LegacyGT.com

Engine and Turbo Blew

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been like 4,000 miles since my last oil change. We will see what happens! Any advice as far as getting a new motor and turbo? Should I just let the dealership do it or try to find a used one? And yeah, lesson learned!

The real oil change interval (SEVERE) is 3750 miles. If your at 4000 miles I would not even consider that to be close to over.

So are you at 4000 miles with a "blown" motor?

It's been like 4,000 miles since my last oil change. We will see what happens! Any advice as far as getting a new motor and turbo? Should I just let the dealership do it or try to find a used one? And yeah, lesson learned!

Used? You are far within the allowed OCI! You need to get new engine. Talk to SOA and hire a lawyer if necessary.

I record my activities on my.subaru.com. I realize it means as much as a little book....but at least the date you entered the information is noted. Receipts don't mean so much when you buy in bulk like me. I bought a case of filters and tend to buy enough oil for multiple changes.

+1. I record my changes on my.subaru.com too.

Consider this a good lesson - always, always, ALWAYS keep records of everything. This is why I have the dealership do all maintenance so that if something like that does come up, you don't have to deal with the finger pointing game.

Yep--and I have them fill out and sign my maintenance book every time ----- if something comes up I want be covered. Plus my dealership offers a 19.95 oil chancge for all customers. My car goes back there everytime. They Know my car, they know me and I am very ok with that.

just keep receipts of your oil and filter purchases (where ever you buy them from)

That's what I do. I purchase 1 filter at a time from my local dealer's parts dept and my oil from Autozone on the same date and staple them together to have dated proof of the purchase then write my mileage on those slips. From there it's easy math, ie. 4,000 miles and 3 1/2 months from the last change. Unless I'm going home and throwing away the new filters and dumping 4 1/2 quarts of new synthetic oil down the drain, that should do as proof.

Try another dealer! No way 4000 miles is excessive. If you had low oil and/or coolant and cooked the oil shortly after it was fresh, then that might explain things however. Hope you check your levels!

I think I am taking a long lunch break today to change MY oil!!!!

This is why I have the dealership do my oil changes. And I have them done ~400 miles before they are due. With the problems I am having with Subaru at the moment, I dont want to take a chance, and SOA can't come back at me with this crap.

1. It doesn't matter if you do your own service, if it's done at an independent shop or a Subaru dealer you should always keep accurate records "just in case".

2. Engine and turbo failures are usually the result of the lack of proper lubrication, as per the owners manual turbo vehicles use oil, you should be checking your oil level at every fuel fill-up. Acceptable oil usage according to Subaru is up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles. If you've gone 4,000 miles since your last oil change and your car is using 1 quart per 1,000 miles you have very little oil left to lubricate the parts. If this lack of lubrication caused your failure it is your responsibility and not a matter for warranty.

3. The burden of proof that the required maintenance has been performed is on you.

4. If you retain a lawyer remember that once you do that Subaru will no longer talk to you, their lawyers will contact your lawyer(s).

3. The burden of proof that the required maintenance has been performed is on you.

I don't know how it holds up in court, but the owners manual states that you do not have to keep receipts of maintenance items. You just have to say that proper maintenance was performed. I don't have my manual in front of me though.

I am a probably a thousand over but they cant prove that.

Ugh...yes they can. Don't post admissions in open forums.

Things dealers and their lawyers will acquire when your car is in for a major, suspicious issue:

- Pictures when the car is in, including looking at things like exhaust bolts, intake clamps, etc. for signs of removal

- Pictures of unrelated mods. Remember, in civil court the standard is the preponderance of evidence. Regardless if you don't think your suspension caused your motor to blow, it could easily prejudice a jury when they see a car slammed, w/ rims, etc. that you were more likely than not responsible for damage and tried to return to stock, etc.

- ECU data dump

Places they might serve discovery notice...

- Local dragstrip! You had to sign a liability waiver and possibly identify your car on it....ding, no warranty ;)

- Web forums! Although they generally don't need to serve discovery since most people forget to take down their dyno sheets, time slips....street racing stories...mod list...you get my point.

- Credit card statements! What, you spent $700 w/ TunerX 2 months ago...what for...hmmm

- Sales records from TunerX! Look what Mr. Blown Engine bought

Most of this doesn't apply to you, but the "my modz are undetectable" crowd generally are clueless. Regardless, if you were to sue now, if you genuinely know that you're 1000 miles past the service interval and lie about it - it won't be good thing. My suggestion if you talk to a lawyer is to be honest with him/her and let them drive the strategy.

Subaru just called and said the engine is good but the turbo is bad. $2100 to fix it. This is definately a lesson learned. Keep all records!! Thanks for all the advice! They say it was a half a quart low on oil, Bullshit. I check it all the time. Thanks again!!

Ya know, I do all my own oil changes (and other maintenece for that matter) and I write them down in the little book that comes with the owners manual. Does this count as "records" as far as the dealer is conserned? I hope I don't have any problems, but if I did am I SOL?

BTW, I bet a lot of people here do the same thing.

Yes and No.

They don't need receipts to verify your oil changes. If your doing what you need to do on schedule the motor won't be "all black" and sludged up inside.

Example ; If we had a car with a 7/70 warranty roll in with 69,000 miles and the motor was clean inside we would not even ask for records. Records like you reference above are perfectly legitimate if you have to produce them.

Just don't bring in a handfull of fresh handwritten receipts AND a sludged motor along with it, they will call BS.

I can understand how you feel, I personally would find a low mileage used motor. I would also take pictures of the engine apart if I were to pursue the issue.

You should have had a minimum of 4 or 5 changes by now.

I say turbo upgrade for that moolah!

X

Hell YES!!! 40GG BABY!!!!

Stock IC...

UP/DP and some extra goodies, and you are ALL SET!!!!!

P.S. Or get a good lawyer and sue the motherf**ckers, this is ridiculous as my previous post stated!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived