LegacyGT.com

Engine and Turbo Blew

well, my 5eat is probably dying ;). But i'll fix that soon enough.

Stock block here... 400+WHP on a 5EAT, so who knows how much on a 5MT. Not running super aggressive timing, 25-26lbs of boost, + meth, CA 91

had the setup tuned that the level for 4000 miles or so now. had a 345WHP setup for about 18K miles before that.

Block has 66K miles on it now.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it BS that an owner with absolutely no proof of oil changes is denied coverage? Lack of lubrication is the most likely reason for failure, not having any evidence of any oil changes is a good reason to deny coverage. We all know there is a percentage (hopefully small) that are neglectful with their cars and why should SOA or any car manufacturer eat it.

To the OP I am not saying you did not change your oil.

Just saw this!! Make sure that they change all of the oil lines also b/c they said that my turbo died the first time b/c it wasn't getting proper cooling. Well, 23,000 miles later the turbo went again and that time it took the engine with it. Unfortunately, I was out of powertrain warranty(73000 miles); according to the dealership, the turbo is covered but the engine is not...So it's been 2 months and i'm still carless b/c they want $7000 to change out the engine and i can't find a used one anywhere... Moral of the story: HAVE THEM CHANGE ALL OIL LINES, especially if you are paying out-of-pocket.

Good Luck and take it to a different dealership to see if they'll cover the turbo.

AND the banjo bolts with the filters in them!!!!

Well I am definately not getting Subaru to pay for it, and yes I did change my oil just have no proof. My Bad! I want to get a new turbo but don't know how to put one in.I'm not good at working on cars. Any Ideas on where to get an install? Does it need to be timed to the motor at all or is it pretty easy? I want to spend like 1500 If i can get away with it. Don't want to pay $2100 for another stock turbo. Would rather upgrade. Whats the best turbo that my stock motor can handle without upgrading a bunch of stuff? Thanks

Well I am definately not getting Subaru to pay for it, and yes I did change my oil just have no proof. My Bad! I want to get a new turbo but don't know how to put one in.I'm not good at working on cars. Any Ideas on where to get an install? Does it need to be timed to the motor at all or is it pretty easy? I want to spend like 1500 If i can get away with it. Don't want to pay $2100 for another stock turbo. Would rather upgrade. Whats the best turbo that my stock motor can handle without upgrading a bunch of stuff? Thanks

If you want to spend $1500, including installation costs, you probably just need to buy a VF40-18G. A VF40-18G is a stock turbo with its compressor wheel taken out and a higher flow compressor wheel installed. With that upgrade, you don't have to install bigger fuel injectors and a bigger fuel pump.

If you could find a local Subaru enthusiast to help you with the install, you could afford to get all those goodies with a real TD06-18G turbo since you'd save the installation costs.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem

My turbo just failed at 50,600mi. I have the records of the changes but I did not keep the receipts. I change my oil regularly at 3500-4000miles but without receipts that is a problem.

Of course you could just go by oil and filters, keep the receipts and not actually change them :-)

The dealer said they talked with SOA and they will go 90/10 and that would cost me about $1000 and that includes a new short block.

I don't know about holding out and fighting themm .... even though I think it should all be covered under my 2005 GT warranty.

BTW - the warranty manual says SOA "cannot deny warranty soley for the lack of receipts or for your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance"....but that apparently does not make any difference any way. I still may call SOA and go beyond the dealer.

Consider this a good lesson - always, always, ALWAYS keep records of everything. This is why I have the dealership do all maintenance so that if something like that does come up, you don't have to deal with the finger pointing game.

yup.

had an old busted mazda with 200k miles for trade. i bought it used but still kept track of every oil change, new tires, alternator etc...everything. did the same with my old contour, mazda, now my subie. always.

BTW - the warranty manual says SOA "cannot deny warranty soley for the lack of receipts or for your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance"....but that apparently does not make any difference any way. I still may call SOA and go beyond the dealer.

Go beyond the dealer.

Question, what kind of oil did you use?

I know some people haven't liked to hear this, but if turbos are failing on this regular a basis due to oil starvation, odds are its oil coke.

Call up SOA and be very very nice. I had a 92 Legacy in 1999 the tranny went out with a 110 miles on the clicker. I called up SOA said I was a poor college kid and could use the help. They paid 100% of the tranny job.

