LegacyGT.com

Would you put headers on your lgt?

tommypenguin

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EL would be quieter. I have the UEL with stock exhaust and it's noticable. I had TRUST axlebacks a year ago and sold them due to the increase in cabin noise. The axlebacks were made for the JDM Legacy. The reason they sounded louder on the USDM Legacy is because the JDM Legacy has EL headers and the USDM one is UEL.

Anyone running a Grimmspeed Port and Polished stock exhaust manifold w/ or w/o a crossover pipe and/or ceramic coating?

For the price, it seems hard to beat. And I would think their treatment would leave the stock durability mostly in place.

Joe

Yeah me too, but I would hate to completey lose the boxer rumble... :redface:

No doubt that the rumble is a nice note. I was a little nostalgic when I put ont he Perrin EL, but got over it pretty quickly.

Maybe some vendor could come up with some type of electronic exhaust note modification device. I'd like mine to sound like a shot of bourbon being poured. That makes me happy. :lol:

As long as you know all the facts and both sides of the debate I cannot hold your opinion against you. However you can't say ELH ruins the sound of the exhaust note, it simply changes it to something that some ppl like a lot, and some ppl dislike a lot. Likewise, i don't like the boxer rumble anymore, but i don't say its *bad* or *ruins* a good car, i just don't like it and i went for a performance upgrade that also happened to get rid of it as a side benefit.

Agreed. Note the IMHO in my post. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
just put on perrin headers, and the answer is yes... more oomph all around (technical term) ceramic and wrapped and if... they do eventually crack big whoop 10 minutes to weld or $15 bucks to some other guy to weld em.... on that note why didn't perrin make them out of Iconel tubing like these guys did perrin is already charging enough... http://www.thermallogic.co.uk/page3.html ... I am sure these guys charge an arm and a leg for there's but they look niiiiice if its good enough for WRC its good enough for my outback :)

obj94geo156pg4p2.jpg.df06b11c8e7f838d2dab5c17174b9741.jpg

Since I wanted to keep the car quiet for now with stock CBE, wanted to do everything else at once and get the headaches of pre-turbo leaks out of the way.

Went MadDad for coated versions being under warranty, consistently good reviews from NASIOC, and 3-bolt UP/header connection. Also supposed to help with velocity stack near top of UP. NASIOC test did show some gains, so I'm pleased.

Grimmspeed parts are on and very pleased. These things are a work of art.

All parts are coated on the inside and out except the cross-over (flex section maybe?).

Anyway, I have nothing but the butt dyno and over stock there is a very noticable midrange gain. A bit stronger from 2.5rpm on up with more noticable ummmft... at about 3.5k (no, come on now...yes it's the turbo spooling - someone was going to say it. More so than before...definately)

Clark Turner just sent me a map for it so I'll flash it later tonight.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

All parts are coated on the inside and out except the cross-over (flex section maybe?).

Anyway, I have nothing but the butt dyno and over stock there is a very noticable midrange gain. A bit stronger from 2.5rpm on up with more noticable ummmft... at about 3.5k (no, come on now...yes it's the turbo spooling - someone was going to say it. More so than before...definately)

did you have any problems Tuning a 2008 model ?

This is the direction that I'm heading - GS P&P Manifold > GS COP > GS UP (all thermal coated). Not willing to sacrifice the boxer rumble - which everyone knows is what makes a Subaru a Subaru..., but the higher flowing manifolds (and larger COP) into the larger GS UP is proving to be a VG replacement for the stock system/alternative to headers. Price-wise, you're at uncoated header prices, but keeping the cast iron manifolds (with their ability to retain heat w/o cracking) seems to me the best way to go IMO.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

This is the direction that I'm heading - GS P&P Manifold > GS COP > GS UP (all thermal coated). Not willing to sacrifice the boxer rumble - which everyone knows is what makes a Subaru a Subaru..., but the higher flowing manifolds (and larger COP) into the larger GS UP is proving to be a VG replacement for the stock system/alternative to headers. Price-wise, you're at uncoated header prices, but keeping the cast iron manifolds (with their ability to retain heat w/o cracking) seems to me the best way to go IMO.

I have heard that a P/P job on the stock manifolds is a good lower cost solution to headers. Do you have an idea of the gains with a PP job on a set? Is the stock manifold EL or UEL ?

I have heard that a P/P job on the stock manifolds is a good lower cost solution to headers. Do you have an idea of the gains with a PP job on a set? Is the stock manifold EL or UEL ?

Truthfully, I don't know what you'd gain with a full, thermally coated P&P manifold, COP and UP - possibly 5-10 WHP/TQ, with a protune probably 15-20 maybe more. Stock manifold is UEL, which is what contributes to the boxer burble.

Truthfully, I don't know what you'd gain with a full, thermally coated P&P manifold, COP and UP - possibly 5-10 WHP/TQ, with a protune probably 15-20 maybe more. Stock manifold is UEL, which is what contributes to the boxer burble.

GEE-OTTO has a 2.5 i though. So no uppipe (no x-over either?). I thought I read somewhere as well that the 2.5i has equal length headers. I doubt P&P manifold on an otherwise stock or slightly modded 2.5i would yield much, if any, gains.

GEE-OTTO has a 2.5 i though. So no uppipe (no x-over either?). I thought I read somewhere as well that the 2.5i has equal length headers. I doubt P&P manifold on an otherwise stock or slightly modded 2.5i would yield much, if any, gains.

Zero to none then, would be my estimate. Lotta bang for no return

Really! i always thought they were EL because a Stock Subaru doesnt have the burble ? Ive heard stock LGT and 2.5is that are silent

Really! i always thought they were EL because a Stock Subaru doesnt have the burble ? Ive heard stock LGT and 2.5is that are silent

2.5i uses ELH - which is what your's has on it stock. GTs and 3.0Rs (I believe - but haven't verified this) use UEL. If you park a 2.5i and a GT next to each other and start and let both idle, while very "quiet" relatively, you'll notice that the GT has a burbling note in its exhaust sound while the 2.5i has a smoother, flatter sound from its exhaust. That's entirely due to the nature of the exhaust manifolds mixing/collecting exhaust pulses.

And my apologies for getting your HP/TQ gain hopes up. I didn't realize that you were referring to a 2.5i.;)

I think 2005 2.5i was UEL but 2006+ 2.5i was EL, but I might be wrong on this.

Btw, 2.5i is much louder than GT under WOT, but that's the nature of the turbo that muffles sound.

Archived