway by the blue clouds that you are covering your surroundings with.

And it's still a good idea to have regular oil changes. But claiming that you can get dilution of oil on an engine that has a 50 mile drive is a bit strange.

I suggest that you take your car for a longer drive and drop a few small drops of petrol on the outside of the engine block and see what happens. The outside of the engine block has a temperature that exceeds the boiling point of petrol and so does the oil if you drive that far, so what's left in the oil will only be some of the heavier elements existing in petrol, which in effect is - guess what? Oil! Even if it may not be the same molecules that you have in synthetic oil that's no big deal.

A bigger problem for turbo engines isn't actually the oil itself, but that a build-up of coke can occur in the bearings of the turbo. This is a combination of not letting the turbo cool down and too much contaminants in the oil. But the oil change intervals defined shall clear the latter part with a good margin unless the driving conditions are extreme.

This banjo bolt filter issue is of course something that has to be considered when doing maintenance and oil change.

And of course - it is important to check that the oil used is up to the requirements specified in the manual. This is important on turbo engines since the oil quality will take care of some of the coke problem. 15 to 30 seconds of idling after parking the car will help the turbo to cool down a bit too. Just shutting down the engine right away after a full throttle run is a turbo killer.

453747.png

15 to 30 seconds of idling after parking the car will help the turbo to cool down a bit too. Just shutting down the engine right away after a full throttle run is a turbo killer.

That's really only true on non-water cooled turbos...

Archived