Agree with this. If you lsoe your cool with either the dealer or SOA, you have lost.

I use either Mobile One or Castrol GTX both 10-30.

Yesterday a questioned the service manager and the tech. They had not even pulled the turbo to determine a cause of failure. The tech did get his hand up in there to the impellor to confirm the turbo failed but thats about it.

They said all the failures they have seen with the exception of one is poor maintenance.

I will call SOA today and see how that turns out.

Its just coincidence that the cost to me will be about $1000 (the list cost of a turbo)? I dont know if I should trust the manager or not ... probably not??

Hey guys,

I'm gonna step in here with some advice on how to fight this. I'm not a Subaru expert, but I feel like this guy needs some better advice.

1.) The onus of proof is on the dealership, not you. If you are at 4000 or 5000 miles since your last oil change, you are fine. Your original manual states that under normal conditions you can drive 7500 miles between oil changes. A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was issued stating that turbo engines should receive oil changes at 3750 mile intervals; but was that TSB mailed to you or proven to have been provided to you in some manner? I don't know about you, but I don't receive anything short of recalls for my car.

2.) Stating that your oil is black is not proof of anything. Oil gets black under normal use and does not signify the oil being old. Also, when did the oil become black? Were you forced to continue driving after your turbo started to go? Could this have resulted in doing nasty things to your oil resulting in it becoming black very quickly? Who knows.

3.) Do NOT get an Oil Analysis. It's too late. The turbo is gone, and who knows what that did to the oil in the process. The car has been kept at the dealership for awhile now...who knows what they could've done to it. Further, the car has sat for awhile. You could only get a cold-oil sample from a car that sat for awhile; this will result in an Oil Analysis that looks bad. Don't do it.

4.) Document all conversations you have. If needed, send a certified letter to yourself with all current conversations written out on it (this will timestamp the letter). Or, send yourself or friends some e-mails. Send SOA some e-mails. Get stuff in writing, timestamped, of what's happening. From the conversations on here, the dealership just flat-out assumed that it is your fault for poor maintenance without doing any background research. "Oh, the oil's black. Guy probably didn't change his oil. We won't cover it." <--- Not an argument

5.) If it is your fault, i.e. you went too far over your oil change interval, then own up to it and ask for assistance in the repair. Don't lie about it, just be honest and ask for assistance.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

1) I never received any information on the TSB but this is good info. I even asked the dealer about a TSB. I was told a TSB was issued for the banjo bolt to be replaced on engines with turbo failures.

2) The dealer just said the oil is black, shows metal (duh - the turbo bearings went out) and was thick (duh - it was cold and they only started it to drive it into the shop)

3) I was told that Subaru would do an oil analysis to determine oil viscosity, if it overheated or was in there too long.

4) Have not documented conversations yet but that is a good idea.

5) I may have surpassed the 3750 but certainly not 7500 miles

Thanks again. I will be contacting SOA.

I change all my own oil because I have been behind the scenes to see what crap they put in your oil for that $20 coupon. They put the 99 cents a quarts stuff that nobody buys at the autoparts store. I used to work for one of those stores and we would sell box after box of the cheap stuff, you wanna know how many mobile 1 or name brand oils we sold to dealers. NONE!! So because I prefer synthetic and a well known name I do my own oil changes. Plus you trust those idiots with your car?? You know how many horror stories I have heard about forgetting to put the oil in or leaving the drain plug off.

What chaps my hide about this story and all of the warranty denials is we probably all get the d@mn Subaru Drive and the performance version of the magazine each month. Coming from Subaru they have stories about modified cars and what a great platform Subaru is for it...

But then someone comes in with a clutch or a turbo problem that has no mods at all and they deny the claim. What good is the warranty then?

Really, let's just feature the 2.5i and base model Imprezas in the Subaru magazine then....

A) I took my Suby to Burt on Broadway

B) Yes, horror stories. Burt really mucked up a friends WRX so bad, that mgr was fired.

I do my own maintenance not only because I am well qualified but also the trust factor. Those who messed up the WRX were "master" mechanics... maybe it was 'Craig' :-(

C) they say the cost is ~10K and it will take them a day to do it. OK, trbo llist ~1,000 plus shortblock ~1,500 = 2500 = 7500 in gaskets and other labor???

Archived